Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Need parenting advice dealing with newly diagnosed 6 year old son, afraid of needles, mom losing patience, son not wanting injections, type 1 diabetes

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 11:44 PM

515 posts, read 1,557,449 times

Advertisements

Wow, what a week. We just found out that our youngest is a type 1 diabetic. We are now on a regimen of finger sticks, documenting everything he eats, and of course, 4 (or more) insulin injections a day.

It is so hard for him to understand what's going on, and why. And he's terrified of needles, to boot. He's really been a trooper. We got the diagnosis on Wednesday, and came home from the hospital Friday afternoon. He's just now really beginning to ask questions. It's so hard for me to keep my cool when he's supposed to have his injections within 30 minutes of eating, and I'm still "negotiating" with him an hour later. I know he' s afraid. He keeps telling me he's afraid of all the needles. I keep telling him that it's okay to be afraid, but that he needs to be brave, and that he could be very sick and back in the hospital if he doesn't get his shot/glucose check.

They told us at the hospital that "nothing's changed, he's still the same." It's in all the "how to cope" literature, too. He's the same, but in radically different circumstances. He's super sensitive anyway... How do I keep from losing my cool with him? Any suggestions? I expected to have more trouble with the shot thing. I'm just afraid more than anything else that I'm going to ley down and let him walk on me, because I'm the one who has to hold the needles and lancets 8-10 times a day. DH has no problem sitting on him, but he also does not give the injections, etc.

He's doing famously, by the way, feeling, acting and looking a lot more like himself. He really is dealing with this very well. Hopefully, he'll go back to school Tuesday, Wednesday on the outside. He's definitely still the same kid, so why I do feel so different?

~D

Last edited by jtjmom; 10-11-2008 at 11:46 PM.. Reason: I gotta learn to proofread BEFORE I post...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2008, 06:22 AM

603 posts, read 2,339,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjmom View Post
He's definitely still the same kid, so why I do feel so different?

~D
Because he is not the only one who got hit with the diagnosis. You did, too. Last week you had a healthy child. This week you have a child who has a regimented medication and diet and who can end up back in the hospital. In addition, you probably feel a tad guilty that you're having to put needles in a kid that is scared of them. My principal has the saying, "Fake it until you make it". Keep pretending that he is the same normal kid and he will be. Take care.

Old 10-12-2008, 10:00 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,369,958 times
Are there any support groups for you and/or your son? I would recommend this, being around others who understand can really help both of you.

Try to be sensitive, yet straight forward when it is time for the shots. If you act like you feel guilty about it, it doesn't help anyone. I know - easier said than done!

I wish you luck! I know this is a very hard time for you, but you will make it!

Old 10-12-2008, 11:32 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,611,753 times
My husband is diabetic, though he doesn't need insulin and the best thing he did was to attend a class offered by the experts. So, I recommend you do that and take it as soon as you can. Not only will you get information, you will get lots of support. I also attended one while pregnant with my 5 yr old son as I had gestational diabetes.

This will guide you in the best meal plan to follow for your son in order to keep his levels balanced, which is the goal.

One of the next things that comes to mind is a friend whose son was diagnosed at 5 days old and as soon as it became available he was given an insulin pump. That eliminates the need for shots from needles as the pump dispenses the insulin via basically a port. Sure you all will have to learn about it and get used to it, but in the long run it would be well worth it!

The next thing is to let him be in charge of the testing. He can absolutely do this himself (with supervision of course) and perhaps it would let him feel more in control. Also, there are far more places he can test than on his fingers too, with the right models, so do some research there and see if what you are currently using allows for the variety and if not, perhaps get a change.

It will get easier.....and at times more difficult than it is now. Just remember the goal is to keep him on an even keel in order to keep his health in top order and that is far more important than his fighting you on this issue right now.

Old 10-13-2008, 05:23 PM

515 posts, read 1,557,449 times
Thank you all so much for your replies! It's good to know that I'm diong the right thing... I'm being honest with him about shot time, which shots he is getting (there is more than one, and one hurts more than the other), and when it's time to test. So far, he won't let me test anywhere but his fingers, even though we do have a meter which allows for testing at alternate sites.

As each day goes by, he is getting better about all the needles. He tells me he's scared, and I tell him that it's ok to be scared, because I'm scared, too. But I'm scared of what might happen to him if he does not get his insulin, so he needs to be brave.

Today, I realize that I'm faced with another challenge... I was going to go out of town with one of my older children this Friday, but if I do, who will give him his shots and check his sugars? His dad hasn't done it yet, but I guess a week ago, I hadn't, either. I just may have to stay home... I've been trying to foster his independence from me a little bit. Sometimes, I guess God has other plans.. LOL

Thanks so much for the support, everyone! I'll keep you posted.

~D

Old 10-13-2008, 06:03 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,369,958 times
Dad needs to start doing the testing and shots, too. And as hard as it is for you to leave someone else in charge of it, you have to. Your other kids still need time with you!

Good luck!

Old 10-13-2008, 08:40 PM

114 posts, read 486,180 times
I'm coming from a different angle. I was six months old when my sister was Dx with type 1 at age 2. I never knew any different. by age 2 I was able to tell if she was having a reaction. Having a mom who is a nurse and a Dad who is a DR. we had a better understanding of what is going on.

Really don't treat him differently. Also I know that my sister really Benefited from A diabetic camp. they teach how to give shots and be around other kids with same thing. Thin gs are a lot eaiser now the yesteryear. A rule of thumb as long as you compenstate for what he eats, he should be fine. find all lit you can. Also, it;s a kittke unorthodoxed, but, my dad has his newly Dx patients have a low bloodsugar and high blood sugar reaction IN the hospital. This way 1. it is an strict setting with medical help available and 2. you your family and most of all your son will know what it feelsl ike to have a reaction. Everyone is different. know if he is getting low will help tell you that he needs something.

good luck. He'll be fine. Take one day at a time. My sister has had type 1 for 34 years and all she has for complications is slight nueropathy due to 34 years of finger pricks. keep the faith

Old 10-13-2008, 11:17 PM

112 posts, read 320,427 times
My best friend's younger brother is diabetic.
He's like.. fourteen now, or so. I'm not sure; I don't know him that well.
Along with his chore list, his dad had written, "Check Blood Sugar," and then leaves a space for the levels on the chart. Your son may be too young to test himself, but it may be helpful to write it down, and helps keep track of when blood sugar is high or low, during the day/week/month, etc.
Hope it helps, even a little. XD

Old 10-14-2008, 06:28 AM

168 posts, read 672,401 times
There has to be a support group around, and also a learning group for him so he can listen and learn with other kids who have the same problem. They have it for hemophiliacs, so I know they do for diabetic children. Ask Health and Human Services in your community. They'll know a program, I'm sure.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:24 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,493,390 times
I am T1... diagnosed at age 20 in college. And when I started taking insulin shots and testing my blood sugar, I certainly was afraid of needles, too! So I think your six year old is doing great so far. The diagnosis is very new to everyone in your family, and will require some adjustments. But having diabetes isn't the end of the world... it's just a different way of living!

May I make two suggestions to you?

1. Please get your husband more involved in your son's care. I don't think it is very healthy for you to be the only one responsible for your son's diet and medications. It's not right for you to not be able to travel with your other children when need be because you're the only one who knows the ins and outs of your son's requirements. Sharing knowledge and responsibility with your husband will only make you son's care easier for everyone.

2. Have you contacted the American Diabetes Association yet? They are a great resource for patients and families. They may be able to refer you to support groups for parents with young children who have diabetes. Perhaps they can also help your son get to know other children who have this condition. Even if he doesn't want to do a lot of talking, it might be helpful for him to be able to listen to other folks' stories about their experiences.

Keep your chin up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting