Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 07:01 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5FLgirls View Post
The past few posts made me shake my head. I'm not trying to make excuses, especially because I live in a moderate climate. My daughter was renowned wherever we went last year because she wore a bathing suit and flip flops EVERY day. When it was very cool out, I convinced her to put a sweater or jacket over the bathing suit but that is what she wore EVERY day. She has now outgrown this phase and has moved onto dresses and princess crowns. I was also the mom who always had a baby without socks. By the time we got to where we were going, she had removed her socks and had thrown them somewhere in the car. I usually tried to keep an extra on hand but that didn't always happen. Yes, I am the woman who occasionally has a screaming (and I mean at the top of her lungs) child when she is out running errands or other stuff. I could use the excuse that I have too many kids but 90% of the time, they are well-behaved and attentive. Forgive me the 10% when I am having an off day and my children are not acting perfect when out in public.
That is too cute!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 07:10 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,925,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie_Dokie! View Post
As for behaving in public, I am not talking about baby's. I am talking about kid's that are old enough to know better.
Okie, I really want to tell you, because I see it consistently in like every post you make. Please don't take this personally. The plural of baby is babies. The plural of kid is kids. Apostrophes imply possession (or contractions), not plurality.

Please resume your regularly scheduled programming.

Old 09-25-2008, 11:28 AM

1,149 posts, read 2,514,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
Okie, I really want to tell you, because I see it consistently in like every post you make. Please don't take this personally. The plural of baby is babies. The plural of kid is kids. Apostrophes imply possession (or contractions), not plurality.

Please resume your regularly scheduled programming.
OKIE DOKIE!
I am going to my corner now.

Old 09-26-2008, 07:37 AM

969 posts, read 2,852,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5FLgirls View Post
Yes, I am the woman who occasionally has a screaming (and I mean at the top of her lungs) child when she is out running errands or other stuff. I could use the excuse that I have too many kids but 90% of the time, they are well-behaved and attentive. Forgive me the 10% when I am having an off day and my children are not acting perfect when out in public.
We can't keep them from screaming in the first place - but we CAN take screaming child out of the public experience.

Half the time I think they act up just because they KNOW that the parent will put up with in public (out of haste and embarrasment) 10 times more than would be tolerated at home.

If you look up manipulative in the dictionary I think you will see a picture of a 3 year old on a sugar buzz

I really don't expect perfection - just consideration

Old 09-26-2008, 07:59 AM

650 posts, read 2,179,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasonville View Post
We can't keep them from screaming in the first place - but we CAN take screaming child out of the public experience.

Half the time I think they act up just because they KNOW that the parent will put up with in public (out of haste and embarrasment) 10 times more than would be tolerated at home.

If you look up manipulative in the dictionary I think you will see a picture of a 3 year old on a sugar buzz

I really don't expect perfection - just consideration
I actually disagree-- I think it is just the opposite. If you let your child bully YOU by leaving everytime he acts up, he learns that all I have to do if I don't want to be here is scream and Mommy will run for the door. It is just giving in. Kids aren't stupid and can be very manipulative. There are times that my sons are at hteir wits ends and crying to leave, but I have stuff that I need to get done. They just have to suck it up. If I left everytime they acted up because I was afraid of what other patrons thought, I'd never be able to leave the house.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:18 AM

969 posts, read 2,852,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girlsand2boys View Post
I actually disagree-- I think it is just the opposite. If you let your child bully YOU by leaving everytime he acts up, he learns that all I have to do if I don't want to be here is scream and Mommy will run for the door. It is just giving in. Kids aren't stupid and can be very manipulative. There are times that my sons are at hteir wits ends and crying to leave, but I have stuff that I need to get done. They just have to suck it up. If I left everytime they acted up because I was afraid of what other patrons thought, I'd never be able to leave the house.
But why do "I" have to suck it up? I don't think you have to leave permanently - take them outside - explain they are being rude - and then return to your task at hand when they calm down or are distracted from the tantrum.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:32 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,644,605 times
Quote:
But why do "I" have to suck it up? I don't think you have to leave permanently - take them outside - explain they are being rude - and then return to your task at hand when they calm down or are distracted from the tantrum.
Because the "Me Generation" is raising children. It's not about you it's all about them

Old 09-26-2008, 09:06 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,370,655 times
It only takes once or twice of correcting this behavior (however you see fit) and usually it solves the problem. I only remember a few times that my kids threw fits in a store or resturant. I told them what would happen if they didn't stop, and I followed through! After that, the "Look" would work.

I didn't just leave a store/resturant when they acted up. I would take them to the bathroom and have a little talk with them, or sometimes a little swat on the bottom if the behavior was really bad. Then we would go back and finish what we were doing. If you leave every time they act up you will never get anything done, and they'll know they only need to misbehave and they can leave!

It IS possible to go out without the kids acting like animals! You just have to be firm and consistant! Be the parent.

BTW, parents need to remember not to give in or buy kids something every time you go out! You're setting yourself up for problems if you start doing that. Let them know from a young age that you expect them to behave, you know they can behave, and if they don't there will be consequences!

Old 09-26-2008, 09:27 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girlsand2boys View Post
So nice that you feel that you're more important than everyone else.
So kind that you want everyone else to put up with the bad behavior of your kids.
Why do I have to suffer for your kids bad behavior?

Old 09-26-2008, 12:19 PM

1,156 posts, read 3,750,058 times
Quote:
But you could also say, why is it all about YOU?
Who promised you a life free of public annoyances?
As the parents like to say, life ain't fair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting