Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 08:04 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,921,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Stole a video game for an 8 year old for a boy she likes ..........
I know. It boggles the mind, doesn't it?

I might be inclined to look the other way if she was stealing food because her children were going hungry. But I have NO sympathy for her in this case. She's a bad parent and trying to always have the finer things in life even though she can't pay for them is ridiculous. I wouldn't sue her, I'd arrest her and throw her sorry butt in jail.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:09 AM

3,414 posts, read 7,144,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
This is so sad that our country has become such a place that we feel the need to steal to keep up with everyone else. How would you feel if you daughter stole something and got caught?
I don't think it's our country's fault that this woman (who's in charge of children) has such a screwy value system. I put that squarely on her own greedy shoulders.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:18 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,873,729 times
Wow! Am I relieved!
For a moment I thought you SPANKED her!
Now that would have been really HORRIBLE!
LOL

Old 09-30-2008, 08:29 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,512,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 925mine View Post
Is this for real??????? How stupid can one person be?? This can't be real.
No, it's not.

OP needs to find better ways to spend his/her time or get the attention they are looking for.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:32 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,864 times
I'm finding it hard to believe this is real - when someone posts for the first time and it's a post like this....well. Maybe I'll be wrong and she'll be back and respond.

If it is real, I personally think she needs help beyond these boards - she steals habitually, has it worded like it was only bad because her daughter saw her, and she is stealing things just to keep up with the Jone's???? If she was stealing food, I may have slight sympathy, but there are enough places that are more than willing to help people out. Stealing because she wants her kids to keep up with the others....way beyond okay in any situation. What alone is that teaching your kids - you can always have whatever you want, even if it's beyond your means?

The rest of us are the ones who pay in the end for people who feel it's okay to steal. To say you don't want your kids to "suffer" because they've always lived a life of privilege???? That is so beyond ridiculous it's almost funny.

Children are smart. They can understand what you tell them and you can be frank and honest when there is something you can't afford. Maybe you need to sell the house and move into an area of town that you can afford and not have every bit of child support to go to a mortgage.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:39 AM

2,751 posts, read 5,363,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenkaren View Post
So i honestly do not do it very often, and NEVER in front of my child but I stole something and I think my daughter saw me do it.
My little girl is 8 years old, and I feel the need to provide her and my other kids with the finer things in life (so sue me). We live in what you would call an affluent area of town. Well after my husband and I got divorced, I got the house but no alimony, and child support is pretty much covering my morgage. Anyways, point is that I want my kids to be able to keep up with the other kids at school, so ocassionaly I will steal something they want (they dont know I steal though) so they do not have to do without. My daughter wanted to get a video game for a boy she likes, whoes birthday party is this Friday. I didnt want to spend that much money, but all the other kids spend that and more. I didnt want her to feel inferior, So I stole it. I noticed she was very quiet on the way home and I think she may have noticed I did not pay for it. She has not said anything so should I just let it go, or tell her i took just incase she did see. I feel like a bad mom, but I am just trying to do the best for my kids. I know that is not the way to do it, but i hate to see my kids suffer at such a young age when they have always lived a life of privilege. I dont want them to have to change their life because their father and i could not work things out. Should I just tell her?
Gotta be honest and say I had to read your post a couple times to find my empathy for you, but now I think I can understand how someone could get so caught up in the bull**** materialism we are so bombarded with in the year 2008 that their priorities can go so astray. You are worried about all the wrong things: whether your daughter saw you steal, about your kids keeping up with the other kids in school, making sure your daughter has a birthday gift that will measure up to the other kids at the party. Either you must have grown up very wealthy yourself and it's all you know, or so poor that like Scarlet O'Hara you swore that you'd, "Never be hungry again!" Regardless, your actions are telling your daughter that the only way she can have any self worth is through things, when anybody with any depth knows that having things will not do that for you.

You and your husband split up, that's the real hurt for them. That's the thing that they must face, try to understand and properly place. It's your job as a parent to help them do that so they will not stagnate, so that they will grow emotionally and psychologically, but you may have some growth to do in those areas first. Your daughter didn't mention what she saw to you to save you both embarrassment. It sounds like she's got good instincts, you are lucky, you can build on that. But first of course you'd have to see it. You'd have to see that yes you are having financial difficulties, and yes everyone seems to be so much better off than you it is an affront to your sense of pride, your sense of self, but that you have an opportunity ere to teach your kids about a self worth that doesn't depend on personal net worth or the closing of the DOW.

Hey, any pain is real pain, and if that's what you're feeling, then I feel for you. But just be sure you're fighting the right battle or you could lose the war. The war of course is to prepare your kids for their lives, and to make it as easy as possible for them to look at themselves in the mirror now and years from now, long after you're gone. When the RE market shakes out, sell your house and move them to a less affluent neighborhood so you won't have to worry about if or fake it anymore, and they will get to see how happy, intelligent and emotionally healthy alotta kids growing up with alot less can be.

Last edited by ExPit; 09-30-2008 at 08:49 AM.. Reason: ah hell, why not?

Old 09-30-2008, 08:40 AM

3,032 posts, read 5,264,761 times
when I was growing up, my mom would take us out to eat, we would all get up, and run outside,and haul ass out of the parking lot. We usually did this 2 times a month. It occured to me years later that we were stealing from the restaurants. When I hear the term, "well, hate to eat and run", I think of my late mom I think she did what she had to do to get us a meal after my dead beat dad refused to pay child support.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:43 AM

2,751 posts, read 5,363,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
when I was growing up, my mom would take us out to eat, we would all get up, and run outside,and haul ass out of the parking lot. We usually did this 2 times a month. It occured to me years later that we were stealing from the restaurants. When I hear the term, "well, hate to eat and run", I think of my late mom I think she did what she had to do to get us a meal after my dead beat dad refused to pay child support.
Hey, she was feeding you. I commend her, if that was the only way she could do it. Any parent would steal to feed or clothe or house a kid.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:47 AM

3,032 posts, read 5,264,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExPit View Post
Hey, she was feeding you. I commend her, if that was the only way she could do it. Any parent would steal to feed or clothe or house a kid.
Thats what I think...hope Im right. You can get away with it easy in 1970s los Angeles, it was a huge town back, drive 10 miles and no one would ever reconize you.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:57 AM

859 posts, read 2,148,893 times
thinking being she has not reponded,,,,she is a troll
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting