Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 12:06 PM

546 posts, read 2,203,902 times

Advertisements

What would you do here parents?

1. send your child to the best public schools, but you need to drive your child to school, a bit farther from your home school boundary, but the grades are at the very top of the state?

2. Have your child enjoy the free school bus ride at your home public school boundary, the schools aren’t the best, but they are just OK.

I thought of it this way for the first option, I actually save the private school tuition, being able to send my child to the best public school instead, even though I need to drive my child to school each day and his friends at the same neighborhood might not then go to the same school as he does. But that doesn’t mean he won’t be making his own circle of friends at school…what’s your input? Thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 12:10 PM

909 posts, read 3,363,413 times
So you can send your kid to other public schools, even though they are not your neighborhood school? Pretty cool! Well, assuming the drive is not too far (like more than 20 minutes) I would go for the better school. If the home school was better, not top, but at least excellent, I'd keep him there, but if your home school is only okay, I'd go for the best.

Old 09-26-2008, 01:39 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,914,887 times
I struggled with this question as well, to some degree. Automatically, I might say the better school that is out-of-boundries. However, if the local school is not failing, I would ask myself if I had time to volunteer at the school and if the school was open to a lot of parental involvement. If the answers are yes, there could be the possibility of you helping to improve the school, to the benefit of all.

Just my two cents.

Old 09-26-2008, 02:02 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,510,708 times
You're allowed to send your child to a public school that is not in your boundary? That's neat.

I'd go with #1. When the opportunity to provide your child with the best education is presented, take it.

Old 09-26-2008, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
You're allowed to send your child to a public school that is not in your boundary? That's neat.

I'd go with #1. When the opportunity to provide your child with the best education is presented, take it.
can you guys send your kids to a public school outside of your boundary?
I didn't know you could not that in some states...

Old 09-26-2008, 03:46 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,510,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueimo View Post
can you guys send your kids to a public school outside of your boundary?
I didn't know you could not that in some states...
No, in the county we live in our state, you are sent to the public school under which you fall according to address. Luckily, for us, we happen to have one of the top ranked elementary schools, 2 parochial, 1 lutheran & 2 private within a 2 1/2 mile radius

We also have to live at least 1 1/2 miles from the school to be bussed.

Unfortunately, the district had to stop picking up children in front of their home start of this school year due to rising costs. Now, all the kids gather at a specific house on the street to be picked up & dropped off.

Old 09-26-2008, 05:53 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,462,012 times
I did not, nor did my son ever attend a public school with bus service so I have never seen the attraction of that, so I would go with the better school out of the boundary area since the lack of bus service doesn't mean anything to me.

Old 09-26-2008, 06:31 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,398,734 times
For my daughter I chose out of the district as well. I had to take her on a 30 minute train ride to school before heading to my job on the other side of town. I spent plenty of dollars on afterschool care. I paid for the YMCA and afterschool program in her school. The school charged $8 per hour and the Y was about $675 quarterly. However, the outstanding program was worth it. I had to travel to the other side of town to pick her up. I did this for seven years before my daughter was allowed to go to school. Although, it's not for everyone--the education she received was well worth it. She had private and boarding schools vying for her.

If you choose outside of district, your child could make friends in the neighborhood by joining clubs, church involvement or playgroups.

I do agree with poster crazyme4878, sometimes the neighborhood schools need community involvement to make it better. Believe me I was criticize for opting out of the community by parents who thought I should've contributed instead of pulling my child into another district. Mine was a personal choice and one must go with their gut.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:50 PM

697 posts, read 2,015,093 times
In our state, that is not an option. We can't even send our children to another elementary in our own district without paying tuition. So I homeschool.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 925mine View Post
In our state, that is not an option. We can't even send our children to another elementary in our own district without paying tuition. So I homeschool.
I wonder why it's so different between state to states, what's the reason? I double checked on the tuition payment for a cross boundary school, there isn't one either.

how do you do homeschool? does the education dept. allow parents to do homeschool without attending a formal school? I can't even get my child to listen to me and sit down nicely, how did you do it? thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting