Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 10:32 AM

1,921 posts, read 4,774,147 times

Advertisements

So you're saying, instead of keeping up with the Jonses, you really should keep up with the Changs and the Singhs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 10:33 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,975,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
My sister went to Kumon because she needed remedial help to get up to speed with the rest of the class. I actually thought that's what Kumon was for - catching up rather than getting ahead. It did help her - she's doing much better now. So she doesn't go to Kumon anymore...
Not here. The award and medal display at this particular office reads like a who's who at one the top rated school districts in the State.

Old 10-02-2008, 10:38 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,510,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
I hear you. I sympathize with that. But that's not how the game is played today.

These parents, (including myself reluctantly ) are having their kids tutored above and beyond what the schools are teaching. (Now be careful because I'm about to make a "generalization" here for our politically tender readers). These kids "in general" are going to get the slots in medical schools, the kids are going to get into the better colleges, these kids are going to get the more lucrative careers. And because your kid wasn't pushed hard enough they can fend for what's left.
Now, I am all for pushing children. I am almost a little too much for it but there comes a point in where it is more negative & damaging than productive & healthy.

Kumon is a FRANCHISE. It's about making money. Goddard School (huge deal where I live) is a FRANCHISE. It's about making money.

I have lived in Korea & visited China. You are aware they go to school on Saturday's for the entire day & that their weekly school day can come in to being close to 10 hours?

There are the very obvious pros & cons to this sort of education.

You do not have to send your child to a center like Kumon nor the current teaching fad school. You want them to know more math & science....YOU can do it for FREE in your own home & neighborhood. #1 you will be spending time with your child instead of shipping them off to yet another classroom #2 you will be able to teach your child in the manner they understand instead of having forced on them.

It's apparent to almost all common sense parents that the current US education system is beyond screwed up. The way kids are taught combined with WHAT they are taught is not up to standard or need. This does not necessarily mean that the public or private school systems in this country are not valid. They are very beneficial but they are also very messed up in many areas.

Kids need to be able to think outside the box & not to be afraid to think outside the box. THIS parents can provide.

At the same time, kids need to be able to interact with society & learn the "rules of society". The interaction they have with all different backgrounds, attitudes, personalities, etc, they get in school. Kids need to know the world does not revolve around them & that there are others out there.

Basically, you shouldn't resent having to take your kids to Kumon b/c you don't have to. My older sibling & myself were both accepted into medical schools. Ironically, neither of us followed that path upon undergrad graduation.

And how wonderful that the US society ALLOWS for that FREEDOM. My parents wanted us to be ethical, responsible & compassionate. How we paid our bills was our decision

Old 10-02-2008, 10:40 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,510,271 times
Quote:
Not here. The award and medal display at this particular office reads like a who's who at one the top rated school districts in the State.
FRANCHISE.

The appearance gets the check signed.

Old 10-02-2008, 12:16 PM

650 posts, read 2,179,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalkr View Post
So you're saying, instead of keeping up with the Jonses, you really should keep up with the Changs and the Singhs?
Well, I guess if you can't beat 'em, join 'em!

This original post is absurd! You don't HAVE to send them to Kumon, you CHOOSE to! Why do you care what other people are doing?

Old 10-02-2008, 12:18 PM

464 posts, read 314,253 times
Quote:
...So I wander in to the Kumon office in my nearly all white section of town and low and behold there are nearly all Indians and Chinese parents in here?
The gig is up you Asian parents! xD
You've been ratted out. Henceforth, all of your competitive advantages are over.

Also, this is probably just me, but I would prefer a (White or Asian or Black or whatever) kid taking Kumon over a kid taking drugs, vadalizing, stealing, and causing overall mischief any day of the week.

Old 10-02-2008, 12:22 PM

697 posts, read 2,014,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girlsand2boys View Post

This original post is absurd! You don't HAVE to send them to Kumon, you CHOOSE to! Why do you care what other people are doing?
Well, if you want your children to grow up to be doctors or engineers in a super competitive world, and get their degree from a super competitive top college, the OP is saying you have to beat the Asians and get your children into Kumon, because that's what the Asians do.

At least that's what it sounded like to me.

Old 10-02-2008, 12:26 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,451,252 times
Let me take it back a bit. I'm coming from the same college-driven mentality, too. Akin to the Chinese and Indian. You were not given an option to chose what you liked to do. No options given, and that was that. You have to go to a university to amount to anything. Not to get just any meandering Arts degree but the best in potential earnings and status - be it programming, medical, or legal. In my time it was all about programming, but now it's about medicine.

People in China and India are conditioned to strive. They live exactly like you see it on TV - very crowded. Every college space, every good job has hundreds and thousands of potential applicants. They drink it with their mother's milk - to get chosen from a thousand, you must be the best. To be the best, you must start the best - try to be the best student in school, try to win competitions.

They come to North America and first, they see room. Lots of room space so people don't elbow each other. When this shock wears off, they see that the competition to get a space in a college is so much less harsh than in their native countries. There is a real chance for them to become not just a doctor, but an American doctor. They would be fools not to take this opportunity.

They bring with them their survival study habits, too. They study as if they still have thousands to beat. The second or third Chinese generation will get softer, Americanish. But the first wave can seem impossible to the Americans.

And you know what. When I see a Chinese pediatric cardiologist (they tend to take the hardest specializations, too) - my confidence level goes higher - because I know that he studied since he was a child, not played soccer.

Not that playing soccer is bad. The American education system is much more liberal and probably is better in developing well-rounded individuals. Downsides exist in both - a one-goal driven person might regret it later, and a person with too many choices might spend decades searching what exactly he wants to do.

Old 10-02-2008, 12:27 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,975,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girlsand2boys View Post

Give me a break. Have you ever done something you were torn about doing?

I can say I'm having to diet to get ready for my High School reunion and that means I'm saying I must diet???

You think pointing out that I do have a choice of whether or not send my kids to Kumon is some profound insight you came up with??

Of course I have a choice. Every thing written is not meant to be taken literally.

It's known as "figure of speech." Come to think of it you could use some Kumon lessons.

Old 10-02-2008, 12:47 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,304,113 times
Quote:
I hear you. I sympathize with that. But that's not how the game is played today.

These parents, (including myself reluctantly ) are having their kids tutored above and beyond what the schools are teaching. (Now be careful because I'm about to make a "generalization" here for our politically tender readers). These kids "in general" are going to get the slots in medical schools, the kids are going to get into the better colleges, these kids are going to get the more lucrative careers. And because your kid wasn't pushed hard enough they can fend for what's left.
Again, I can only say "maybe" you are correct. I fear some poor kids that have been pushed to hard my turn out to be psych cases! Or worse yet cause harm to themselves being raised so harshly to be the best and to beat that competition.
What about what your kids may want from life? Is this what you want for them or what they want? Sure I believe in a good rounded education but I also believe in living. I am only stating my personal opinion--not necessairly right or wrong--it's how I feel!
Perhaps I was lucky..both of my kids are now grown. They are both doing quite well in their adult lives. They are a competitve--a healthy competitve! I guided them but did not force them to go into a line of work they did not choose. They don't want for anything and work good jobs. They are happy!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting