Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 12:57 PM

909 posts, read 3,362,656 times

Advertisements

I got an Ameda Purely Yours. It's a double electric. It works great!

Just saw your post about renting. You can check the local hospitals. Mine had an auxilary health shop that rented hospital grade pumps. They are even better than the consumer grade double electrics. It's pricey to rent though. Also medical supply stores sometimes rent, but again it can cost. Just wanted to throw it out there that when you price breast pumps you'll find that the Medela Pump in Style is Much more expensive than the Ameda Purely Yours. Some say it's because Medela makes only breastfeeding products, whereas Ameda is general medical supply and breast pumps are only part of it's inventory. I've had friends that have used both, and they both seem to work equally well.

Also I got mine used off Craigslist. It had barely been used. I purchased my own pump kit (tubing valves and bottles).That way I didn't risk any contamination. I used it for 12 months with my baby and it worked really well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 01:19 PM

42 posts, read 117,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
You arll have been a tremendous help!! We appreciate it.

I don't know anything about renting breast pumps--interesting concept. KNow how to find out about that?
Go to www.LLLI.org and look for a local leader. They usually will know where you can rent a pump.

There are no risk of contamination, the parts where the milk goes tru are either boiled or replaced (not absolutely sure, but I know they are very careful w/that).
But if your DIL will use it on a regular basis it might be worth it to buy it in the long run.

LLL is a great ressource if she is not familiar w/them it is good for her to get in touch w/them. She can attend meetings,rent books, meet other breastfeeding moms. Great support.

Steph

Old 09-07-2008, 04:19 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,923,274 times
If you rent a pump, you will buy your own attachment kit to go with it. It will be a closed system, meaning that milk cannot get inside the pump apparatus, so it can be used by different users. A regular Medela Pump In Style is not a closed system, so they don't recommend buying them used, even if you buy your own attachments, though lots of people certainly buy them used. The Ameda Purely Yours is a closed system, so is supposed to be safer to buy used, though "they" still don't recommend it for some reason.

I agree that she should certainly check out LLL meetings for advice from other moms. If she has an evening group in her area, there will likely be other working/pumping moms with lots of advice. My town has 3 monthly meetings, and I go to the evening meeting - lots of working moms there! You might be surprised that people have just as many questions and issues about pumping as they do about breastfeeding! It's definitely nice to have a group of women who know what you are going through!

Old 09-07-2008, 08:26 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,550,094 times
Check her insurance! My insurance coverd a hospital grade pump...rental of course...But it was an incrediable pump!!

With my 2nd child we bought an Ameda Purely Yours. It is an electric double pump and it is wonderful.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:40 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,159,728 times
good idea! thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
Check her insurance! My insurance coverd a hospital grade pump...rental of course...But it was an incrediable pump!!

With my 2nd child we bought an Ameda Purely Yours. It is an electric double pump and it is wonderful.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:52 PM

955 posts, read 3,647,647 times
definatly a Medela pump in style - Im actually pumping right now at my desk at work

Old 09-08-2008, 03:21 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,981,722 times
I don't know if things have changed but the idea of renting a used breast pump is just gross. I know the parts can be taken out and santized but when I was looking at pumps (seven years ago mind you), Medela said their pumps are NOT to be reused. They said there is one part inside that cannot be removed or santized and their was a risk of passing on certain illnesses if the pump was contaminated. I would call Medela or visit their website to see if this still holds true. Back then, e-bay had several used pumps up for auction and they were removed when the info was pointed out to them. I am sure you can still get them used on e-bay. Again, this was 7 years ago, so maybe this doesn't hold true anymore...but an informed consumer is the best consumer...especially when babies are concerned.

Old 09-08-2008, 03:24 PM

PS: Here is a link. If it gets filtered, please DM me if you're interested and I'll send it to you.

Breast-Pumps.com: Medela Breastpumps and Breastfeeding Supplies, including the Medela Pump In Style

Old 09-09-2008, 07:36 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,923,274 times
Quote:
I know the parts can be taken out and santized but when I was looking at pumps (seven years ago mind you), Medela said their pumps are NOT to be reused.
The Medela single use pumps (such as the pump in style) are the ones you are talking about which are not intended to be used by multiple users. The hospital grade pumps that get rented, are not the same. They are specifically designed to be multi-user pumps where each user brings her own attachment kit.

If you look at this chart on Medela's page, you can see the different categories for "Hosptital and Rental" vs. "Personal Use" pumps.
Medela - Breastpump Overview

While it is true that the Medela Pump In Style is an open system pump and not recommended for multiple users, it is also true that MANY women do buy them used and just supply new attachment kits because they feel that the level of risk is very small. It is certainly something you would want to go into with your eyes open. But if you are renting a pump it would be a hosptial-grade pump, so this would not be a concern.

I hope this clears up the confusion.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:17 AM

Avent strongly recommends that breast pumps are not reused:

"Some of the viruses that can be within breast milk are:

HIV - Human Immunodeficiency Virus (AIDS)
HTLV-1 Human T-Cell Leukemia Virus Type I
CMV - Cytomegalovirus"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting