Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 01:04 PM

69 posts, read 110,259 times

Advertisements

I'm having so much trouble potty training my son. I've been working on it with im for almost a year, and he just doesn't seem interested in it. He's three now, and the diapers are starting to get small. I just have no idea what to do with him about it. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 01:09 PM

556 posts, read 798,148 times
There are lots of different ways. If you've been trying for a year my first suggestion would be to stop trying for a couple weeks.

When you restart just put him in underwear, no diapers, no pull ups. Have him go sit on the potty for a few minutes every 30 minutes and each time he actually does business make a big deal and give him a treat (m&Ms, stickers, whatever he likes). When he has accidents in the unders while you clean him up just explain that he needs to go to the potty and going in your unders is sooo yucky. Also, I'd get some underwear in his favorite colors and charactors and some plain old white. If he has an accident that isn't really accidental (like you told him to go in the potty and he refused etc) I would clean him up and put the white unders on telling him that "Optimus Prime (or whatever the other unders were) doesn't like being pooped and peed an and he can't wear them unless he's going to go to the potty.

Old 08-01-2010, 01:55 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,692,355 times
There are a million threads already with tons of opinions. Do a search and save us this argument again.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:34 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Two years of age was too young to start and maybe be one reason he's having problems. I would just find larger diapers for now, back off this issue for a couple months and look for signs he's ready before readdressing it.

Old 08-01-2010, 03:05 PM

Thanks kel6604 & malamute!!

Sorry for re-asking questions about this topic. I'm still learning this forum a bit, and I couldn't find anything that I thought would be useful or work in the other threads.

Old 08-01-2010, 03:09 PM

1,942 posts, read 8,490,195 times
I hate searching too, even though I know that I probably should do it. I started after 2, with each of my children, so that they would be potty trained by 3. So I took it slow. I put their little potty where we mostly were-in the living room, so that they wouldn't have to walk far, and the big toliet wouldn't be intimidating. I put special toys/books there that he couldn't touch because they were potty toys/books and could only be used there. At some times, when he would be getting changed from a bath, or just getting dressed, and I know that he hadn't gone to the bathroom yet, I would let him go naked for a little bit. Little kids definitely don't like to pee all over themselves, especially without the diapers. So then he would run to the potty.

Then I would let him wear big boy underwear for a little bit, and then put the diapers back on. Do it in stages.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:52 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,335,648 times
I am having the same problem as you. My daughter is 2 yrs 8 months and still in diapers and they are getting small as well. I don't have any advice. I just wanted to let you know you are not alone.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
There are a million threads already with tons of opinions. Do a search and save us this argument again.

Aren't you being kind of harsh? For goodness sakes she is just asking for advice. Your kids are older so you must have forgotten how frustrating this can be. She is just looking for advice. If you don't like the subject why read about it

Last edited by KylieEve; 08-01-2010 at 07:54 PM.. Reason: .

Old 08-01-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
I am having the same problem as you. My daughter is 2 yrs 8 months and still in diapers and they are getting small as well. I don't have any advice. I just wanted to let you know you are not alone.
Thanks lisalan! It's great knowing I'm not the only one with the issue. Both of my nieces are potty trained already, and I work so it's hard to spend all day on it with my son. All the issues I'm having with potty training is making my best friend (who has a 3 month old) pretty nervous about it.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephxcouture View Post
Thanks lisalan! It's great knowing I'm not the only one with the issue. Both of my nieces are potty trained already, and I work so it's hard to spend all day on it with my son. All the issues I'm having with potty training is making my best friend (who has a 3 month old) pretty nervous about it.

No problem. My son was potty trained before he was 3 but my daughter is just not getting it. They need to be able to tell us when they have to pee. I don't know how to get my daughter to tell me she has to pee before she peesHopefully someone here has an answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting