Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 06:43 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,755,798 times

Advertisements

When I had my IUD (between kids #2 and #3)... I was told that it was for woman who had already given birth because the uterus is stretched out a bit and more relaxed. This means that it's easier to insert and far less likely to be expelled by the body. The one I had was one of the "new" Mirena ones that were made if hormone-infused plastic (before that, they were made of copper?).

I, personally, would not encourage my teen daugther to have one. The reasons being: I had terrible cramps because my body was trying to expel the foreign object - these lasted for several months and gradually subsided. I had recurrent uterine infections - after the 3rd one, the Dr. told me to have it removed or be done having kids because I was building scar tissue in my fallopian tubes. I had it removed because we already knew we wanted another child someday. Now, 12 years later, every-other month is very painful as I try to ovulate on my left side due to the scar tissue.

My daughter recently went on birth control, and an IUD was never even considered... nor was it brought up by the Dr. as an option. I understand that my experiences were not the norm, but there are so many other options for birth-control for teens... that I would not encourage my daughter to get one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 11:12 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
I don't think it should be outlawed, or anything. It should be decided by the girl and her doctor. It sounds like there are reasons it is not recommended for teens. It would be the doc's job to let the patient know that and/or refuse to prescribe that method for a teen.

Old 07-03-2010, 10:51 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
It wouldn't me my first choice, I would always be worried about something going wrong but that's just me.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:41 PM

2 posts, read 1,523 times
I'm 16 and I recently had an IUD inserted. I regret it because my parents are not the kind of parents I could tell that to. I'm having trouble finding my strings and I have never felt so alone. I have no one to tell, and no one to give me advice on this. I'm going to try to sneak over to the teen clinic tomorrow but I hate doing all of this behind my parents back. Teens should not even be offered these kinds of things. I made a huge mistake.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catiebanana11 View Post
I'm 16 and I recently had an IUD inserted. I regret it because my parents are not the kind of parents I could tell that to. I'm having trouble finding my strings and I have never felt so alone. I have no one to tell, and no one to give me advice on this. I'm going to try to sneak over to the teen clinic tomorrow but I hate doing all of this behind my parents back. Teens should not even be offered these kinds of things. I made a huge mistake.
just curious - do you think you'd feel any different if it were BC pills or condoms, or some other method?

Old 06-22-2011, 10:11 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
I don't think it should be outlawed and I agree that the decision over proper contraception should be discussed by parents, the teen and medical professionals. Personally I'm not opposed to the idea for my daughters, but I think that other options would be preferable given the risks.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:38 AM

179 posts, read 516,682 times
When I was in my early 20's I asked a doctor about getting an IUD. I was told that they only give them to women after they have had 1 child. I believe they are worried about malpractice if something happens that causes a women to be infertile.

After I had my first child I did finally get an IUD. It was more painful to have it inserted than childbirth. They had to dialate my cervix to get it in and that was soooo painful. After I had my 2nd child I told the doctor that if he had to dialate my cervix then I was not getting it. Luckily, after having two kids it was opened enough that it was not necessary.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:08 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,123,645 times
In my ideal world, teens would not be allowed to contracept nor have sex before marriage.

Also, in addition to being a contraceptive, the IUD is also probably an abortifacient. This means that it allows conception to take place but prevents implantation of the fertilized ovum, which is a human being at the earliest stage of life.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:10 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
In my ideal world, teens would not be allowed to contracept nor have sex before marriage.

Also, in addition to being a contraceptive, the IUD is also probably an abortifacient. This means that it allows conception to take place but prevents implantation of the fertilized ovum, which is a human being at the earliest stage of life.
Teens have very strong sex drives yet marriage is frowned upon for many more years. I don't think that's ideal unless ideally you want to change biology too

Old 06-24-2011, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post

too bad for you we don't live in an ideal world! I think it helps to use a realistic view of the world when raising your kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting