Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 02:11 PM

8,307 posts, read 38,688,914 times

Advertisements

Lacrosse is definitely not a waste of time. As previous posters have mentioned, it IS a rough game but I can't imagine much that will do a better job of draining a 7 yr. old's energy. Lots of running around like crazy, hitting eachother with sticks and knocking eachother down. That said, 7 year olds can't really hurt eachother when suited up in pads. If he gets into lacrosse and takes to it, he'll practice year round throwing the ball against the garage door or the wall of the house. Be ready for that.

The game is completely consuming and really gets under a player's skin. There are club teams in every city with 40 year old men playing. Once you get bitten you never quit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 02:39 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,894,970 times
I thought I would put in that our 5 y.o. was in hockey--another very agressive sport. However, like the posters with experience with lacrosse, it wasn't agressive at all during that age. If you are worried about him staying with it until he gets to the age where it does--well, who says he won't get into another dangerous sport? (hockey, football, skateboarding, wrestling...) While I agree you should be concerned if the league is overly agressive at this young age, you also can't totally avoid agressive sports in the future.

Old 09-10-2008, 02:43 PM

8,307 posts, read 38,688,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
I thought I would put in that our 5 y.o. was in hockey--another very agressive sport. However, like the posters with experience with lacrosse, it wasn't agressive at all during that age. If you are worried about him staying with it until he gets to the age where it does--well, who says he won't get into another dangerous sport? (hockey, football, skateboarding, wrestling...) While I agree you should be concerned if the league is overly agressive at this young age, you also can't totally avoid agressive sports in the future.
My mother and sister swear that I was much more pleasant to be around during football and lacrosse seasons. There's an outlet for any frustration. Nothing brings a smile to a cloudy-headed boy's face like knocking heads (only in the appropriate forum, of course).

Old 09-10-2008, 09:19 PM

151 posts, read 692,337 times
Thanks all! Im gonna let him try it & see how it goes. didnt know you can get scholarships playing it. my hubby will love hearing that lol

Old 01-30-2011, 09:10 PM

1 posts, read 884 times
My son is 7 and plays lacrosse 8 months out of the year, he plays indoor in the winter and then outdoor spring and summer. He has been playing since Pre-K, He loves it I am sure your little guy will too. The only break he take is for football...but even if you put your guy in flag football you would still need a spring sport. Stick with lax it is a better choice than anything else.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:58 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,058,982 times
thanks for the info, all. I have a 7 yo too, and have been considering lacrosse. I think we will start with a week-long summer camp this year to try it out.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:01 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,852,211 times
Other options would be tennis, gymnastics or hockey.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:03 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,828,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renee_cal View Post
Im looking to put my son in sports. hes done soccer but he really wants to do basketball. I cant find any basketball around me for him. so I found out about lacrosse and wondered if anyone has their kid in this? my hubby thinks that sport is a waste of time. I also thought about flag football. My kid is skinny so im worried about the flag football thing. I just need to keep him busy till I can get him into the basketball in January. thanks.
My kids have all played lacrosse. They started at around age 5. IMO lacrosse is one of the best sports around for kids. It's fast and fun. If you go see the older kids play you will see them checking each other like hockey players do but most of the time that kind of hitting starts at around 10/11 years old. The younger kids have much less contact, however there is more contact in lacrosse than flag football.

Lacrosse is an expensive sport for beginners because you have to buy all the equipment so I would think twice about having him do it just to kill time. However, if he has expressed an interest you might want to try it.

Around here lacrosse season runs from January to May. My kids play tackle football and lacrosse and I love lacrosse. It's a little confusing at first if you don't know the rules but its fun and the kids get lots of exercise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting