Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 04:19 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,228,089 times

Advertisements

there IS naturally occuring fluoride in water but that is NOT the case with the ADDED fluoride!

The tablets are also different than the naturally occuring fluoride.

Some people don't mind this toxin, as yes it has been shown in some studies to help your teeth, but others prefer to steer clear. My city adds it and luckily a family member works for a company who sells reverse osmosis filters.

I don't want my family, especially baby ingesting that crap!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 05:19 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,393,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
there IS naturally occuring fluoride in water but that is NOT the case with the ADDED fluoride!

The tablets are also different than the naturally occuring fluoride.

Some people don't mind this toxin, as yes it has been shown in some studies to help your teeth, but others prefer to steer clear. My city adds it and luckily a family member works for a company who sells reverse osmosis filters.

I don't want my family, especially baby ingesting that crap!
Okay I just like to add as a woman who grew up with an All-natural Caribbean earth mother. . .We grew up drinking bottled non-fluoridated water. I always had a surprising number of cavities! At least according to my dentist . We had great oral hygiene and used fluoridated toothpaste, but it made no difference. Luckily I have good genes so my teeth are still pretty nice.

Also, I know people who grew up eating white bread (which was NOT allowed in my house) and hotdogs and stuff AND drank tap water, and they seem just as healthy as I am. I think the trick may be allowing your child to drink tap water at least once in a while and not freaking out about it. I bet almost everyone on this list grew up drinking fluoridated water (rolls her eyes).

Fluoridated water is the reason most Americans have such "nice" teeth. A low amount can definitely help your kid's teeth. If you have to be a fanatic and totally avoid fluoride, then you may need to make sure your kid brushes and rinses with a fluoride rinse. But that poses the danger that the rinse could have *concentrated* amounts of fluoride. That may be even MORE harmful if your child swallows the treatment by accident.

Maybe I'm reacting to my own upbringing, but on behalf of your kids, I think you guys should relax. It's just water! Your child would have to drink a whooole lotta fluoride to end up with serious side effects. I love my mom and I really appreciate her attention to our health and nutrition, but when I have kids, I plan to be more relaxed.

On behalf of your small or unborn children, I beg some of you to do the same. If a little fluoride will seriously harm your children, then I fear for our gene pool. Fluoride and other elements are everywhere. In moderation they do little harm, and this particular mineral can actually do good.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:34 PM

13 posts, read 20,055 times
I agree with miasmommy...Yes fluoride is a naturally occuring element, but what they add to your water is sodium fluoride, an industrial TOXIC waste, & regardless of whether or not it's natural or not it is still TOXIC & has been proven to cause various forms of cancer, skeletal diseases, disrupt hormones, destroy the pineal gland, disrupt the thyroid gland (regulates hormone production), cause lethargy & docility & the list goes on and on.

Why do you think that the Nazis fluoridated concentration camp water ( makes ppl less agressive/docile??) & the Russians used it in the gulags? Why is it that sodium fluoride is the ONLY active ingredient in some rat poisons? Why is it used as an insecticide? Fluoride is poisonous & there is no way around it, just do your research & you'll know what I mean (fluoridealert.org is a great place to start & even youtube)

I use non fluoridated toothpaste (as of recently; even tho some damage has already been done seeing as I was given fluoride drops as a kid) & my teeth are fine. Your teeth & tongue absorb the fluoride in your toothpaste, therefore it is harmful. Also fluoride is a bioaccumulater (meaning your body cannot naturally detoxify itself of it & it accumulates over your lifespan, eventually leading to problems such as bone cancer for example).

There are many toxic elements that occur naturally but i damn sure dont want to start ingesting it because its natural.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:44 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,049,157 times
I've always found it humorous that I grew up in the U.S., drinking fluoridated water, and I have a mouth full of fillings. My husband grew up in England, with no fluoride at all, and has never had a cavity in his life.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:52 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,068,225 times
I have one brother and we both grew up on well water with no fluoride. I have a mouth of fillings and very bad teeth with upper dentures in the last year and need lowers too. My brother has probably only had 2 fillings in his whole life and NEVER goes to the dentist. I have brushed my teeth am and pm my whole life as he has with regular fluoridated toothpaste.
I don't know the answer but I do know I ain't gonna go buy water for my kids because it is "poison".

Old 05-21-2009, 08:59 PM

167 posts, read 451,564 times
we chose our current house partly due to the (then) lack of fluoridated water. the state is mandating it by the end of the year, we will be drilling a well, and using that.

in the 1950's the ADA said that fluoride was necessary because 50% of kids had cavities. a few years ago they were patting themselves on the back because ONLY 50% of kids have cavities.

brushing and flossing, avoiding sweets, and rinsing your mouth out after you eat will do far more for your teeth, than stuff in the water.

the clinical toxicology of commercial products, 5th addition (1984) gives lead a a toxicity rating of 3-4 (3=moderately toxic,4=very toxic) and the EPA has set 0.015 ppm as the maximum safe level for lead in drinking water (with a goal of 0.0 ppm) yet the toxicity rating for sodium fluoride is 4, and yet the safe level is currently set at 4.0 ppm (250 times as much as lead)

Old 05-22-2009, 06:34 AM

1,636 posts, read 4,228,089 times
No fluoride! It is not supposed to be swallowed no matter what anyone tells you. It is NOT good for you and even worse for small children! Thank god my uncle provides us with a filter!

Funny, if you call the "nursery water" company and ask them they will tell you that you are NOT supposed to make baby bottles with it because it is unsafe for children under the age of 2! Funny how they market it that way. I called one day because I was concerned and that is what they told me.

Fluoride IS dangerous. Though they say it is "natural" you can say that about anything. High fructose corn syrup is natural, cocaine is natural, so what? Doesn't make it right. And the fluoride they put in water IS synthesized!

Brush their teeth, make sure they floss or you floss for them and limit juice and sweets and always brush after meals. Rinse with water when you can't to rinse away some bacteria.

Many many many counties across the nation have it banned in their drinking water (the adding of since there is some naturally occuring)

I know it is a requirement for some of you to provide a website. Since I cannot "link" my own md's advice or my brother's or the books I have that site this info or the classes I've attended, I guess a link WILL have to do

http://www.fluoridedebate.com/

Last edited by miasmommy; 05-22-2009 at 06:42 AM..

Old 08-23-2010, 01:54 AM

24 posts, read 39,246 times
I see a lot of questions about fluoride and wither it is good or not. I have compiled eight pdf docs that have all the information on fluoride that you can think of. Please fell free to read them all. Now I'm not saying it is good or bad as that is up for you to decide. Take care, and wish you the best in your decisions. Don't just take one persons word, even if it is your doctor, read everything you can get your hands on to better educate yourself.

Last edited by Marka; 05-10-2013 at 04:01 AM..

Old 08-23-2010, 02:13 AM

24 posts, read 39,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
No fluoride! It is not supposed to be swallowed no matter what anyone tells you. It is NOT good for you and even worse for small children! Thank god my uncle provides us with a filter!

Funny, if you call the "nursery water" company and ask them they will tell you that you are NOT supposed to make baby bottles with it because it is unsafe for children under the age of 2! Funny how they market it that way. I called one day because I was concerned and that is what they told me.

Fluoride IS dangerous. Though they say it is "natural" you can say that about anything. High fructose corn syrup is natural, cocaine is natural, so what? Doesn't make it right. And the fluoride they put in water IS synthesized!

Brush their teeth, make sure they floss or you floss for them and limit juice and sweets and always brush after meals. Rinse with water when you can't to rinse away some bacteria.

Many many many counties across the nation have it banned in their drinking water (the adding of since there is some naturally occuring)

I know it is a requirement for some of you to provide a website. Since I cannot "link" my own md's advice or my brother's or the books I have that site this info or the classes I've attended, I guess a link WILL have to do

The Flouride Debate | Welcome to the Discussion

Nice informative site. Its good that you post something that references what you are saying. I'm in another debate on another thread where I have a bunch of people bashing me on sites and information I am backing my claims with, but they seem to fail to reference anything they are claiming.

I was at babies r us the other day with my wife and I didn't notice her pick up a bottle of this water that stated it had fluoride in it, as we needed to get a gallon of water. I always buy distilled for our child in an emergency he can not be breast feed to mix with formula. We got into a heated debate about the water as I tried to explain to her that fluoride is not good to ingest. We didn't get it as I started to cause a huge seen and embarrassed her. I showed her the information I have compiled in some pdf's. Long story short she backs my claims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting