U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 04:56 PM

697 posts, read 1,878,453 times

Advertisements

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
But I no choice unless you want them relegated to a mundane career.
Now, which is it? Here you say you have no choice, and in another post, you say of course you have a choice.

But then, maybe you're saying that if one isn't Asian, they are destined to a 'mundane career'....

I'm confused...

Quote:
You can just forget your kids going to medical school or being an engineer with these folks around.

Push, push, push. Survival of the fittest.[/
There are LOTS of doctors and engineers who aren't Asian, so my thinking is that LOTS of people get into good colleges to BECOME good doctors and engineers and they're not Asian.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 05:01 PM

Quote:
But I no choice unless you want them relegated to a mundane career.
Quote:

Of course I have a choice.
Ok, I don't know how I managed that, but:

WHICH IS IT??? Yes you do, or no you don't?

Old 10-02-2008, 05:15 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,162,304 times
I just have to say.... I have TWO Asian children and I have no idea what Kumon is???

Old 10-02-2008, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
I just have to say.... I have TWO Asian children and I have no idea what Kumon is???
You need to find out quick ! ! ! Every minute counts ! ! !

Old 10-02-2008, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Acutally, Kumon is a learning method for reading and math. It moves very quickly and is extremely repetitive, which is how it's supposed to work. If you know what the method is, you can do it yourself at home it won't cost you an arm and a leg.

Touble with it is; if the child should stop going, they also stop remembering what they have 'learned'. There's not much retention.

Old 10-02-2008, 06:41 PM

650 posts, read 2,035,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 925mine View Post
Ok, I don't know how I managed that, but:

WHICH IS IT??? Yes you do, or no you don't?
Yeah, and the OP thinks that I need Kumon!

Old 10-02-2008, 07:04 PM

5,978 posts, read 18,339,243 times
Padcrasher - I can certainly see you being torn in considering to send your child to Kumon to be competitive. I understand your point and nuala's and 121804's understanding of the Asian culture is fairly accurate. Thing is, most of these Asian children are around Asian parents whose influence is very strong on children, much stronget than their friends. Your children on the other hand will most likely be influenced by their friends so you would also be fighting that influence. I agree with the other posters that you have first to develop that mindset in your kids, provide the extra boost with help at home rather than sticking them in an environment that might be truly foreign to them. As an Asian parent married to a non-Asian husband, I find that the extent by which we invidually push our children academically is different. I augment the education they get from school with extra and advanced concepts at home. My experience is that they actually feel good about being ahead of the game. We just constantly reinforce the importance of choosing a career that would be a healthy compromise between what they would enjoy and what they would need to maintain the lifestyle that they are used to now when Mommy and Daddy are no longer available to provide that for them.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:10 PM

4,347 posts, read 8,650,545 times
Quote:
I have an asian grandchild and I have no idea either....a special school for asians or what?

Old 10-02-2008, 07:11 PM

4,347 posts, read 8,650,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 925mine View Post
Acutally, Kumon is a learning method for reading and math. It moves very quickly and is extremely repetitive, which is how it's supposed to work. If you know what the method is, you can do it yourself at home it won't cost you an arm and a leg.

Touble with it is; if the child should stop going, they also stop remembering what they have 'learned'. There's not much retention.
Like the Evelyn Wood reading dynamics program? Is it in schools or you buy the books and do it at home. Sorry this is foreign to me

Old 10-02-2008, 07:13 PM

3,663 posts, read 7,979,014 times
I have never heard of kumon and my fifth grade son has been doing math a few grade levels above his current grade for three years now. So I don't think kumon is going to make or break most kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting