Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 03:19 PM

121 posts, read 448,456 times

Advertisements

You can spank you children and a lot of people should because these kids are out of control. I use to work for CPS and by law you can spank your children as long as you do not leave marks or bruises.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 03:20 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,855,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
Seatbelts at one time were optional equipment....meaning the car companies thought it was a good idea but there were no laws.

I don't recall when it became the law that cars have seatbelts....and when it became a law that you actually had to wear them.

I grew up in the '80's. At the beginning of the decade it was pretty much 50/50 on whether or not you wore them (regardless of what the law said). Toward the end of the decade wearing them was a little more prevalent.
We never wore them growing up. I'm sure some of the cars my parents had for awhile didn't have them. The only "seat belt" we had was our parents arms that flew across to hold us back. We were also in a few minor fender benders and no one was ever hurt. I think the person saying that we had bad parents because we didn't wear seatbelts must be under 30.

I was driving and had my first car and in college BEFORE it became a law that it was required to be wearing them for FRONT SEAT PASSANGERS ONLY! It actually came about that the states would lose funding for roads if they didn't pass a seatbelt law. Here in Texas it would have gone into effect on Sept 1st and I want to say it was in about 1984 when it did. I got stopped in the grandfather period and didn't get speeding ticket because I was wearing it. I remember it being hard to adjust to it as we had never had to wear them. I don't even remember having to wear one in drivers ed and I took it thru the high school. So the person throwing around the bad parent thing probably was not even born during that time.

Old 01-06-2010, 03:24 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,855,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
I'm only just starting this thread, but not wearing a seatbelt has already come up 3 or 4 times. Just want to say, that is NOT something that was OK 30 years ago. That was never OK. That was just bad parenting. I was never ever in a million years allowed to ride in a car w/o a seatbelt as a child. Never. And that was a long time ago.

FYI, 30 years ago would have been 1980. It did NOT become a law that one had to wear a seatbelt in ANY state in the United States for a few more years. It was actually in 1984 when it became a law in the state of Texas that ONLY front seat passangers had to wear one.

So it WAS OKAY to ride in a car or drive a car and NOT wear a seatbelt 30 years ago.

Old 01-06-2010, 03:25 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,913,927 times
Things were so much simpler back then. I have very fond memories of basically just exploring the neighborhood with all the neighborhood kids. Our parents told us to come back when the sun started setting. Now days, it's not too often you see kids running around the neighborhood, riding bikes up and down the street etc.. in fact, this fall my neighbor phoned me and told me I should really think about watching my son closer as he was "riding his bike on the side of the road by himself."
Yes, on the SIDE of the road..apparently it's not acceptable for an eight year old to be riding his bike on the side of the road by himself anymore.

I also remember getting spanked in public. Today, many parents worry about spanking their kids in public (or even just discipling them) because they know CPS might be knocking on their door. I also remember getting my mouth washed out with soap if I dared to talk back to my parents. Another punishment I had was being locked in my room from the time I came home from school until the next morning..and I even missed dinner with that punishment. IMAGINE THAT!

Old 01-07-2010, 12:23 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,263,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
We never wore them growing up. I'm sure some of the cars my parents had for awhile didn't have them. The only "seat belt" we had was our parents arms that flew across to hold us back. We were also in a few minor fender benders and no one was ever hurt. I think the person saying that we had bad parents because we didn't wear seatbelts must be under 30.

I was driving and had my first car and in college BEFORE it became a law that it was required to be wearing them for FRONT SEAT PASSANGERS ONLY! It actually came about that the states would lose funding for roads if they didn't pass a seatbelt law. Here in Texas it would have gone into effect on Sept 1st and I want to say it was in about 1984 when it did. I got stopped in the grandfather period and didn't get speeding ticket because I was wearing it. I remember it being hard to adjust to it as we had never had to wear them. I don't even remember having to wear one in drivers ed and I took it thru the high school. So the person throwing around the bad parent thing probably was not even born during that time.
Funny storry. I guess this was shortly after the seatbelt laws started coming into affect. My parents and I took a road trip from SE Missouri to Memphis, TN. We took my uncle's truck (can't remember why) which was an early '80's Silverado pickup. I was about 6-7 years old and sat in the middle wearing the lap belt. By today's standards CPS should have been brought in on those grounds alone. LOL

But when we got to the destination I could not get my seatbelt unbuckled and neither could my parents. The button was stuck and couldn't be pressed in to get it undone. We sat out in the driveway working on it for a long time. I finally got the bright idea to loosen the strap enough that I could slip out of it. Before that my dad was getting ready to pull out a knife and start cutting the belt. After working on it for a while we finally got it to release....with a hammer and a steel punch! The trip back I did not wear the seat belt....

Old 01-07-2010, 01:33 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,899,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I do think it is neglectful to only provide one set of clothes for a child to wear and to not wash it until after 5 wearings.

If a child has a white shirt/khaki pants uniform, the child should have more than one white shirt and one pair of khaki pants.

If the childen went to school that didnt' require uniforms, I sure hope the child wouldnt' be wearing the same pants and shirt all week.

If you can't afford more clothes, you should be washing them in your bathtub if you dont' have a washing machine.
I think what she is saying is that the shirts get stained because she cannot wash them the same day, not that the kid wears the same shirt every day.

what she could do is get the stain stick/spray you can leave on the clothing for a week (there are some stain formulas you need to wash right away and others that can sit on the clothing) or do a presoak in a sink or bucket and hang the shirt somewhere to dry until wash day.

We are moving to a place where my oldest can wear khaki, white, navy or gray shirts. Guess what color the majority of his school shirts will be? I doubt I will purchase any white ones at all.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:38 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,997,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
I think what she is saying is that the shirts get stained because she cannot wash them the same day, not that the kid wears the same shirt every day.
You're right. I reread the post and she does use the plural 'shirts.' Thanks for pointing that out! I misread it and thought she was nuts! LOL

Quote:
what she could do is get the stain stick/spray you can leave on the clothing for a week (there are some stain formulas you need to wash right away and others that can sit on the clothing) or do a presoak in a sink or bucket and hang the shirt somewhere to dry until wash day.
That's an excellent suggestion for someone who needs to use the laundromat.

Quote:
We are moving to a place where my oldest can wear khaki, white, navy or gray shirts. Guess what color the majority of his school shirts will be? I doubt I will purchase any white ones at all.
When mine went to private school, the shirt colors were red, navy and white. I had some of each. The navy ones get grease stains, but overall they do look the best the longest.

Old 01-07-2010, 04:18 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,041,265 times
I think the topic of this thread is very interesting - reps to the OP. But now that I've read through it, it's made me wonder if I should be worried. I often go months without taking my boys out to get haircuts, and they wear old comfy clothes to school because we don't want their nice ones to get messed up. Is that neglect?

In response to the OP's question, though... I remember piling up in the back bed of the pickup truck with all the neighborhood kids to go to 7-11 to get slurpees. I don't think that's legal anymore. The slurpees part is (which are probably more deadly in the long run) but the piling up in the back bed of a truck probably isn't.

Old 01-07-2010, 04:29 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,997,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
In response to the OP's question, though... I remember piling up in the back bed of the pickup truck with all the neighborhood kids to go to 7-11 to get slurpees. I don't think that's legal anymore. The slurpees part is (which are probably more deadly in the long run) but the piling up in the back bed of a truck probably isn't.
I was surprised to learn recently that it IS legal to have riders in the back of pickup trucks in my state.

Anyone over 18 can ride in the back of a pickup truck if it doesn't go over 35 miles per hour.

Minors can't ride in the back of pickup trucks, but there are exceptions for farming, hunting and parades that are permitted on open roads.

It's rather surprising how many states still allow ANYONE of ANY AGE to ride in the back of a pickup truck.

Check it out: Powered by Google Docs

Old 01-07-2010, 04:35 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,040,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
how about leaving me at the age of 4 with my new baby brother while my father went to buy milk down the street?
or leaving us in the car while they went into the store "for a minute"?
or getting all the kids in the "trunk" of the station wagon on a long trip?

we didnt have car seats. in fact my mother used to hold us in the front with her (she was in the passenger seat) while she was NOT wearing her seatbelt --at least until we were old enough to sit in the back seat on our own, also not wearing a seatbelt and not in a car seat.

you are kidding right??? A 4 year old babysitting a newborn? Putting kids in a trunk of a station wagon on a long trip???

I grew up when seat belts were considered extras in a new car but my dad paid extra and expected the kids to be in them.

Not everything done years ago was safe or good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting