Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 08:41 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,294,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
lol I'm only 23 years old, I don't have any children. I know the guy stays out late from talking to the man that was kind enough to temporarily let this kid stay w/ him. Instead of handling his business he wants to be out w/ his girl. He always wants to borrow money, but yet I don't get **** in return. He doesn't live w/ me(and never will).
Are you the OP? No? Then I wasn't talking to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Most 18 year olds in my generation couldn't WAIT to get out of their parents' house. That was the age of legal adulthood, when you had the right to move out and mommy and daddy couldn't do diddly to stop you.

But then, there were jobs available, and college grants for those who wanted to attend, and kids made the effort to BE adults, so that when they left home they'd have some general idea of what they would need to do to get along in life. By the time they moved out at 18, they knew how to boil a hotdog, grill a steak, wash dishes, do laundry, drive some kind of motor vehicle, and could read, write, and count change.

If the parents didn't teach them, they looked to someone else to teach them. If a kid's too lazy to get off his butt, put down the wifi, and LEARN how to survive away from mommy's breast, then it's his own fault when he's expected to do so and can't figure it out. Teenagers have big mouths. It's up to them to use them, or suffer for the lack.
This is a very simplistic answer to a very complex issue. How old are you?

My parents' generation COULD strike out on their own and find a decent job to pay the bills; often without as much as a HS degree. That isn't the case anymore.

Furthermore, MANY people of my parents' generation had parents who thought they were adults at 12 years old and you can imagine the problems THAT caused.

People need to stop glorifying the past. It ain't all it was cracked up to be.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Yaaaaaay!! This is the post of the day! IMHO... Dear Lord, I couldn't WAIT to get out of the house, get a job, a place of my own and take care of ME.....only ME! I did NOT call my parents collect, did not borrow money.....jeez, I worked for a living. It's what I moved out to do!!
And let's sing the chorus:

"If I can do it, everyone else can. Hallelujah!" ♪

Old 11-08-2010, 09:23 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,720,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
And let's sing the chorus:

"If I can do it, everyone else can. Hallelujah!" ♪
I'll sing the harmony.....I BELIEVE that everyone can....if they WANT to!

Old 11-09-2010, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
I'll sing the harmony.....I BELIEVE that everyone can....if they WANT to!
Believing doesn't make it true. Sorry, but I believe there is a skoshe of luck in everyone's life - good or bad.

Old 11-09-2010, 05:25 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,223,441 times
Quote:
Okay....my bad, I didn't know you were referring to the OP, I saw you post came immediately after mine and that you were not quoting anyone. The hostility is not necessary. But thanks for clarifying.

Old 11-09-2010, 05:29 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,223,441 times
his friends aren't thuggish, but he's 19 and he thinks he's a street kid. His friends are like 17 and what not, and I'm going on 24, so I've told him before that I'm not doing that, I mean b/c if something goes wrong, I'M the one that's going to be in trouble you know?

Old 11-09-2010, 06:30 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Quote:
The OP's friend's daughter is 20 years old now. Hopefully the parents have resolved this issue in the past two years since the OP posted. You responded to a 2-year-old post that someone else necrotized.

Old 11-09-2010, 06:37 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,053,193 times
Kick her out. She will have no problem finding a 40 year old guy to shack up with.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:03 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,680,954 times
Quote:
This is a very simplistic answer to a very complex issue. How old are you?

My parents' generation COULD strike out on their own and find a decent job to pay the bills; often without as much as a HS degree. That isn't the case anymore.

Furthermore, MANY people of my parents' generation had parents who thought they were adults at 12 years old and you can imagine the problems THAT caused.

People need to stop glorifying the past. It ain't all it was cracked up to be.
That's for sure. The past wasn't a glory, kids of age 18 were willing to take busboy jobs, eat ramen noodles and beans, make do with a few garage sale items and get an apartment with roommates.

Now they will leave home but only if they have a couple of credit cards, wide screen LCD television, 2 or 3 game players and all the games they can play, cell phones with unlimited calls and text messaging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting