Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 02:36 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,709,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
Alright... no offense... but there is a GIANT difference between going into a store and buying TWO outfits for a gift and then buying many for a wardrobe to last a year. It is nearly impossible to find a full wardrobe that is appropriate any more... there is also a gian lack of understanding how a five year old should dress it seems. I will show you a visual of what I am faced to dress my child in These are all in HER SIZE of 7/8 (for a five-almost six year old first grader- although very tall- still a 7 yr old should not be allowed to dress this way either)

Honestly... does your jaw NOT drop? These are the styles that are the MAJORITY in Dept Stores... not what I am about to show you..

Now, this is how I WANT her to dress... and the kinds of clothes I need to search for..in terms of size and decent price...it shouldn't be this way

Oh.... and I deem all the items on the link to this wepage not acdeptable for a five year old as well
Shop for Novelty T-Shirts in the Clothing department of Sears.com
Pretty much all but perhaps two on THIS page... maybe three on page three... but does anyone see any SLEEVES????
Tops - Girls 7-16 - Kids - Macy's
I too would want them to wear what you prefer. I know The Children's Place has long sleeves and some cute skorts, tights, and leggings too. Basically I shopped there,Target, and Kohl's. Maybe go scope out the stores when they are not with you so you and them both don't get frustrated. If you find some clothes you like, have them hold them for you and bring your girls back to try on. I am just as frustrated as you! Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 03:43 PM

1,105 posts, read 4,570,612 times
Quote:
Alright... no offense... but there is a GIANT difference between going into a store and buying TWO outfits for a gift and then buying many for a wardrobe to last a year. It is nearly impossible to find a full wardrobe that is appropriate any more... there is also a gian lack of understanding how a five year old should dress it seems. I will show you a [/url]
I agree that most if not all of those dresses that you posted pics of are completely inappropriate for a child. My point was that is not all you can get at macys or any other store. I did state before that there are plenty of other clothes, you are just stressing over the fact that 1) you don't like the styles (for instance there is nothing suggestive on most if not all the clothes on the link at the bottom to macys, you just don't like them) and 2) they do sell SOME clothes that are inappropriate. By the way, ALL the clothes to the page you linked had sleeves, there was not one tank top.

I mean what is wrong with these tops and the one dress? I got them all from the same store you got the horrid, sexy dress pics from.

Anyone else as frustrated with Girls Clothes?-girlclothes1.jpg

Anyone else as frustrated with Girls Clothes?-girls2.jpg

Anyone else as frustrated with Girls Clothes?-girls4.jpg

Anyone else as frustrated with Girls Clothes?-girls5.jpg

I am really not trying to be arguementative. All I am saying is yes there are unacceptable clothes but don't panic, there are still plenty of clothes out there. You might not be crazy about them but they aren't all suggestive or sexy. And yes I realize, I don't have to buy a whole wardrobe but I just found four completely acceptable items in a matter of minutes from one store, Macys. Like I said before, there are always going to be styles that we cringe about.

Mysuggestion regarding not finding enough long sleeves. Get her a few cardigans, they are always cute. My son always complains about being too hot when the heat is on anyway. I never buy a ton of stuff for my son at the beginning of the year anyway. I buy him new clothes every couple of months or so, perhaps just buy an outfit or two as you see ones you like instead of doing this one big massive shopping spree?

Old 08-27-2008, 05:45 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,492,794 times
Quote:
I buy at the end of season for the most part. But my daughter is very tall and thin. So I always have to have her try things on at the end of summer and make some adjustments for the Fall...She is the youngest in her class but the tallest girl It is always a hit or miss thing for her- they will fit at some point but skirts I hold out on because her legs are so long some skirts look too short on her...and sometimes the new size is just too big in the waste... makes it tricky...and I always like to get a couple of cute dresses...but forget about it... I went searching for a dress and it was either the frumpiest thing you could imagine or club hoochie wear. Oh, and the short sleeve issue is driving me nuts... I am not big on having seasonal clothes... not going to invest on a four season wardrobe... she can use her summer left overs if she is hot one morning... why bother buying a short sleaved shirt when in two months time it will be snowing here? Oh, frustration....
Shop the end of the year clearance sales in Land's End,Hannah Anderson,etc... you can get very cute things for girls 5&6 years old and not pay the full price! I have found a ton of things online also at Talbots kids, great ,classic ,cute girls clothes at cheap prices! $5 for polo shirts in all different colors, cute skirts/skorts. In WNY they are perfect for winter with colorful tights! I know... I am from there, but now live in MD!
I also use EBAY quite a bit now, you can find some great things new at a lot less...

Old 08-27-2008, 05:47 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,492,794 times
I do agree however about being able to find some decent things in those same stores... especially Kohl's. They have great kids clothes for the most part.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:52 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,869,300 times
To me, these are just too mature for a five year old... definitely not the look I am aiming for or acceptable for MY child.... no offense.... and short sleeved is not long sleeved... there is a big difference when it will hit 30 degrees in October.... and I do believe satin tops are too sexy for a five year old... They are fine for a teen ager... but not a young child. All of the tops are too old that you posted for MY child... they belong in the Juniors Dept... not the childrens department...

Last edited by skbs; 08-27-2008 at 06:12 PM..

Old 08-27-2008, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
Shop the end of the year clearance sales in Land's End,Hannah Anderson,etc... you can get very cute things for girls 5&6 years old and not pay the full price! I have found a ton of things online also at Talbots kids, great ,classic ,cute girls clothes at cheap prices! $5 for polo shirts in all different colors, cute skirts/skorts. In WNY they are perfect for winter with colorful tights! I know... I am from there, but now live in MD!
I also use EBAY quite a bit now, you can find some great things new at a lot less...
I wish we had a Talbots Kids here... we used to... it is a great store...

I did purchase a lot from Lands End at Sears and Kohl's... yes I agree... pretty decent... but I still think the ratio is off for most places and should be seriously adjusted.

Quote:
I know The Children's Place has long sleeves and some cute skorts, tights, and leggings too. Basically I shopped there,Target, and Kohl's.
I do like the Children's Place and I am always popping in there to look at the Clearance items... but so far the long sleeves are not available... and I am also finding a lot of that loud print there this year... that 60s polyester material... I am just NOT into that right now for a five year old... it seems to be inching its way into every store right now... if my checkbook could handle it I would buy everything at Gymboree....

Old 08-27-2008, 06:03 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,251,255 times
I wrote about the sleazy clothes a few months ago and I am happy to see another thread come out. Aren't they horrible?? I get so frustrated with the choices!! I wish you good luck in finding some cute clothes for GIRLS...not mini strippers!!

Old 08-27-2008, 06:18 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,349,962 times
Quote:
To me, these are just too mature for a five year old... definitely not the look I am aiming for.... and I do believe satin tops are too sexy for a five year old... They are fine for a teen ager... but not a young child.
I absolutely agree! I would not put one of those tops on my 3.5 year old, who is now in a size 4. I am always looking for older girls stuff because I have a niece who is in a size 8, and i do shop clearance for my daughter for sizes to come.

Macy's girls department has turned into trash city if you ask me. Except for the ralph lauren stuff, they have hoochie momma clothing.

When you see a gold shimmering bikini for a 4 year old, you know there is somehting wroooooong.

There are nice clothes to be found for little girls. I shop at Gymboree for my daughter and niece. (Although some of Gymboree's stuff is over the top, how many bows and crap can you have attached to one shirt), I DO find a ton of stuff there that is just right, cute patterns, cute styles, clothes that allow a girl to look like a girl (not a petite hooker). I also love LLbean, lands end and hanna andersson (although they will break the bank, shopping there). They are expensive, but using creativity you can buy a few key things to help with the rest of the crap. For example, Gymboree always has ribbed, velour tights of various colors in the fall, you can buy those and put them on your girls under their skirts and dresses (these tights are also pants I believe, but I put them under dresses and skirts to keep my daughter warm) I also keep 3 or 4 pairs of their bike shorts available and my daughter ALWAYS wears those under her dresses in the summer (as they do away with bloomers after about 3T) Kohls sonoma line is usually decent. Gap, I have mixed feelings about, some of it is fine, but some of it, while not to the hoochie level, is just grown up clothes in miniature. Kids dont need to look like small, preppy 30 year olds. Childrens place seems to be age appropriate, at least in my daughters age range.

I bought my daughter pants from old Navy, fleece lined jeans no less, that were low waisted. First, why would fleece lined jeans need to be low waisted? you put them on the kid so they can stay warm, do you need their lower back to be exposed to cold air? and second, why should ANY kids pants be low waisted? WHy why why why? So their asses can be hanging out when they bend over to play? Tons of kids pants are low waisted and I cannot make any sense of it. The pants are getting lower, the shirts are getting higher.

Sorry If anyone gets offended....... but that is the way it is, as far as I am concerned.

The way to end this phenomena is to get more and more schools to go to uniforms. Springfield, Ma just went to uniforms. I am waiting to see how it goes. My cousins kids are there, and their school had a voluntary school uniform policy. This year it went city wide, mandatory. I am wondering how the local shops did with the back to school shopping. I can only imagine they did not fare as well as last year, people all had to buy the uniforms. If enough cities and towns go to uniforms, and clothing companies feel the hit, they will respond with more appropriate clothing options.

PS they only have t shirts out now so that you will have to shop again in a couple of months!!! That is their goal you know, to get you to shop , shop, and then shop again.

PSS on the shoes---I don't know who is wearing them. At my sons school they won't even let you climb on the equipment at recess without SNEAKERS. He was wearing tevas and he couldn't go on. so how are girls wearing the heels anyway?

Old 08-27-2008, 06:24 PM

77 posts, read 353,880 times
Gap had an animal print string bikini for kids 5 and up!!! I'm not talking about a two-piece it really had the strings. Next to it was a glittery gold string bikini. What were they thinking?

Old 08-27-2008, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewego View Post
I saw some of those black mary janes by Carter's at Kohl's; have you tried there?
I actually purchased some Mary Janes at Stride Rite while they had their buy one get one sale...still paid an arm and a leg...but I was so sick of searching I gave in...went to four different stores... LOVE the new ballet slipper looking shoes but my kids have wide feet and they don't stay one in the back bacause they have smaller heels than the width of their toes... must be Mary Janes for my girls... gotta have the strap... I will check the Carter's at Kohl's for Easter Shoes though... thanks for the suggestion...they will most likely be cheaper than Stride Rite...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting