Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 05:50 AM

702 posts, read 1,984,079 times

Advertisements

There are plenty of children (especially preteen and teenagers) that if u whoop them they are taught in school and other places, call 911 thats abuse. Its a complete joke. I dont care how big my kids get, they will get spanked bottom line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 08:02 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,227 times
Oh yay, another spanking thread... [/sarcasm]

No, we don't spank in our family and I don't think it is necessary.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:43 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,485,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
Abusing children is never acceptable. Hitting just teaches them violence is ok, and causes psychological scars. This is evidenced by the posts of people who believe in abusing children who were probably abused themselves.

The correct thing to do is to take away privileges.
Children are not identical. What works for your children will not always work on another. Yes there are options to spanking. But spanking, not beating, is, and should be, a viable option. Sure worked on me!

Old 09-04-2008, 09:23 AM

702 posts, read 1,984,079 times
Exactly..abusing is completely different than a swat on the tale

Old 09-04-2008, 11:09 AM

115 posts, read 541,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
Abusing children is never acceptable. Hitting just teaches them violence is ok, and causes psychological scars. This is evidenced by the posts of people who believe in abusing children who were probably abused themselves.

The correct thing to do is to take away privileges.
Ok all you cosby show and leave it to beaver families. The question was about spankings not beatings. A question to those who disagree. If your child not babies 8 and up disrespect, rebell or disobey you in any form repeativly, what would you do? Put them out? (ok government call it neglect and take them away and they won't be treated the same) Cry and ask yourself what have you done wrong? (ok, stress on you as parents), Put them in a basement or their room until they learn manners ( ok thats a form of abuse to the government), send them to military school or bootcamp ( ok,they'll get beat in there then you'll want to sue), spend hundreds of dollars on a Dr. that only will tell you something you already knew?( ok,now you're broke struggling to make ends meet and if you can't government call it neglect). Remember the two boys who killed their parents, wonder what did they not do for them? Even the boy who killed his mother who was a police officer and sisters in Georgia. It's true google it?

Old 09-04-2008, 04:47 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,916,078 times
The thing is, in most states spanking is not illegal. Even if it is, most officials have the intellegence to tell the difference between a sane use of punishment and abuse, and are selective.

Really, to me it seems like you just want to stir up the pot. IMO, there is no government intersession into parenting. Like I said before, I have never had a problem with the government and no one I know of has ever had a problem with the government.

Old 09-04-2008, 04:51 PM

27 posts, read 75,623 times
some of the rules in place are extreme in the end though they are there to protect the children even if it goes overboard i like to think its helped more than it has hurt in the end

Old 09-04-2008, 05:33 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,349,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
The thing is, in most states spanking is not illegal. Even if it is, most officials have the intellegence to tell the difference between a sane use of punishment and abuse, and are selective.

Really, to me it seems like you just want to stir up the pot. IMO, there is no government intersession into parenting. Like I said before, I have never had a problem with the government and no one I know of has ever had a problem with the government.
Did you happen to see the other thread about the charges being dropped against the parents that spanked their kid at a parade?

And spanking is legal in their state.

There is def. government intersession into parenting. It is called DSS. While they are "investigating" good people they are not doing enough or are powerless to take care of the poor children who really are getting abused. How many times have we seen it on the news that a child is dead, after 4 visits from DSS? And look where they put your kid if they take him away? Do you know who some foster parents are? I am sorry, this comes up because a cousin of mine, who is a for-lifer on welfare, with her "schizophrenic" husband who collects SS, decided that since my cousin was no longer doing under the table babysitting they needed some legit income, were going to become foster parents. Not an IQ of 100 between them and neither one could probably find USA on a map (my cousin can't, that I know for sure, I asked her and she couldn't do it, even my 7 year old can). So yes, when people like this become foster parents, it makes me sure that if DSS ever becomes involved with my family I will sue their pants off. And THAT would be called gov't interference. At LEAST find suitable foster parents.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:44 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,916,078 times
Having a crappy foster parent system and government interference into the average person's house are two different things.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:45 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,537,395 times
The saddest thing is...there are some parents out there that are SO bad at it that the government had to step in.

If you look at the origins of most of the child protection laws you'll see they came from idiots not feeding little Susy or little Johnny. They also thought it was ok to beat them senseless or not clothe them or give them shelter.

Heaven forbid the would expect their children to get an education.

Now that these laws are put in place, they have been taken over by zealots who think they were put on this earth to police the actions of others.

You'll also find that the government NEVER steps in unless they are notified of "abuses"

So before you blame the government, do your homework and if you see something that needs to change, take the proper steps to change it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting