U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2008, 07:18 AM

603 posts, read 2,235,587 times

Advertisements

I just finished reading the book "The Nanny Diaries" and I loved it. I haven't seen the movie yet but it looks good. Has anyone been a nanny and did some of the scenes in the movie ring true? I befriended a nanny whose charge went to my son's preschool and she had many similar experiences. I really felt for her-the family was so mean to her. I know not all families who hire nannies are like the one in the book but I'd love to hear your colorful stories working as a nanny.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2008, 02:21 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,457,030 times
Oooh--I hated the Nanny Diaries! Well, not really. It was written very well and was a compelling read, but the ending just made me sick! I haven't seen the movie because I still get a pit in my stomach when I think of the book.

Old 10-12-2008, 02:44 PM

603 posts, read 2,235,587 times
I was disappointed with the ending, too! The rest of the book I loved, though.

Old 10-14-2008, 06:28 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,227,767 times
Loved the book - even the ending. While the ending sucked..it was realistic, what do you think would happen in real life? Do you think the evil witchy mom and miserable dad would suddenly become nice and care about the kid? I think not.

I have not seen the movie yet because I heard it stunk and was not as good as the book, but I'm sure I'll watch it on Cable sometime.

You may like Admissions by Nancy Lieberman as well.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:18 AM

5,039 posts, read 4,992,810 times
I was a nanny. I did read it and liked it as I could identify with some of it. Some of the children were excellent and well behaved. The nicer children were always those who the parents always took the nanny's word and didnt question and also trusted the nanny fully. 22 years later I am still in regular contact with two of the parents of the children I looked after.
My first job in Canada was horrendous ; I even had to get up at 6am to make the parents lunches so they could take them to work. Then i worked a full weekend non stop so the parents could go to NY for the weekend ; did I get paid ; nope ;not one dime.

The hardest thing I ever heard was one boy who was about 5, clinging to his mummy saying ; can you stay in just one night, please just one night!! That still sticks in my gut. Just one night!!

d

Old 10-16-2008, 11:13 AM

5,340 posts, read 13,227,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
I was a nanny. I did read it and liked it as I could identify with some of it. Some of the children were excellent and well behaved. The nicer children were always those who the parents always took the nanny's word and didnt question and also trusted the nanny fully. 22 years later I am still in regular contact with two of the parents of the children I looked after.
My first job in Canada was horrendous ; I even had to get up at 6am to make the parents lunches so they could take them to work. Then i worked a full weekend non stop so the parents could go to NY for the weekend ; did I get paid ; nope ;not one dime.

The hardest thing I ever heard was one boy who was about 5, clinging to his mummy saying ; can you stay in just one night, please just one night!! That still sticks in my gut. Just one night!!

d
How awful.

I had a friend who was a PT Nanny for a family in a neighboring town. They had a full time live in Nanny who worked 5:00 AM Monday thorugh 6:00 AM Saturday. My friend worked for the family from 8:00 am through 8:00 PM on Sat & Sunday. The kid never saw his parents, my friend quit after a rough year and the little boy BEGGED her to stay because he needed someone to love him. HOW AWFUL. She asked the MOm if she could still visit...what do you think she said?

Old 10-16-2008, 11:32 AM

13,178 posts, read 26,730,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
How awful.

I had a friend who was a PT Nanny for a family in a neighboring town. They had a full time live in Nanny who worked 5:00 AM Monday thorugh 6:00 AM Saturday. My friend worked for the family from 8:00 am through 8:00 PM on Sat & Sunday. The kid never saw his parents, my friend quit after a rough year and the little boy BEGGED her to stay because he needed someone to love him. HOW AWFUL. She asked the MOm if she could still visit...what do you think she said?
Why do people like that even have kids?? What's the point??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting