Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 01:42 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,452,635 times

Advertisements

All careful cut outs around smoking bans look like half-a$$ caring, really.

How many feet away is considered "around kids"?

Are protected ages going to be from 0-19 years old? What if a 16 year old smokes "around" a 19 year old? As long as 16 year old smokes away from children, he/she can exersise her personal right?

How can you look in every household to enforce?

Looks like there is good lobby/money in the big tobacco still, after all these big lawsuits and tons of research. Absense of cigarettes on store shelves would reduce the problem dramatically overall. A small part of it would go underground, but the larger part of population would not be exposed, just like the larger part of population is not exposed to drugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 01:44 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
lots of laws with selective enforcement is not good. there seems to be a pattern doesn't there. everything becomes illegal and they decide who they will arrest.
totalitarian behavior.

Old 08-31-2008, 02:53 PM

702 posts, read 1,983,979 times
I dare someone to arrest me for smoking in my vehicle regardless of who is in it. I pay the payments not anyone else and no one else has a right to tell me what to do. Im done debating this topic..u all be the perfect parents drinking your red wine around your children and I will be the ignorant one because I smoke...we shall see who ends up in a grave first or behind bars

Old 08-31-2008, 03:10 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,868,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoutah View Post
I dare someone to arrest me for smoking in my vehicle regardless of who is in it. I pay the payments not anyone else and no one else has a right to tell me what to do. Im done debating this topic..u all be the perfect parents drinking your red wine around your children and I will be the ignorant one because I smoke...we shall see who ends up in a grave first or behind bars
Let me get this straight... I am confused... So... Because one pays for a vehicle, they are then given the right to do what they please with it? Well, does that mean one can speed? How about hit and run? Well, heck, let's go back to the topic of drinking for one second... does that mean because a driver pays the payments on their vehicle they can drive drunk? Wow... I never realized owning a vehicle provided a driver with so many RIGHTS... like the right to force a child to smoke a pack a day? Wow, that is some real power of ownership.

Old 08-31-2008, 03:51 PM

im glad u have all this time on your hands to debate me..i will live my life the way I see fit and nobody is going to tell me otherwise..last time I checked the vehicle is mine and the things u mentioned are ILLEGAL...but me smoking is not...I have lived almost 40 years on this planet and I am still here..no health issues and neither do my kids

Old 08-31-2008, 04:02 PM

Quote:
im glad u have all this time on your hands to debate me..i will live my life the way I see fit and nobody is going to tell me otherwise..last time I checked the vehicle is mine and the things u mentioned are ILLEGAL...but me smoking is not...I have lived almost 40 years on this planet and I am still here..no health issues and neither do my kids
Thanks... I am glad you have the time as well...

Back to the topic at hand... I think it says something when the legal age to purchase a pack of Cigs is 18-19years old... An adult age where one can actually RATIONALLY identify the dangers of smoking and make the CHOICE to actually do so? But a child can smoke away in a car at just 18 months old without ever having the choice to actually buy their own pack? without the choice to decide rationally if it is really worth risking their life? getting asthma? ending up with chronic bronchitis in their later 20s? I wonder why that is?

Old 08-31-2008, 04:19 PM

i told ya im done with someone that knows it all....why dont u run for government im sure the people out there that want smoking illegal while having kids in the car will vote for ya....see us smokers will always stick together....and just like all drinkers will debate issues about banning alcohol..off to din din with my kids and my marlboro lights

Old 08-31-2008, 04:33 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,142,752 times
Really............do we as parents need the government to tell us how to be responsible parents??

Old 08-31-2008, 04:40 PM

Quote:
i told ya im done with someone that knows it all....why dont u run for government im sure the people out there that want smoking illegal while having kids in the car will vote for ya....see us smokers will always stick together....and just like all drinkers will debate issues about banning alcohol..off to din din with my kids and my marlboro lights
I think you might want to relax a bit... I didn't say anything to you in regards to your views in my last post... I keep trying to get back to the topic at hand...but that vote of confidence in me to run for an office in government is quite kind... glad you see what a smart pick that would be...

Now, in regards to parents needing to be told how to be responsible parents... I think there are so many smokers who feel they aren't harming their child by smoking around them... in fact, they become enraged at the accusation that smoker are actually doing something harmful to their child... I think people need to be educated perhaps on the actual hazards of second hand smoke... but some people just don't care enough to do the research... perhaps they are afraid they will actually learn something and the guilt of it is stopping them... I don't know... but it is really sad that people continue to put their children in harms way without a single thought about it.

Last edited by skbs; 08-31-2008 at 05:03 PM..

Old 08-31-2008, 04:44 PM

50,276 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
That same logic works for wife beaters too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting