Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 09:05 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,913,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
....Dr. Laura was ALL over it. Funny how all the "Right Wing Fundamentalist" who have always been a "womans place is in the home" are now thinking how grand Sarah is... Well, except for Dr. Laura. LOL
On the political forum, there is a link to part of the Daily Show in which he shows clips of republican pundits before Palin in regards to Clinton, and then afterward in regards to Palin. It's hillarious! It is a total flip-flop of opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 10:17 AM

1,016 posts, read 4,541,283 times
I know everyone is saying Sarah Palin should not be VP because she has a disabled child to care for, but I personally think it is wonderful that the parent of a disabled child has the potential to be in such a high position of power. As the sister of a severly disabled brother, I know how horrible the system is for the disabled, and the severe lack of funding and services available to them. (My state of Illinois is particularly horrible.) I know services for the disabled are handled at the state level, but I really hope that possibly having a VP that is in the situation and knows what it is like will call attention to the problem and hopefully lead to some positive change for the disabled.

Old 09-07-2008, 11:38 AM

1,820 posts, read 4,491,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 925mine View Post
Funny. John McCain is still a child to his mother. Doesn't stop him from running for president. Obama is still a child to HIS parent, doesn't stop HIM from running for president.

Just because we are all still children of our parents, doesn't stop us from being responsible adults and taking care of business.
Agreed and I wasn't trying to say that she should or shouldn't be running, I was just responding to the above post...

Old 09-07-2008, 12:30 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,509,367 times
Quote:
121804, You seem very bitter. I'm sure Palin didn't become a mom with the intent of showing the country how 'super' she is by being a politician as well. I'm sure that 20 years ago, she didn't predict being approached to be a running mate to represent the country as Vice President.

Perhaps your children are perfect and you see hers as not. Perhaps you're doing your best and so is she. Perhaps we, as women become mothers for as many reasons as there are people.

Look at John and Caroline Kennedy. They weren't 'THRUST' into the public eye? How much criticism did Jackie receive for supporting her husband in the presidency and still have small children??? Amy Carter was a very little girl when her father became president. Where was the criticism???

My bet is that Sarah Palin was almost as surprised to be running with McCain, as we are to see her there. Being excessively scrutinized is not a choice she has made. Serving the country is.

Obama is running for a higher office than Sarah Palin and he has two very young children being 'thrust' into the public eye. Why isn't HE being condemned? Oh, he's a man. Only women aren't supposed to move upward. When we CHOOSE to be mothers, we are supposed to keep our places and stay in the shadows.

COME ON.
This is a parenting forum.

Have you read the OP's question: Is Sarah Palin a super mom?

The only thing you seem to be able to go on about is man v. woman debate. You are making it an issue.

To me, it's not. I'm responding about Palin, not Obama nor McCain. If the question was "Is Obama a super dad?", then I'd respond about Obama.

Please read my responses. I have CLEARLY stated that this was not about her being a SAHM v working mom.

Is not "Is there a double standard"? thread.

Read the OP's question.

My opinion on her decisions on how she is PUBLICY parenting is just my opinion.

She may be a great VP (which I have written more than once if you would read & not pick & choose what you want to read) but she is deciding to put profession before family.

And yes, she has made the CONSCIOUS CHOICE of thrusting her family into the public eye during ELECTION season. She's in PUBLIC office, not PRIVATE office.

As a politican, she has some very good points & some questionable points.
As a parent, she has children who need some very specific parental guidance & love right now.

The first 2 weeks of a baby's life are the some of the most crucial. She was back to work, BY CHOICE, after 3 days. What was more important than holding your newborn child & nurturing him that within 72 hours you need to be back at the office? A mother's touch & voice is almost as important as food the first several days. Alaska was not in a state of emergency or nor was there some civil war breaking out in Alaska when she delivered her son. To take what he needs; her touch, her voice; away from him so she could go back to work b/c as she said,she felt she had an obligation to her state, I just don't care for....

DOes that mean I won't vote McCain/Palin...not sure yet...I need to listen to what both parties are going to do to implement CHANGE.

I am very interested in what Palin is going to do POLTICIALLY, but this is the PARENT forum & not for politically debating.

But, since you seem insistent on making it man v woman, maybe I'll only vote for Obama b/c it's two men....

As for what the OP ASKED: Nope, Palin is no more special than any other MOTHER.

Old 09-07-2008, 12:39 PM

697 posts, read 2,014,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okpondlady View Post
Since she is married to an Alaskan Native she has claimed to be specially interested in "Native Issues" and of course she is toting poor Trig around like a purse showing him off so she can get a shoe in with families with disabled children...
............... Who is going to watch them while he is off on the oil field? Will he be going back to work? Apparently Mom was at work and so was he when Bristol was getting busy with her little trashy boyfriend. Someone has to mind the children. That is a basic fact. I don't know how she can push her Abstinence only BS and Pro-Life only BS when SHE hasn't been real successful at it. Well I guess she has at the Pro-Life one..but I would think she should have taught her daughter how to NOT get pregnant along with Abstinence. Supervision is a wonderful thing but I also know if and when young people are determined..it is going to happen. I don't know what her answer is, I don't have one. ............
Wow, I'm glad I'm not YOUR friend. Do you judge EVERYBODY this way??

First, "toting poor Trig around like a purse" What's THAT supposed to mean?? What about Obama "toting" his children around like trophies?? I saw them up there on the stage. I see how they are put up there to look cute.

Second, What's it to you who watches their children??? WHO IS G0ING TO WATCH OBAMA'S CHILDREN, in the event HE is elected ??? I'm sure his wife will be furthering causes of her own and not be home every moment.

Third, Who gave you the right to judge Palin's daughter's boyfriend ("..little trashy boyfriend", as you put it) ?? You think the public at large should determine whether a person is adequate as a mate for, say Cheney's daughter? Did we, as the public, choose who Bush's daughter married? THAT IS NONE OF OUR BUSINESS.

Old 09-07-2008, 12:45 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,509,367 times
Quote:
THAT IS NONE OF OUR BUSINESS.
Definition of PUBLIC office:
"a facility under the direction and control of a governmental entity which is open to public access on a regular basis "

And please stop playing nasty to posters. Everyone else has been polite. You are trying to pick fights. You keep taking away from the original intent of the post which has had some great responses on both sides.

Sorry, public office is open to everything. Don't like it, then don't be in it.

Again, back to the OP's question..is Palin a supermom?

Old 09-07-2008, 12:58 PM

Excuse me, but who a vice presidential nominee's daughter chooses to be her boyfriend is NONE OF OUR BUSINESS

Old 09-07-2008, 01:14 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,866,231 times
I'm sorry, is this the parenting forum or the Politics and CONTROVERSIES....

Can everyone please take a deep breath and relax? It is getting a tad hostile in here... Can we make nice and stop the name calling? Honestly... this is why I stay out of the Politics Forum...

Old 09-07-2008, 01:57 PM

There are no 'supermoms'. There are moms who take care of their children as best they can, teach them morals and responsibility, and there are moms who don't care how their children grow up. Any woman who thinks she's a 'supermom' is delusional. My daughter continues to think I'm a 'supermom' (I know, but it's true). I'm not, of course, but I just tell her I'm doing my job the best I can.

Some may look at a woman and think, wow, her kids are so involved in everything, are always clean and so popular, but in reality the kids are overextended, unhappy and pushed into what they do. Is that a 'supermom'?

Some may look at a woman and think, wow, her kids are SO very perfect. Is THAT a 'supermom'?

Some may look at a woman and think, wow, her kids don't have much, and they're always struggling with one thing or another. Is that a 'supermom'?

My guess is that the third could very well be closer to what really would be a 'supermom' than the other two.

A good mother is one who loves her children, gives them the very best of her maternal side, and teaches them to be the best they can be; by example and expectation.

It isn't up to us to judge a woman's merits of mothering. None of us are perfect. None of us are without mistake. None of our children grow up perfect and without mistake (even though some mothers THINK their children grow up perfect).

As wonderful as I think my child is, there will always be people who won't like her for reasons of their own. As wonderful as some other women think their children are, I am positive there are people who won't like them for reasons of their own.

So, no, Sarah Palin is not a 'supermom'. But neither is anyone else. We're all just doing our best to raise our children and hope when they get to be making decisions on their own, they make sound ones. NO ONE gets through life without making mistakes along the way, or displaying some bad judgement from time to time.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:07 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,948,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
I did want to say in regards to his age and everyone having him dead before he can complete his term, that his Mother looked pretty good for 96 so at least that side of his genes has longevity. Senator Obama could have health problems that we don't know about also.
Yep, but his DAD is long dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting