Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 10:49 AM

3,963 posts, read 10,629,002 times

Advertisements

My neighbor had an ironic punishment when her kids would strike each other. She'd spank them and say, "Don't hit!".

??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 11:50 PM

18 posts, read 34,831 times
One of mine let her girl throw a tantrum in a restaurant because it was just her, expressing herself. It was embarrassing.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:47 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,936,800 times
I know a woman (more an acquaintance than friend) who loves to say, "You have to pick your battles."

Apparently, she hasn't found one yet.

She complains to the school (and anyone who will listen) that her kids are falling behind in school because she can't afford private tutors (they had their IEPs taken away last year) and she believes they are learning disabled (the school told her to bring them proof and they would reinstate the IEPs - apparently, the doctors here in CO are in "cahoots" with the schools though).

Ummm... maybe take away the DSes (from the 5, 8 and 11 yos), send them to bed BEFORE 10pm and bring them home BEFORE 9pm at night on school nights... maybe then they'll be able to do their homework.

Kids do NOT need an "activity" every night of the week! They need to be home, doing homework, running around outside, eating dinner at a table (not in the car) at a reasonable hour and going to bed at LEAST 10 hours before they have to leave for school the next morning.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:56 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,478,817 times
When my daughters were little i caught them making fun of a deaf girl. i immediately made them take an after school American Sign Language class. My oldest girl and the deaf girl [Sharon] have been best friends ever since! even being each others maid of honor! Fearing that this 2x a week class might interfere with homework I told thier teachers what i was doing and they all agreed to let the girls be a little late turning things in. Creativity is great!

Old 09-04-2008, 09:15 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,508,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
I know a woman (more an acquaintance than friend) who loves to say, "You have to pick your battles."

Apparently, she hasn't found one yet.

She complains to the school (and anyone who will listen) that her kids are falling behind in school because she can't afford private tutors (they had their IEPs taken away last year) and she believes they are learning disabled (the school told her to bring them proof and they would reinstate the IEPs - apparently, the doctors here in CO are in "cahoots" with the schools though).

Ummm... maybe take away the DSes (from the 5, 8 and 11 yos), send them to bed BEFORE 10pm and bring them home BEFORE 9pm at night on school nights... maybe then they'll be able to do their homework.

Kids do NOT need an "activity" every night of the week! They need to be home, doing homework, running around outside, eating dinner at a table (not in the car) at a reasonable hour and going to bed at LEAST 10 hours before they have to leave for school the next morning.
Had a student one year.

Anyway, did not come to school the next day after Halloween.

Note from mom the day she returned : "XX was not in school yesterday b/c she was too tired from going trick or treating on Halloween."

OR

"Mrs. XX, for the past 2 weeks XX has not turned in his spelling words on Thurs."

Mrs. XX's reply: "Oh, that's b/c he has basketball practice & doesn't have time."

Old 09-04-2008, 11:28 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,244,003 times
I have a friend who actively speaks poorly of her childrens teachers, coaches and neighbors in front of the kids, but wonders why her kids have issues with being respectful of adults

Old 09-04-2008, 11:33 AM

2,240 posts, read 5,855,678 times
Default Check this out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Had a student one year.

Anyway, did not come to school the next day after Halloween.

Note from mom the day she returned : "XX was not in school yesterday b/c she was too tired from going trick or treating on Halloween."

OR

"Mrs. XX, for the past 2 weeks XX has not turned in his spelling words on Thurs."

Mrs. XX's reply: "Oh, that's b/c he has basketball practice & doesn't have time."
My sister, a 3rd grade teacher, had a note come in from a mother in roughly April one year (school year ends around Memorial Day). Something to this effect: "As you know, Susie's father and I are undergoing a difficult divorce, and it has been very hard on her. Therefore, she will not be turning in any more homework for the rest of the year, so please don't ask her to."

Umm, since when do parents get to choose whether their kids do homework or not and expect the teacher not to penalize them for it? Oy vey...

Old 09-04-2008, 11:48 AM

177 posts, read 814,968 times
Well, my aunt and uncle when their kids where little didn't allow their kids to celebrate birthdays because of some crazy religion they were embroiled in. Anyway, when my Mum and brother and I visited and my brother had his birthday they wouldn't allow him to celebrate either even though we weren't part of the religion in any way!!! My Mum was so mad - my brother got his pressie in secret however!!!

Old 09-04-2008, 01:55 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,530,753 times
I have an ex-friend that would take her children to McDonald's every single night for dinner then couldn't figure out why her child wouldn't eat at home.

She asked me....how did you get your child to eat vegetables? Simple, I fed it to him regularly and told him they were good.
He only got fast food MAYBE 2x a month.

BTW, her children ate whatever I put in front of them when I watched them.

She was such a pushover!

Old 09-04-2008, 04:35 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VBmom View Post
My former SIL never told her kids "no". She said it would ruin their creativity. Her two were WILD! I cannot tell you how many family functions were ruined by a trip to the emergency room!
I have to say, 19 and 23 years later, they are both very creative. And, amazingly, alive.
OMG my sister does that!! It drives me insane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting