Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 05:10 PM

5 posts, read 17,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
To me, these are just too mature for a five year old... definitely not the look I am aiming for or acceptable for MY child.... no offense.... and short sleeved is not long sleeved... there is a big difference when it will hit 30 degrees in October.... and I do believe satin tops are too sexy for a five year old... They are fine for a teen ager... but not a young child. All of the tops are too old that you posted for MY child... they belong in the Juniors Dept... not the childrens department...
Okay, how old are you? These tops look fine for a five year old! Even five year olds should be allowed to look cool! Don't dress her in something like this, unless you actually WANT to embarass her!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 05:20 PM

515 posts, read 1,329,953 times
Eek...that's too much. That's a babyish dress!

Old 02-03-2009, 06:28 PM

5 posts, read 17,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry251 View Post
Lol, I don't think Hannah Montana dresses trashy at all. I don't see why her clothing choices would be a bad thing for kids to look up to.

Turn off the tv if you are oh-so-worried. No excuses.
I agree completely, cherry251! Hannah Montana is a kids show on Disney Channel! It doesn't matter if they talk about boys and stuff, because your child doesn't care about that stuff. If your kid likes boys at a young age, don't worry, because kid romances are oh-so-cute and usually never end up in making out, or anything else. They're just typical boyfriend-girlfriend, and probably don't act any different than before.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:05 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,272,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvhorses3 View Post
Whoa whoa whoa, everyone here needs to calm down. You guys act so...old. Don't you understand? Your kids just want to look cool! Let them dress how they want! The only exceptions should be shirts that show your belly button and skirts that are too short. Most of the other stuff is fine for them to wear! And school uniforms? LET YOUR CHILDREN EXPRESS THEMSELVES! Many girls show their personality through their clothes, so just leave them alone! If they want to buy clothes from places like Abercrombie kids, let them at least LOOK in the store! No wonder kids always call their parents "uncool".
Five and six year olds shouldn't be concerned about "cool." Sad state of affairs that society is pushing it on them.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:10 AM

377 posts, read 1,063,122 times
I have two young neices and since neither me nor their parents want them dressed like streetwalkers which is what little girls clothes look like today I shop in the boys clothes or in the athletic department quite often for them.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:22 AM

2,905 posts, read 7,347,484 times
This issue is close to me having a daughter that is about to be 4 and likes to be "fashion"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggluvbug View Post
i haven't gone through all the posts, but Gymboree is another good place to get clothes that look like kid clothes.
Gymboree is one place that has girls clothes that look like girls clothes.

I love 80% of their stuff. The other 20% is over the top for me.

I have never had a gymboree pair of pants that showed my daughters butt crack, and that is the least a pair of pants should NOT do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennquaker09 View Post
Gap is the best for kids clothes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggluvbug View Post
I also like The Children's Place. And if you can get to an outlet and find a 20% coupon, you can get their clothes super cheap. I bought my daughter 10 BTS outfits for less than $50!
Children's place is good too for kids clothes, but again some of their stuff is a little wacko for me.

Quote:
Okay, how old are you? These tops look fine for a five year old! Even five year olds should be allowed to look cool! Don't dress her in something like this, unless you actually WANT to embarass her!
Ok, that dress is hideous IMO. What brand is it? Yikes!

Old Navy is good too, I almost put it above Gap due to the fact that Gap quality is coming down, way down from what I have seen lately the quality is just not consistant, yet the prices remain high. I found some shirts there the other day that were the same quality as target, for five times the price, and I am not that into brands, even though most of my kids clothing are brand names, but I am not paying five times more to have a Gap tag on a shirt. I like brands that bring good dependable quality to an item.

Of course LLBean and Lands End offer girls clothing that is appropriate for girls.

A Hannah Montana shirt is not a big deal, what is the problem? My daughter doesn't have one, but that is again, mainly a quality price issue for me, high priced low quality merchandise. But if I found one on sale, I might buy it for her because I am sure she would love the sparkle, glitz, HM picture, etc...... "fashion" lol!

Old 02-04-2009, 11:05 AM

1,806 posts, read 5,704,418 times
I'm still wading through this thread - but I face the same challenge...while I like odd, offbeat clothing (baby black anything) I don't appreciate the sleazy midriff tops with crap glued everywhere or low-rise jeans on a toddler...ick. No problem with basic tanks or camisoles, but the straps are always so long that I have to modify the coverage.
Old Navy is hit or miss, but you can find l/s shirts there...great for plain T's, too. Daughter's stock has held up well, little pilling after many, many washes. Some do stretch out of shape...
Gap, Gymboree and TCP have LONG skirts for the kids...if you don't see it in the store, try off eBay. Prairie or jean/trouser style, can find knee-length or longer...

Old 02-04-2009, 11:07 AM

1,806 posts, read 5,704,418 times
Quote:
Actually, that would be cool if it was just a skirt; Etsy-***-Anthropologie BoHo...but as a dress...no. Too Lolita.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:44 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,624,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
Went back to school shopping this week. Fall in WNY is usually pretty chilly... cold enough to want my daughter wearing long sleeves in September... you would think I could find more items with sleeves for back to school. Very little seems to be available. What IS available for my five year old to wear to her first day of First Grade? Club Wear... stuff a 21 yo would get decked out in to go out to the bars on a Friday Night. It is either sparkling with bling, gold, or glitter... short enough that it would be in competition for street wear... covered in graffiti.... Why do stores buy these clothes to sell to little girls? My daughter has learned the term Hoochie... that is what I call those clothes... Hoochie Wear... she now can pick a Hoochie Outfit out without any assistance and knows there is no way in heck she will even be allowed to try it on... How do we get this to stop? What happend to the days when JUNIORS clothes were in the JUNIORS Department and CHILDRENS clothes with in the CHILDRENS Department? What has happend in our society to say it alright to dress a first grader in Tramp Wear? I don't get it.... I am frustrated and have no clue how to go about getting it to stop.
What do you consider "hootchie" anyway?

That would help in narrowing down clothes for your kiddo.

We personally do quite a bit of shopping in these places:

Children Store | Baby, Big Girls & Big Boys Clothes, Kids Shoes, Clothing & School Uniforms |The Children's Place

Shop clothes for women, men, maternity, baby, and kids at gap.com. | Gap

Women's & Men's Clothes: Plus Size, Maternity, Baby & Kid's Clothing | Old Navy

Children's Clothing - Kids Clothes - Boys & Girls Clothing : Macy's - Macy's

Not to mention TJ Maxx, Marshall's, and various rock band t shirts (think pink floyd, rolling stones, beatles, etc..); lol!

I always by off season on MAJOR clearance, and always a size bigger than she currently is for the upcoming year.

She we will be starting next school year shopping in a few weeks, when more of the spring stuff is in. And the same goes for summer for next year, shopping starts in Aug/Sept.

I get really nice clothes for cheaper than normal, and while it has been picked over a bit, I can still put together cute, age appropriate yet still trendy outfits, and everyone is happy.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:52 AM

1,820 posts, read 4,491,182 times
I may have posted on this subject before on this very thread.. didn't want to read through them all again though.
I agree,the things out there for 5,6 yr old girls are horrible! I saw a shirt the other day in the mall,size 5T that said "my boyfriend is sooooooooo cute!" what??? it had hearts and sparkles all over it, very appealing to a 5 year old!
Honestly?
I get my daughter's clothes from a lot of online stores,snapdragons.com,but you can find so many cute things through Lands End,LL Bean,etc... if you shop off season and get the clearance sales,it is great!
Gymboree is great also,Old Navy not so much and the Gap lately has also been hit or miss.
I tend to not like a lot of the chains because then I feel as though all the girls are wearing the same exact things...
I have it easy right now, my 6 yr old still likes those little cotton dresses and funky tights from Lands End and isn't bothered by wearing them (thank god!) and I am sure we will come to our battles over clothing at some point,but really ,Walmart,and some of the other stores sell clothing that is just ridiculous!
I agree with one post, cool? in 1st grade, I hope that a cute cotton dress with clogs and tights is cool... writing on a 6yr old's butt is not cool and the parents shouldn't allow their children to wear them...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting