Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 08:25 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,022 times

Advertisements

Hi there
Last weekend we were away at our vacation home and brought our two boys with us ; they are 8 & 9. They went to the game room which they have been lots of times and while most of the games were free, of course they stuck to a claw game and sank $40 into it. I didnt know they had money with them until later. The oldest had got 4 stuffed bears and after running out of his money, he asked his brother for his and of course lost all the money in the stupid game.

I found out about it at 6pm and was raging. I sent them both to bed, and then we decided that he had to pay back his brother the $24, also he gets no snack money for school, we bank all his birthday money (birthday is in dec). He gets $4 per week for pocket money so we think it is fair that he saves $1 and then has to account for the rest. As a punishment for the younger child he got to go to bed and also we didnt go to a movie the next night like we were supposed to do.

I hope he learned his lesson.

d
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 08:54 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,922,857 times
I'm not sure I understand. Did they know before-hand that they weren't supposed to spend money?

Old 10-15-2008, 08:56 AM

3,414 posts, read 7,141,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Hi there
Last weekend we were away at our vacation home and brought our two boys with us ; they are 8 & 9. They went to the game room which they have been lots of times and while most of the games were free, of course they stuck to a claw game and sank $40 into it. I didnt know they had money with them until later. The oldest had got 4 stuffed bears and after running out of his money, he asked his brother for his and of course lost all the money in the stupid game.

I found out about it at 6pm and was raging. I sent them both to bed, and then we decided that he had to pay back his brother the $24, also he gets no snack money for school, we bank all his birthday money (birthday is in dec). He gets $4 per week for pocket money so we think it is fair that he saves $1 and then has to account for the rest. As a punishment for the younger child he got to go to bed and also we didnt go to a movie the next night like we were supposed to do.

I hope he learned his lesson.

d
What was the lesson? What had they done that you had previously told them not to do?

Old 10-15-2008, 09:08 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,810,057 times
I admit I am confused too? Are you upset that the younger brother lent the older brother money? If that is what you are upset about, why punish them both? And you should have the older brother do the younger brother's chores till he has done $24 worth.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:11 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,022 times
They know I hate those kind of machines and have always told them they are a waste of money. I am upset that he once he started playing it, he admitted he couldnt stop. Yes, I am upset that the younger one who is normally a spend thrift loaned his older brother the money ; he can say NO often enough to him.

The lesson I hope that they learned was that its a waste of money and not to do it again. I also hope they learned how quick money can disappear.
d

Old 10-15-2008, 09:20 AM

705 posts, read 1,758,730 times
I would think that the lesson would be inherent in what happened - in other words they got probably 10 minutes worth of entertainment, some cheap toys, and lost a lot of $$. A more natural consequence would be that they now cannot buy what they usually do with their $$. "Oh, you want that toy, bummer that you blew all that $$ on the silly game where no one wins anything....."

Old 10-15-2008, 09:43 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,922,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88txaggie View Post
I would think that the lesson would be inherent in what happened - in other words they got probably 10 minutes worth of entertainment, some cheap toys, and lost a lot of $$. A more natural consequence would be that they now cannot buy what they usually do with their $$. "Oh, you want that toy, bummer that you blew all that $$ on the silly game where no one wins anything....."
I totally agree. I don't see the point in making them go to bed and pay back the money etc if it was their money to give freely. It's just a lesson in how if you waste your money on stupid junk like this you won't have any later to get what you want. If it wasn't their money to give freely, then I think that's a different issue.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:44 AM

2,588 posts, read 5,430,474 times
Don't torment yourself by second guessing yourself too much. None of us are perfect and handle things 100% correctly all of the time. We all probably overreact and underreact at times. It's just the way it goes. Just hope that it evens out in the end. And, honestly, I would have been angry if my kids blew $40 on a stupid game, too.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:25 AM

1,127 posts, read 5,007,777 times
I don't know how you handle the allowance, but when our kid hit 4th grade we gave him his lunch/snack/allowance money for the week and it was his responsibility to make sure he was able to have enough money to pay for school lunch for the week. If he did not have enough money to pay for luch on Fri., he would have to make his PB&J sandwich and paperbag it to school.

Obviously you'll have to supervise to make sure he has lunch, but my boy enjoyed having the responsibility and freedom to do what he wanted with his money. There were times where he actually lost the money and there were tears because he didn't want to make his own lunch, but imo it was part of the learning process. There were also times when the allowance was cut back because he didn't do his chores and of course I had to bite my tongue when he spent money on foolishness, but he was told it was his money that he earned so he could do what he wanted with it. Today the kid is 22 and has managed his money fairly well; he purchased a house, and then sold it for a profit, and has a bank account that makes me proud.

Like I said you will need to assist him in the begining. Provide a plan suggesting he store his lunch money in a drawer seprately from his spending money, suggest he not take all his money to school because it may get lost/stolen, ask how much money he has left for lunch each day, and let him make mistakes, (it's how they learn). It helps to be flexable every so often, like when he loses money offer to pay him a small amount for extra work around the house, (mine raked pine needles out the yard). I'm not sure the 8 yr. old is ready for this method, but your 9 yr. old may be. Best wishes with the boys, I'll bet you have your hands full

Old 10-15-2008, 12:17 PM

955 posts, read 3,647,490 times
as someone stated above, I would use natural consequences - you want to buy a snack or toy - too bad you spent your money already.... bummer you can't go to that movie with your friend from school... you spent your money Use natural consequences when ever you can to teach them - reality is what it is!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting