Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 09:05 PM

697 posts, read 2,015,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Great. Feel as uncomfortable as you may with little boys in a bathroom. Sounds like you have the issue

No, you can't be disagreed with b/c you are perfect..lest we forget!
We're not talking about LITTLE boys. We're talking about boys who are 8 and older. That's too old.

What is your problem?? Are we not allowed to disagree with you or something? You get so hostile.

I think it's wrong. You think it's right. Trouble is, I'm not the one taking an 8 or 10 year old boy into the women's restroom. I belong in there. He doesn't.

Old 10-06-2008, 09:12 PM

797 posts, read 2,992,331 times
If it's a question of SAFETY each parent must judge for themselves if their child is ready to defend himself if needed. Age is irrelevant IMO because COMFORT does NOT take priority over SAFETY. It is appropriate however to maintain common courtesy when taking an older boy into the womens restroom and teach your child to respect the privacy of the other women. Regardless there are local laws protecting the privacy of each gender and as a parent you should find out what they are and do your best to abide by them.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:05 PM

952 posts, read 3,706,179 times
Quote:
This is & always has been a concern to me. I was living in SOCAL when a 9yr old boy went into a beach bathroom while his mom stood outside the door. He never came out. It was a sick story.

Ever since that time, I just don't know. As a grown adult, I always look in the stalls if the bathroom is empty, etc. I have boys, so up until they are able to truly go in & "somewhat" protect themselves...I see this as 13-14yrs of age.

Some Targets & big box stores have unisex bathrooms & all the malls in our areas have Family Bathrooms. I plan on using those are long as possible, which, to me, is about 13-14 yrs of age.

Eh, I can't picture a 14 old teenage boy having his mom with him in the bathroom. And I can't picture any women wanting a 14 year old teenage boy in the womens bathroom.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:13 PM

952 posts, read 3,706,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
As soon as your kid is UNCOMFORTABLE with YOU hanging around while he goes to the bathroom, you should really quit!

God, you people are going to give the kid a complex!

Thank You!!

Old 10-06-2008, 11:07 PM

1,841 posts, read 3,173,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 925mine View Post
I would have a problem with a boy anywhere over the age of 8 in a women's restroom. That's just the way it is. Because maybe a couple people in there wouldn't mind, I have been in a restroom when boys of 8 or 9 have been taken in by their mother's and believe me, it was uncomfortable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 925mine View Post
The way it is or simply your point of view? If that is the way it is then there would be a law now wouldn't there? and yes there is more than a couple that would not mind especially mothers because they would know the reason behind it!

So, if you don't mind taking him in the women's restroom, why do you mind taking him into the men's where it is appropriate for him?
I have no issue in taking him to the boys room but why do this when I can take him into the women's? And stay there until he is done? I am not going to stand there and stay and watch men urinate (BTW URINALS DO NOT HAVE STALLS OR DOORS)

Either YOU would be uncomfortable, or you're afraid of making the men who would be in there uncomfortable.
You tell me...A) Take your son into the womens bathroom knowing that there are stalls with doors or B) Standing in the mens bathroom as their penis's are hanging out for the world to see? Are you really this dense? OR failing to make a point?
You don't seem to mind making other women uncomfortable.
First of all these are young children I am speaking of 10 and under remember? Keep up. They have not even hit puberty yet and furthermore you are behind closed doors, so whats your point?

Quote:
I could care less what makes SOMEONE ELSE "comfortable" when it comes to the common sense safety of my children.

I've seen many moms come in with the whole boatload of kids & loudly announce that there were boys in the restroom. And I've seen a dad bring in his daughter in an airport bathroom & he did the same thing.

I didn't run to management whining that I was "uncomfortable" with another parent's decision that has little to NO impact on me.

It's b/w your child & you. No one else matters in this situation.
Well stated! I have seen the same many times and I have yet for any woman to make a stink about it let alone give a look.

[quote=925mine;5580325]We're not talking about LITTLE boys. We're talking about boys who are 8 and older. That's too old.

What is your problem?? Are we not allowed to disagree with you or something? You get so hostile.

I think it's wrong. You think it's right. Trouble is, I'm not the one taking an 8 or 10 year old boy into the women's restroom. I belong in there. He doesn't.[/quote]
The only person whom has gotten hostile is you.
Reality is you can ***** and whine about it till you are blue in the face but mothers will still be taking there boys in the bathroom for the obvious reasons SAFETY!
I am a woman as well and a mother also and I never complain because I understand the jist.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:40 AM

841 posts, read 4,839,976 times
Wow, I am the OP and I never thought that this question would trigger so much open hostility.
The reason for my posting is because I have two young boys (ages 6 and 5). I've always taken my boys in the women's restroom with me. I don't trust men's restrooms AT ALL.
Last week I took my 6 year old into a restaurant restroom and for the first time, I could see there was woman who was a little startled or put off. She didn't verbalize her displeasure, but I could sense from her facial expression her distaste when my six year old exited the stall. So that got me thinking about this question.
Basically, my thought is until men stand up for children's rights and make a stink about pedophillia, it is going to have to be women who put up with boys using women's restrooms. I do not hear or see enough men standing up for victim's rights or children's rights. It's always women doing this very important job.
I appreciate the 'family restroom' concept, but they are few and far between.
I don't think there is a magical age for a boy to the men's restroom, but in the name of safety, I would feel better if my sons could physically defend themselves. I don't know what age this will be.
Let's please stop the hostility and get back on track. This is an important subject to me, and obviously to a lot of other posters.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:53 AM

705 posts, read 1,759,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers19 View Post
Basically, my thought is until men stand up for children's rights and make a stink about pedophillia, it is going to have to be women who put up with boys using women's restrooms. I do not hear or see enough men standing up for victim's rights or children's rights. It's always women doing this very important job.
Amen to that!

Old 10-07-2008, 05:37 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,453,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
So you *would* be less bothered by the presence of an adult man in the ladies room than of a young boy.
Ha ha. Good one!

Old 10-07-2008, 07:28 PM

697 posts, read 2,015,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
So you *would* be less bothered by the presence of an adult man in the ladies room than of a young boy.
I would be more comfortable with a man standing at the door inside a woman's restroom waiting for his daughter than a boy of 8 or 10 or older walking through past the doors of the stalls while I'm in one.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:15 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,512,087 times
Hopefully, those with the right intentions on this forum saw Bibit's post.

The OP mentioned a very good point in that it's a very hard position to be in when you have boys b/c you are not sure when they are physically capable of defending themselves from a pedophile. It's very frightening to sometimes "let go" in such a situation b/c you are not sure who is in that bathroom. Of course, parents explain & talk to their children about such incidents, but it still can happen.

I have no problem letting my son use the public bathroom when he is physically capable of getting away from a pedophile. Until that time, I don't care what others think & actually, I've never run into a person who would stare in disguist when a boy is in a women's bathroom. Most real parents are understanding of why a mother would have her child with her. And some 8 yr olds look 13 & some 13 yr olds look 10....so, unless you want an armed guard checking id's at every bathroom, realize that safety is the main issue & concern, not your level of comfort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.