U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2021, 08:39 AM

9,896 posts, read 4,821,546 times

Advertisements

Put your kids in better schools.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2021, 08:25 PM

11,816 posts, read 9,736,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Put your kids in better schools.
This thread began 13 years ago, so the OP's kids should be well on their way to adulthood now.

Wonder if any of them are in med. school? OP., if you're still there, how about an update?

Old 01-29-2021, 07:02 PM

453 posts, read 229,727 times
Confessions of a Miserable Math Student

I was a terrible student in this subject; still am. I recognized at a young age, though, how important it was to learn about and understand math. It also was part of every curriculum all the way up through my first three years of college. There was no Kumon back in my day but remedial math help, if that's what it is, might not have done the trick for me.

In high school we took the NYState Regents Exams. My grade was 70 for the year and a 70 on the test for geometry. So I retook the course in summer school with no other distractions. The teacher was wonderful. Still, I got a 70 in the course and a 71 on the exam.

In college, one of the requirements was statistics. I took it during the year and got a C-. I retook it (and paid to do so) over the summer and got a C.

My third year of college required a course involving permutations and combinations. Another wonderful teacher. And another C for me.

Yes, I tried. Yes, I studied. It just didn't sink in and I still count on my fingers.

I didn't give up on myself. There were other areas of great interest to me and my life wasn't a failure because I couldn't comprehend math. My point is, don't make your kid miserable over it. Help them as much as you can and encourage them in other areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting