Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 08:51 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,371,076 times

Advertisements

Just a question.. How do you explain the children with Autism that never had a single vaccine?

Todays vaccines are also a lot safer than the vaccines we recieved when we were young. (Metals)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 08:53 AM

1,636 posts, read 4,229,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeg26 View Post
Just a question.. How do you explain the children with Autism that never had a single vaccine?

Todays vaccines are also a lot safer than the vaccines we recieved when we were young. (Metals)
Maybe it isn't vaccines. That's what some of us have been saying!!!!!

And you can overload on heavy metels by coming in contact with SO many other things besides vaccines!!!!

Old 01-29-2009, 08:54 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,371,076 times
I understand that. It was just a question. I have not read all 18 pages of this thread. I believe that vaccines are not the cause of autism.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:59 AM

733 posts, read 1,928,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
And I know we all discount someone's sources because of who sponsors them and so forth or their hidden agenda. That doesn't make them wrong. Natural mds want to sell to you what they believe can help you just like regular drs sell to you what THEY believe can help you. Some want to make money and some want to help. Makes neither side wrong all the time or right all of the time.
Look I'm not discounting your site, My previous post to you, explains about the Vit D comment. As for trusting doctors, I come from a family of doctors, and are surrounded by them. I don't just dismiss people, I speak with them and I learn. I may or may not agree with them, but I don't assume to know all.

Quote:
We can say that it is genetics all we want. That is obviously true in alot of cases. But those genes have been altered by something. And it is something "simple" as you put it. It's probably right under our noses.
well you can add my case to the gene pool.....lol We already know this.

Quote:
But I'm sure your child with autism
that would be children...

Quote:
is beautiful and wonderful and you wouldn't change him/her for the world. So maybe it really doens't matter what the cause is, since it won't change him/her? But what if by finding the cause they can find a reversal/cure?
They are beautiful, and I do hope that I can help them evolve. I have spoken with many of the leading researchers in Autism and Fragile X and in fact have to make a call today to Mark Bear of The Picower Institute. If you are into the genetic research, you know who he is....

Quote:
Nothing should be discounted at all until someone says "THIS is what causes autism."
Funny, I heard that...the "this is what caused your sons autism...." part.

Quote:
I've said it before. No one believed the world was round for SO long. MANY studies proved this theory and a small amount discarded it. Who was right? The SMALL group of people!
Why are you getting so mad????? You need to take a step back and see what I posted to you previously.

cheers!

Last edited by NoLoveLost; 01-29-2009 at 09:01 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-29-2009, 09:45 AM

733 posts, read 1,928,351 times
Quote:
Not an expert but took a couple genetics classes in college. Passed down even when it shows no symptoms in parents? Like autism in some ways? Some kids have seizures?

The only problem I have with people discounting enviornmental triggers and replacing them with genetics is THAT gene that you passed down was mutated somewhere along the way. And we need to find out how and where and when. I'm a prevention junky
It must have a base in genetics. Then you have environmental or genetic factors that trigger that genetic predisposition. yes, I did say genetic twice...lol

In my kids case it was genetics...I'm not just saying it, and I'm not discounting that there are other ways in which a child may have become autistic, but in my kids case, we were handed the base gene card. The combination of FXS and Autism is not something the researchers just pulled out of the thin air. FXS was discovered only around 20 years ago. My kids were dx'ed 10 years ago. It's a very "young" disorder by medical standards.
I've watched, and researched, over the last 10 years as things progressed. I have spoken with most of the leading experts in both Autism and Fragile X many times over the years, and there isn't any doubt, that in my case it is genetic....

and yes, it was passed down from me to them.....

Old 02-01-2009, 09:16 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,827,101 times
I haven't read all 18 pages of posts but my main concern is that if enough parents decide not to vaccinate their children, we will have resurgences of diseases that have been mostly conquered via vaccinations. That would be a tragedy at least as bad as the current risks of vaccinations.

Old 02-09-2009, 03:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,143 times
The greatest gift that a mother can give her child is breast milk. Why? Breast milk contains IgA antibodies that confer immunity against some pathogens.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:53 PM

1 posts, read 966 times
Hi, I apologise if this against the forum bringing up old threads. I am currently studying microbiology and immunology at University this semester. I have an essay (tomorrow infact) and one of the topics is why parents are chosing not to vaccinate and how it implicates the community. My other chosen topic is herd immunity and the ideal vaccine. Maybe if anyone is still around and wants to add some input?

I would like to thank each of you whether I disagree or agree with your opinions there was one or two reasons I did not even consider in my list of why parents chose not vaccinate. For those interested I am pro-vaccination but I can understand where some of you have come from where you chose to vaccinate in some cases and not in others. I have no children however will probably opt to vaccinate as it is my belief that the benefits outweight the chances. Will I vaccinate against everything? Science is forever changing and I will decide that when and if I have children of my own. Do I think some of you are silly not vaccinating at all, sure... and most of those points have been stated by others, however I don't think any of you are bad in your decisions because you all seem to be trying to do what you think is right for your family.

I do disagree with one particular frequent poster and a few comments from others but other members have argued my points I'de state. I initially came to this thread for a few ideas and I ended up reading the entire 18 pages. Also as part of my class I had to write a review paper on findings. I chose Andrew Wakefield's Lancet theory in 1998 which was the theory that MMR caused intestinal problems causing neurological factors resulting in autism. Why did I pick this topic? My little brother has Autism and it was my Mother's belief that his vaccination caused it due to the time frame. After much research reading many experiments for and against the theory I disagree strongly with my mother. Noone has been able to duplicate the experiment, the experiment was higly bias with 12 subjects 11 boys and 1 girl, they already suffered from intestinal problems, there are claims that a patient's parents paid a great sum of money to Wakefield to find a link between MMR and Austism. Furthermore my sister who is now an Adult has just been diagnosted with Austim. I believe there is a genetic factor in there. 10 of the 13 contributors to the paper on the link to Austism have retracted their claims, Wakefield is one of the remaining three and there is a full investigation this year into Wakefield's claims and practises in the UK by the Medical Council. Brian Deer - briandeer.com has alot of great info for those interested.

I send my best wishes to NoLoveLost and your child with Fragile X. I have faith we will find a way to prevent this from happening to children in the future. So many people are against genetic engeering which is another subject entirely but it has helped so much already.

Once again, thank you all for such an interesting read.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:29 AM

1 posts, read 769 times
Vaccinations are safe, and the federal government has found no connection between autism and vaccines. Not vaccinated your child will not only majorly harm your child but will also hurt any children exposed to them since they could now become carriers for diseases not seen in years. The rising of pertussis (whooping cough) is due to parents deciding not to vaccinate their children and pertussis can kill or seriously injure your child for years to come. Please look for actual facts when deciding on vaccinations, they have been used for hundreds of years (1796) and have proven to be one of the biggest medical advances of modern times

Old 02-25-2011, 10:30 AM

43 posts, read 132,418 times
I don't think it's a question of whether parents "want" to vaccinate their children or not, it's more about parents being afraid to vaccinate based on the rising numbers of autism and no answers as to what truly triggers regressive autism. There are many theories and vaccines are just one of them. You cannot tell a parent who experienced horrible side effects that ultimately resulted in a diagnosis of autism that it's okay, all these studies found no link between vaccines and autism, so just do the "right" thing and vaccinate them because we say so. It's going to take more than pharmaceutical funded studies on the vaccine/autism link to change parents' minds who have witnessed it first hand and live with it everyday. Everyone wants to protect their children from diseases and that is what has ultimately brought us to the debate we have today. If there were no cases of regressive autism and seizures immediately following vaccinations, there would be no need for this discussion. Until there are concrete answers this is going to continue to be an on-going debate - and I don't mean studies that the pharmaceutical companies have funded to give new parents reassurance to vaccinate their babies either. My personal opinion means very little in regard to this debate, it's just a simple fact. People are seeing and hearing all of these horrible things going wrong after vaccines and they are afraid the same thing might happen to their own children and they have every reason to be afraid - it's real, it happened and children and families are living with it every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting