Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 06:44 PM

107 posts, read 398,273 times

Advertisements

I am having a slumber party for my daughter who will be turning 11 next week. Invitations have been sent out and we are anticipating five girls (all 11 years old). Any suggestions would be helpful (food, tips, activities). Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 06:51 PM

650 posts, read 2,178,887 times
We just had my 10-year-old's first sleepover last month. We had purchased little manicure kits at Target for a $1 a piece and the girls gave each other manis and pedis. It was a HUGE hit. They also all sang karaoke for over an hour, had icecream cake, watched Hannah Montana and ate popcorn. The girls all seemed to have a good time andit was very low key.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:44 PM

81 posts, read 257,357 times
I suggest no more than 3 girls(your DD and 2 friends). Any more than that is trouble. Been there, done that. Not going back. ha ha Oh, you can't change your mind about that anymore. lol

Old 09-24-2008, 07:50 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,891,469 times
Did the same thing with my DD just before turning 12. Her birthday fell exactly on the date of our interstate move. I had already moved so hubby and my 9 yo son co-hosted a sleepover of 14 girls! Gotta hand it to hubby...part of the activities was ice-skating (this was mid-December in New England). Other parents helped to transport 14 girls...DH said he'd never do it again, but all in all, everyone had a blast.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:22 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,929,449 times
Five 11 year old girls should be fine - especially if you know them all well. We have done several parties and the only problems are if the girls don't get along. If that happens you need to simply intervene with some sort of a group activity. Have more games, crafts... thought up than you think you'll need. You never know what will be a hit. One popular activity at my daughter's party was when I made up a scavenger hunt and wrote on little slips of paper telling them where to go next "Look in the dryer for a silly surprise" (then the next clue was written on an old sock in the dryer...). They had so much fun with that game that they spent two hours making up their own clues and doing it themselves!

Another helpful hint - write each girl's name on a piece of paper and tape it to the wall. She should keep all of her stuff in that location/zone - sleeping bag, clothes, shoes, socks, CDs, stuffed animals... It really helps in the morning when the parents show up for pick-up so that you don't have five girls digging through a big pile of stuff trying to find their things!

Have fun!

Old 09-25-2008, 08:51 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,530,753 times
Go to a local thrift store and buy up fancy dresses. Then pick up some cheapo cosmetics.
They can play dress up!

I love these ideas!

Old 09-25-2008, 09:27 AM

138 posts, read 369,368 times
The usual : pizza, movies, chips, girl talk, music, mani, pedis, facials is a big hit!

Take a group pic and send a card with the girls pictures on it in about a wk that will be a nice thing for the parents to have.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:53 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,429,058 times
Just dont expect TONS of sleeping going on... LOL maybe lots of giggling instead!
Have fun!

Old 09-25-2008, 12:15 PM

697 posts, read 2,014,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraS View Post
I suggest no more than 3 girls(your DD and 2 friends). Any more than that is trouble. Been there, done that. Not going back. ha ha Oh, you can't change your mind about that anymore. lol

There's one really big problem with only 3. If two pair off, one will be left out. If there is a disagreement, the odd one will choose sides, and someone will be hurt. Three is the one number you don't want.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:41 PM

107 posts, read 398,273 times
Thanks everyone for the great tips! Pizza sounds like a great dinner idea. Also the thrift store idea is great, maybe they could dress up and have a talent/fashion show. Some other ideas include: (let me know your thoughts) My daughter loves baking and I was hoping to go to the craft store and get six aprons and personalized each apron! I was going to allow the girls to bake an array of desserts (cookies, brownies, etc.) and eat them at the end of the night! Another thought is to get iron on thingys and write "Destiny's Slumber Party with date of the event" and iron them on pillowcases and let each girl sign them for another take home gift. Whatcha all think???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting