U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 03:27 AM

35,319 posts, read 44,602,116 times

Advertisements

My parents moved a lot when i was growing up and they moved in the middle of the school year just about every year i can remember being in school,although i eventually finished high school with mediocre marks to this day i have a big phobia about interacting with groups and i also have problems maintaining friendships for more than a year.
I've not made the same mistake with my kids and they are happily doing their entire schooling from the same house from kindergarten to university.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 12:25 AM

1 posts, read 1,671 times
I'm in high school, about to be a sophomore, and I've lived in texas for almost six years.
My mom just told us we'd be moving in two weeks, due to my stepdad's Army stuff. Can you give me any tips on coping with this? The school year for my new school just started and my "Old school" starts in three weeks.
I have really great friends here, and I am "quite strange" to people who don't know me.
I'm afraid my strangeness that all my friends have gotten used to, will be a friend-block for new ones.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:18 AM

4,279 posts, read 5,412,015 times
I went to four different high schools (three school districts) with two mid-year changes. Well, they were both in October. Switching in my junior year wasn't a problem at all. All of my classes were the same. My senior year was different, though. That school district had some extra requirements that my previous two districts didn't have. At my first district only a quarter of health was taken, but at the last high school a semester had to be taken. The one that would have killed me had I switched just a bit later was the requirement of a geography class. It was a year long course, and they almost wouldn't put me in it because "it was late." I wouldn't have been able to graduate had that happened.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:54 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,874,070 times
I think kids like stability and I think that moving them can be hard. Making friends can be tough and leaving friends can be really sad too.

So perhaps she could move in with a friend to see out the school year.

If you are likely to move again, then consider boarding school. That would give her stability. I know it may sound way out but I was in the UK a couple of weeks ago and boarding schools are still amazingly popular. They are no longer the fearsome places of old. It seems that most of the kids really enjoy it and want to go. Especially city kids who go to boarding houses in the country side. They get to do all sorts of things that they would never get to do in the city. Horse riding being a very popular draw card. Also one school even offered gun club shooting and motor cycle riding (both supervised of course). Sounded more like a summer camp to me.

Finally another option is to consider a year living with a family in another country. I have a friend who spent a year at high school in the USA living with an aunt. Another person I know spent some time (I think 2 years) in Germany.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting