U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-10-2010, 06:28 PM
 
Location: Denver 'burbs
23,597 posts, read 25,844,117 times
Reputation: 40390

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
I only did that once or twice....but in the end really what could my parents really do?
Trust me. I'd be able to do something.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-10-2010, 06:30 PM
 
Location: maryland
3,966 posts, read 6,406,654 times
Reputation: 1729
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Trust me. I'd be able to do something.
LOL a lot of parents can to be honest. But i paid for pretty much all my stuff with my own money, so it's not like they could take anything away :-P.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2010, 06:38 PM
 
1,302 posts, read 1,689,114 times
Reputation: 1934
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
LOL a lot of parents can to be honest. But i paid for pretty much all my stuff with my own money, so it's not like they could take anything away :-P.
My youngest bought his own tv when he was 15. I told him to turn it off and get outside and mow the lawn and he said No, I'll do it later.

I launched it down the cellar stairs and then told him he could clean up the glass and then go mow the lawn. You buying it would not have made a difference.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2010, 06:41 PM
 
Location: Denver 'burbs
23,597 posts, read 25,844,117 times
Reputation: 40390
I can't imagine EVER (in a million years) telling my parents to basically shove it. It would not have been in the realm of my imagination. Thus far it hasn't come up with my own kids. No matter how unhappy they might be with my decision on something.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2010, 07:29 PM
 
Location: Western Washington
8,003 posts, read 10,918,801 times
Reputation: 19511
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
And i would have laughed right at my mother and told her where to stick it basically . And yes children are supposed to contribute, but requiring a tax for your child is a bit ridiculous.
Ah yes.....and it's here where I would have had a good talk with my kids about where the door was and how there were several heavy-duty 33 gallon trash bags for them to put their clothing and ipod in, cuz everything else belongs to the owners of the house......and "That's ONE....a gimmee...you EVER tell me to stick ANYTHING in my a$$ again, you're GONE!" Also, I'm with LM.....I don't care if you bought it....you talk to me like that, it's going to cost you SOMETHING! Actually, I wouldn't have broken the TV that my child bought.....however, since I pay the electric and cable bill, necessary to operate said TV set....well yeah, you get the picture! Also....MY house, you bought it and I don't want it in the house I pay for...you better find somewhere else to store it! Some of us are damn serious when it comes to being the head of the house. We're much smarter and much more resourceful AND we know our rights!

Last edited by beachmel; 11-10-2010 at 07:38 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2010, 07:37 PM
 
Location: In a house
13,251 posts, read 40,174,609 times
Reputation: 20198
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
I don't see how that logic makes any sense to be honest. If a child is making an effort what does it hurt to help them get on their feet? I would never dream of charging my children rent as long as they were working hard towards a goal.
Helping them on their feet = allowing them to keep the room they grew up with, not requiring that they move out and rent their own apartment or risk moving in with strangers as roommates.

Helping them on their feet = allowing them to contribute a couple hundred bucks a month to the household expenses INSTEAD of paying first, last, and security deposit, paying for furniture, PLUS the month's rent...

Helping your kids on their feet = helping them learn how to NOT need you anymore.

Helping your kids on their feet != enabling them to remain dependent.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2010, 07:43 PM
 
Location: Western Washington
8,003 posts, read 10,918,801 times
Reputation: 19511
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Helping them on their feet = allowing them to keep the room they grew up with, not requiring that they move out and rent their own apartment or risk moving in with strangers as roommates.

Helping them on their feet = allowing them to contribute a couple hundred bucks a month to the household expenses INSTEAD of paying first, last, and security deposit, paying for furniture, PLUS the month's rent...

Helping your kids on their feet = helping them learn how to NOT need you anymore.

Helping your kids on their feet != enabling them to remain dependent.
Helping them on their feet = Allowing them to stand on their own two feet instead of carrying them and crippling them. Having them contribute financially to the household helps them to understand the COST of living! If you assist your children instead of taking care of them, they will still always need you....but you are allowing them the satisfaction of gaining their own independence so that when you're gone, they're not helpless!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2010, 07:50 PM
 
Location: maryland
3,966 posts, read 6,406,654 times
Reputation: 1729
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
My youngest bought his own tv when he was 15. I told him to turn it off and get outside and mow the lawn and he said No, I'll do it later.

I launched it down the cellar stairs and then told him he could clean up the glass and then go mow the lawn. You buying it would not have made a difference.
Actually yeah because i would have a. called the police and b. taken my mother to small claims court....or smashed her tv . Very Very mature of you btw.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2010, 07:53 PM
 
Location: maryland
3,966 posts, read 6,406,654 times
Reputation: 1729
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Ah yes.....and it's here where I would have had a good talk with my kids about where the door was and how there were several heavy-duty 33 gallon trash bags for them to put their clothing and ipod in, cuz everything else belongs to the owners of the house......and "That's ONE....a gimmee...you EVER tell me to stick ANYTHING in my a$$ again, you're GONE!" Also, I'm with LM.....I don't care if you bought it....you talk to me like that, it's going to cost you SOMETHING! Actually, I wouldn't have broken the TV that my child bought.....however, since I pay the electric and cable bill, necessary to operate said TV set....well yeah, you get the picture! Also....MY house, you bought it and I don't want it in the house I pay for...you better find somewhere else to store it! Some of us are damn serious when it comes to being the head of the house. We're much smarter and much more resourceful AND we know our rights!
Umm considering you can't throw your child out, and most kids know that thats pretty much not going to do anything, And unless you cut off electric to the entire house you are going to have issues with that logic.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2010, 08:06 PM
 
Location: Western Washington
8,003 posts, read 10,918,801 times
Reputation: 19511
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
Umm considering you can't throw your child out, and most kids know that thats pretty much not going to do anything, And unless you cut off electric to the entire house you are going to have issues with that logic.
Well that depends on how old the child is.....and never underestimate an intelligent mother. All it takes is shutting off the breaker and removing the electrical outlets in the room dear, putting wire nuts on the bare wires, flipping the breaker back on and voila! Problem solved! No plug ins! So sad! (not as smart as you think?) As a mother, believe me, I knew/know EXACTLY what I was/am required to provide my children. Run your mouth and believe me, my children wouldn't have one single "right" that the law didn't require them to have. My children love and respect me and they DON'T push me, they're way to smart for that! Please make a note that I give credit to my children. All it took was them seeing my oldest child pulling the things you said YOU pulled and said you'd pull on your parents. They saw how their brother was hauled out of here in handcuffs in the back of a police car when he started destroying things and making threats because his manipulation and bullying didn't work. They saw how he spent some time in Juv detention for his escapades. They saw how he CHOSE to find another place to live because he couldn't make his own rules and couldn't abide by ours. Yeah, the rest of the kids got quite an education out of the episode in our lives. They see how their adult brother 27 y.o. is disgusted with his teenaged episodes, how he can't believe he was so incredibly stupid and rotten (his words, not mine).....my words are "rebellious".

Last edited by beachmel; 11-10-2010 at 08:20 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:17 PM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top