Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 07:19 AM

1,149 posts, read 2,514,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mari4him View Post
I walked into a store one day and found a sign up that I thought was original. It stated.. "We know your child is a sight to behold, so please do so".

I agree that anyone, kids or parents, can simply have a bad day, so I don't tend to judge people when I am out and about and see children misbehaving. I don't know the situation of that family and for all I know this is just one of those bad days. Although I do know the frustration that can be felt in certain instances when you don't see a parent at least trying to get the child to behave appropriately instead of ignoring the behavior as if its just okay for everyone else to have to tolerate and endure it.

Parenting and being a parent is not easy. I agree that it has become a rather permissive society in which the feelings and individuality of a child has become the throne to worship rather that raising a child that knows how to behave in public, that is respectful, exhibits self-control and understands that the term "no" is part of vocabulary.

In some cases it is like the parent's no longer have the reign, the kids do. They control what is done, what is not done, how it is done, how it is not done, when it's time to leave merely by being subjected to a child-centered environment in their homes. This I don't believe is healthy because these small children will grow to being teens who always need to get their way, can't handle disappointment or being told they didn't make the team, didn't get the A because their paper wasn't good enough and who believe it is okay to talk back to and disrespect teachers, administrators, police officers and anyone else in a position of authority, why because they are entitled and were never held accountable for their behavior.

These same small children will one day also grow up to being adults who will follow along the same lines.

Now kids will be kids and they will have those moments when they act out and misbehave, but as parents, we need to be sure we point out that such things are not acceptible. Things like self-control, respect for people and things, proper behavior, and having consideration for others around you are good characteristics to have, however, these are learned behaviors and must be taught. How is a child to learn these things if parent's are more concerned with a child's comfort than they are with their character.

I'm not saying all parents are doing this. There a many many great parents out there that do concern themselves with their children's character. Unfortunately though there are some out there that don't and these parents honestly do their children more of a disservice by being so permissive.
Very well put, mari
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 07:32 AM

969 posts, read 2,852,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
I noticed my friends with grown kids already forget how it was with babies/toddlers.
I don't forget.

I remember leaving the grocery store with a shrieking 2 year old (saying excuse me - please take this half full basket back - we have to leave) so in order not to subject OTHER people to the tantrum.

I remember bringing interesting manipulative items to the resturant to keep my kids from standing in the booth and staring at other diners.

I remember riding in airplanes and removing their shoes and being AWARE of their feet so that they did NOT kick the seat in front of us.

I also remember thinking that my children were MY problem and responsibility - not the public around us.

But that is just me.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:42 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,647,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasonville View Post
I don't forget.

I remember leaving the grocery store with a shrieking 2 year old (saying excuse me - please take this half full basket back - we have to leave) so in order not to subject OTHER people to the tantrum.

I remember bringing interesting manipulative items to the resturant to keep my kids from standing in the booth and staring at other diners.

I remember riding in airplanes and removing their shoes and being AWARE of their feet so that they did NOT kick the seat in front of us.

I also remember thinking that my children were MY problem and responsibility - not the public around us.

But that is just me.
As a society, we seem to have become more laxed and mindless of others. It is really a shame, consideration has taken a backseat.

Old 09-24-2008, 08:14 AM

134 posts, read 590,543 times
i had a couple of times where we live that the childern that live by us pick on my daughtler who 2 years delaye do realy mean thiongs to her i would go tell their parents they say ok i will talk to them about it. after that they these same would starte it up again and i have to go back to go back over again and the parent again and this parent again tell ok i will talk to them . the parent was nice but didnt do nothing her kids being mean to my daughtler these same childern who picked on my daughtler picked on other childern around the complex other parents would tell that same parent their childern were being to their child.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:08 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,951,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasonville View Post
I don't forget.

But that is just me.

AMEN I am currently a parent and I agree with you 100% I do the same things.

I will never get upset if a child is a little upset while I'm out - if I'm on line in a grocery store and soemone is checking out with a crying newborn, I acutually feel sorry for them and will let them ahead of me if it can help. BUT that's not the behavior I'm talking about. There are far too many parents today who seem to think it is ok for their little "darlings" to torture the entire world and it is NOT ok.

Old 09-24-2008, 01:15 PM

Oh, and another thing I have noticed.
It will be pretty cool and windy outside and I have seen parents bring their kids to the store half naked, but the parent will be wearing a coat or jacket!
DRESS YOUR KID'S PEOPLE!!!
I just can't believe it!

Old 09-24-2008, 01:28 PM

The little ones will have nothing but a diaper on and have snot running from their little noses.
It is just pathetic!
Poor Baby's!

Old 09-24-2008, 08:09 PM

81 posts, read 257,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie_Dokie! View Post
Oh, and another thing I have noticed.
It will be pretty cool and windy outside and I have seen parents bring their kids to the store half naked, but the parent will be wearing a coat or jacket!
DRESS YOUR KID'S PEOPLE!!!
I just can't believe it!
Oh, it drive me crazy when its 40 degrees outside when people have pants on their 5 month old babies but no socks.

Old 09-24-2008, 08:55 PM

895 posts, read 4,249,046 times
The past few posts made me shake my head. I'm not trying to make excuses, especially because I live in a moderate climate. My daughter was renowned wherever we went last year because she wore a bathing suit and flip flops EVERY day. When it was very cool out, I convinced her to put a sweater or jacket over the bathing suit but that is what she wore EVERY day. She has now outgrown this phase and has moved onto dresses and princess crowns. I was also the mom who always had a baby without socks. By the time we got to where we were going, she had removed her socks and had thrown them somewhere in the car. I usually tried to keep an extra on hand but that didn't always happen. Yes, I am the woman who occasionally has a screaming (and I mean at the top of her lungs) child when she is out running errands or other stuff. I could use the excuse that I have too many kids but 90% of the time, they are well-behaved and attentive. Forgive me the 10% when I am having an off day and my children are not acting perfect when out in public.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:51 AM

As for behaving in public, I am not talking about baby's. I am talking about kid's that are old enough to know better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting