Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 05:25 PM

546 posts, read 2,204,921 times

Advertisements

my 4 year old just accidently kicked my finger when we were playing, my finger almost broke and I'm deeply in pain...and he doesn't care, he just ran off to play some more without asking how I'm feeling.....I feel so heart broken...is this normal for him at this age, or this is pretty much his personality. If it's the latter, I can see what's the future like when I get old and what's the sense of living..oh.....how do you handle this case and have you experience this before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 05:44 PM

650 posts, read 2,179,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueimo View Post
my 4 year old just accidently kicked my finger when we were playing, my finger almost broke and I'm deeply in pain...and he doesn't care, he just ran off to play some more without asking how I'm feeling.....I feel so heart broken...is this normal for him at this age, or this is pretty much his personality. If it's the latter, I can see what's the future like when I get old and what's the sense of living..oh.....how do you handle this case and have you experience this before?
I think it is the age. Preschoolers still haven't all outgrown that egocentric stage ( I know my 4 year old is still working through this) and they don't tend to worry about what is going on with other people. Just make sure to model empathetic behavior yourself and your child will begin to pick up on it as he matures.

Old 09-29-2008, 05:47 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,185,929 times
Hmmm wow. Not sure. So how do you handle his boo boos and owies? Do you hold him and kinda make over him, telling him he will be okay....Maybe a little discussing with him how other people get hurt too, or have bad things happen...and they feel sad and hurt like he does when stuff happens to him that hurts. And doesn't it help him to feel better when you care for him and let him know you are taking care of him? Maybe when you see someone crying, you could ask him how he thinks they feel. Or why they might be crying, or yelling, frowning, etc....
maybe when you or dad are feeling down or have your own booboos, you could ask for for a 'help me feel better hug', and if he does, tell him that really helps you feel better and you are happy he cares for you too.
Something like that maybe???

Old 09-29-2008, 05:49 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,985,792 times
I agree that it's the age. My daughter, at 5, is now empathetic towards other kids. Last year at this time, she'd complain that "so and so was crying and it was loud and my ears hurt, wahhh!" without realizing that little so and so was crying because she had been pushed my my darling daughter! I bet he'll outgrow it in a year or so.

Old 09-29-2008, 05:52 PM

134 posts, read 590,669 times
let him know that your finger hurts and show your finger to him. tell him he needs to be more careful . all childern are differnt at expressing their feelings .childern express their concern when they get a little older .your son sounds like he is more active .

Old 09-29-2008, 06:12 PM

809 posts, read 2,885,222 times
Next time he gets hurt ask him if he liked getting hurt or not.........

of course he'll say he WON'T and then at that point let him know that when he "accidentally" hurts someone else he should always remember what it's like when HE gets hurt and to think about what HE would want if he was the one who was hurt and then for him to act that way towards the person he accidentally hurt.........

it's hard to explain that much to a 4 year old I know..... but usually you have to do the "teaching" during a situation in which THEY are the ones who are hurt, so they remember the pain, and they remember that situation and can remember that if THEY don't like it then soon they should learn that other people won't like the pain either.

Old 09-29-2008, 07:52 PM

697 posts, read 2,016,011 times
Geez, I'd put my finger up to his mouth, ask him to kiss it because it hurts, and be on his way. No discussion necessary.

Kids don't need to learn to dwell on things like that.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:05 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,185,929 times
Kids don't need to learn empathy??!!!

Old 09-30-2008, 04:13 AM

603 posts, read 2,340,428 times
My son accidentally hit me in the nose so hard my eyes watered. I looked him dead in the eyes and said, "I know you didn't mean to, but you hurt mommy. Please kiss it to make it better and say you're sorry". Now, he immediately says, "Sorry mommy. I'll kiss it."

Old 09-30-2008, 05:39 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,928,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charz View Post
My son accidentally hit me in the nose so hard my eyes watered. I looked him dead in the eyes and said, "I know you didn't mean to, but you hurt mommy. Please kiss it to make it better and say you're sorry". Now, he immediately says, "Sorry mommy. I'll kiss it."
Just because he follows your directions and does what you told him to, doesn't mean that he actually understands empathy at all, just that he's doing what he knows you expect him to do. I do not think that's the same thing at all.

I recently heard a study [Nature 454, 1079-1083 (28 August 2008)] showing that children at around age 3-4 still behave selfishly, but by age 7-8 they mostly show empathy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting