Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 06:21 PM

650 posts, read 2,180,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
Do you have children? You mentioned that you worked for years. I suppose you never got off work tired and grouchy?? I doubt you worked just because you were bored with soap operas at home?? I dont know where you have been, be it coma or living in a hole, but the situation you described IS the new American lifestyle. Most of us dont work to earn speedboats and toys--we work for insurance and because everything is getting so expensive. Hate to break it to ya but "Leave It To Beaver"s mommy isn't staying at home, vaccuming in high heels anymore--she's waitressing at Dennys!
Well, some people do think that living in Maine IS like living in a hole, but since I think you were being sarcastic I will just chuckle.

Yes, things are expensive, I get that. I KNOW how expensive things are and how hard it is to feed a family of 6 on one police officer's income. I also know that we sacrifice A LOT because we feel it is best for our kids to have one parent at home.

We do not have cable or go out to dinner/movies, etc. very often. That cuts down on a lot of unnecessary extra spending right there. If we are going to be gone all day, I pack a lunch.

We have a large house with a decent size mortgage. We bought 8 years ago at a low and refinanced to put on a large addition. When we need repairs to anything in the house, hubby does them himself.

I am careful when we grocery shop. I go to more than one store if need be. I can feed everyone on about $400 dollars a month, not counting supplies like shampoo and paper towels and such. I budget carefully so that we can make it work.

We have one car payment for my van and hubby drives an older model, albeit junkier, van. It is not the prettiest, but it is safe, can fit us all, and runs just fine.

We homeschool so we have to buy our own curriculum. (about $200 every year) We also pay for dance lessons, Tae kwon do, piano, violin and swimming classes every week/month.

We have one credit card that has a balance. We are slowing trying to pay it off. We try to save as much as we can and we donate money to our church every week.

We qualify for WIC but we don't get it. I feel like there are many others out there that need it more than we do.

I'm sorry that we disagree, however, I do not understand it when people say that they NEED 2 incomes. That just says to me that material things are more important. My first post stated that it is all about sacrifice of material things to do what you think is best for your children. In my opinion, if we can do it, so can most of the rest of the population. While it MAY BE the new American lifestyle, I don;t think that it needs to be or should be. Most American's priorities are not on family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
I have not met anybody who drops there kids off at daycare. But for you folks that watched those kids, Im sure you took the money anyway. Where where your ethics then.
I am not sure I understand what you mean by the first line...

Yes, I got paid for my services. It was my job to provide care for the children whose parents were at work. I enjoy being around children and liked my job. I just think that the children's parents are the ones who should spend the day reading to them, comforting them, having lunch with them, playing with them, etc. I also feel like there is a difference between "have to work" and "choose to work". I think most parents whose children are in daycare are "choosing" to work. I don't blame the children for that, it is not their fault, if that is what you mean by ethics?

Old 09-24-2008, 08:11 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,266,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girlsand2boys View Post
I am not sure I understand what you mean by the first line...

Yes, I got paid for my services. It was my job to provide care for the children whose parents were at work. I enjoy being around children and liked my job. I just think that the children's parents are the ones who should spend the day reading to them, comforting them, having lunch with them, playing with them, etc. I also feel like there is a difference between "have to work" and "choose to work". I think most parents whose children are in daycare are "choosing" to work. I don't blame the children for that, it is not their fault, if that is what you mean by ethics?
who doesnt feel this way, I don't know any parents who dont cry when they have to drop there kids off to someone else. We all would do this if finance would permit.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:05 AM

697 posts, read 2,016,137 times
I've avoided this thread, but just thought of something.

I worked a VERY short time in a YMCA daycare. I was in the room with about 15 or so 3 and 4 year olds. There was a couple kids with a LOT of energy and had a hard time following the rules.

During nap time, I witnessed the head teacher literally lay across one of these high energy kids to get her to lay still and go to sleep.

During play time, I witnessed the head teacher grab ahold of one of these high energy kids and pull him to the floor off a climbing structure in the room.

One morning shortly after the children finished arriving, I witnessed the head teacher grab one of these high energy kids, and throw him into a chair, injuring his eye.

I reported these actions to the director. I was fired. The teacher remained for a few months after that. I tried to contact the mother of the boy whose eye was injured but could never get her to call me back. I wrote a letter to the local newspaper trying to warn parents, but it was not published.

Parents, pay a lot of attention of what goes on in your child's daycare.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:51 AM

1,920 posts, read 2,781,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 925mine View Post
I've avoided this thread, but just thought of something.

I worked a VERY short time in a YMCA daycare. I was in the room with about 15 or so 3 and 4 year olds. There was a couple kids with a LOT of energy and had a hard time following the rules.

During nap time, I witnessed the head teacher literally lay across one of these high energy kids to get her to lay still and go to sleep.

During play time, I witnessed the head teacher grab ahold of one of these high energy kids and pull him to the floor off a climbing structure in the room.

One morning shortly after the children finished arriving, I witnessed the head teacher grab one of these high energy kids, and throw him into a chair, injuring his eye.

I reported these actions to the director. I was fired. The teacher remained for a few months after that. I tried to contact the mother of the boy whose eye was injured but could never get her to call me back. I wrote a letter to the local newspaper trying to warn parents, but it was not published.

Parents, pay a lot of attention of what goes on in your child's daycare.
as Ive mentioned, you should run a back ground check on these people. sometimes I wonder if they do this job because they have felony records, and can not get a regular job. Just google and you will see hundreds more abuse cases.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:06 AM

82 posts, read 377,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
I know daycare is a necessity for some, like you mentioned single parents....but I see way too many people at work where both parents work, the kids are raised by daycare from 6 WEEKS of age and up, yet they live in the upper-class parts of the area, drive expensive cars, are constantly going shopping on lunch break, go on Disney vacations every year, send the kids to private school (even though the public school districts where most of these people live are above average).

I could never see how someone could leave an infant at a daycare center unless it was a last resort. People need to see that their kids' well-being is more important than material things and $$$.

well, there is no choice for some people that they hve to leave infant at a daycare. and everything is about the $$$$$$$$$$$$$, w/o money, u can't even do anything.

Old 09-26-2008, 12:11 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,129,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
Take my advise: dont ever use private home daycare if you can help it. Use the professional daycare centers if you can (or guilt trip relatives into it).

I have the very best private home daycare person. She has a total of 5 kids and on weekends takes my kid with her kid to the kids faire, the zoo, evening movies at the nature center.

She is the best daycare person ever and I would suggest in home daycares can be AWESOME if you find the right one with GOOD PEOPLE! My daughter at night says she wants to go see her even though she just spent the whole day with her. I think you just need to find a person who truly LOVES CHILDREN.

Old 09-26-2008, 01:00 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,129,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girlsand2boys View Post

I don't buy the theory that you need 2 incomes just to get by. You have the right to disagree with me, but my family is proof that it isn't true.
You must be from one of those other states that no one wants to live in which therefore makes them cheap to live in, yeah, in those states and cities you only need 1 income.

I live in beautiful charming San Francisco, and out here, you need 2 incomes to get by.
Believe THAT.

Old 09-26-2008, 01:24 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,266,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
You must be from one of those other states that no one wants to live in which therefore makes them cheap to live in, yeah, in those states and cities you only need 1 income.

I live in beautiful charming San Francisco, and out here, you need 2 incomes to get by.
Believe THAT.
when we had our fist child nearly 7 years ago, I was making nearly 600 dollars month more than Im making now,doing the same thing. 7 years later, alot of things have changed. Gas is up by 3 times, medical insurance insurance is 2.5 times as expensive, and has actually eclips my mortgage payment now. car insurance has gone up, food is skyrocketing. We used to spend 80 dollars a week, now, we have to shop at walmart to get the bill DOWN to 114 dollars a week. On top of that, my pay has gone down an average of 1000 dollars a month. I had to have a second income. Therefore I needed daycare.

I don't know why that other poster feels this is so easy for the rest of us, but nearly everybody I know says the old days are gone.

Im with you.

Old 09-26-2008, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post

Believe THAT.
Well, then I guess life is all about choices then isn't it? We CHOOSE to put our kids first and, according to you, live in a state that no one wants to live in. A state where we can live within our means and not need to supplement with a second income and put our kids in daycare all day and even on the weekends. Hmmm, I'll take that...

If you look it up, your city actually pays 23.4% more than mine, so even if the cost of living is higher, you still have not made your point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting