Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 01:02 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,948,991 times

Advertisements

When I first joined this site, I think I may have been too harsh to some moms in the Exercise and Fitness section who complained that they didnt have time to workout/keep themselves in shape because they had children. I have always thought that no matter what, you can make time to take care of yourself.

Well, I have learned first hand just how difficult it is. I decided to take some baby bonding time off work and took our now 7 month old daughter out of her daycare (and save $1000 per month) to care for her myself. WOW. It is pretty tough.

SAHM and especially single moms, I dont know how you do it, but kudos to you for your work. It really is difficult taking care of a baby. I still have it easy as my wife cares for her during the night, but I do all the cooking, cleaning, feeding, playing, reading during the day.

She eats every 2-3 hours, takes a couple of naps during the day, and I still try to get some work done but wow, babies need 100% attention 100% of the time.

SAHM and single moms, you have my respect for being so good at such a difficult job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 01:11 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,864,372 times
LOL!!!! As I was asked the question today if I worked....... my response, "24 hours a day, 365 days a year, no vacation, no sick time, no overtime pay". The woman laughed and said, "you most be a mom". YEP And my kids are now in school full time (13 & 9) but it is still a LOT of work.

My oldest piped up about 2 years ago and asked when I was going to get a job. I told her I did have one. She was like, one where you get a paycheck. When I then told her that if I did have a job outside of the home all of that stuff I do during the day while they are at school I'd have to do AFTER work and on the weekends. Things like going to the store, cleaners, bank, running errands, bringing them lunch on occassion, etc. All of the house chores would have to be done then as well and they would have to do more. I'd also be limited in how much running around I could do for them for extra curriculiar activities since I'd be having to do these other things in that time as well. Her response, "NEVER MIND!" She got it then.

As for SAHM's keeping themselves up. I don't have a problem doing that. I feel better when I'm dressed well and taking care of myself. To me I'm showing my daughters that you can still be a mom and take care of yourself and be presentable to the world. To my husband I'm showing I still care to be attractive to him. Now, when my oldest was a baby she SPEWED and when I was at home with her you would find me in t-shirts and shorts that were NOT presentable to be worn in public for me. It takes time to do it but it can be done. You just have to get the routine down and then it works.

Good luck and you are right........... it is a LOT of work taking care of a little one.

Old 10-23-2008, 01:12 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,926,933 times
That's nice of you. I'm not a SAHM (I work out of the home), but it's good of you to acknowledge your change of thought.

Old 10-23-2008, 01:37 PM

I thought I knew it all but was quite wrong. Have a 13 year old stepson whom I met when he was 5. But, he was only with us 3 days of the week and with he dad the rest of the time so I kinda had it easy.

Now, between the diapers, feedings, playings, etc. I have very little time to workout, clean, etc. I cant image people with more than one kid.

Old 10-23-2008, 01:41 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,980,752 times
I don't think anyone has any clue what it's like to really be a parent until they are a parent. I know that I was the perfect mother who would have perfect children... and then my babies were born and all that went out the window! LOL

Good for you for spending this precious time with your daughter... enjoy it, it goes by way too fast!

Old 10-23-2008, 01:46 PM

650 posts, read 2,179,052 times
Wow! I don't think I have ever heard anyone here admit that they were wrong before! LOL!

Being a SAHM is the most rewarding, and difficult job I have ever had. Thanks for your support and welcome to the club! We have matching vomit colored t-shirts and poop stained jackets!

Old 10-23-2008, 02:13 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,431,088 times
Yup. It's tough. Now imagine two of them 3 and under. That's why I joined one of those groups where you work out with other moms while the kids sit in the strollers. It's not always the greatest work-out, but it's something.

Old 10-23-2008, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtee View Post
Yup. It's tough. Now imagine two of them 3 and under. That's why I joined one of those groups where you work out with other moms while the kids sit in the strollers. It's not always the greatest work-out, but it's something.
You know, Im thinking of organizing one of those groups myself. Saw a bunch of moms the other day and thought "what a wonderful idea".

Its so hot here today. Think I'll pack up the little one and head to the beach.

Have a good day.

Old 10-23-2008, 03:03 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,057,755 times
Good of you to make the gesture DaBeez! No, it's not easy....

I work a few hours from home and do voluntary work the school and for a non-profit, but basically I'm a SAHM with 3 kids aged between 6 and 13. It's hard fitting in trips to the gym during the day, and by the time the kids are all finished with my time in the evening, I'm far too tired to go....far more exhausted than I ever was after a day at the office!

To get around this, I now run to school with my youngest riding his bike, then run home the long way round - giving myself an hour's workout every day, but still getting home and done by 8.30am.

I wouldn't say I'm the fittest mom ever.. LOL but I'm trying!!!

Old 10-23-2008, 03:58 PM

705 posts, read 1,759,027 times
Thanks for the shout out, it is not an easy thing to do.

It is hard to exercise with a little one. I tried roller blades with the kiddo in a jogging stroller, and riding my bike with a trailer and then a bike seat for kiddo. Neither were very satisfying. My kids are older now, so I can ride while they are in school.

But I recently rediscovered rink roller skating, and it is a blast! I go with my 8 year old and relive my childhood every weekend (and burn up to 1000 calories in 3 hours of skating!) I mention this here because our local roller rink has a 'stroller skate' every week where they let strollers onto the rink. If you have a roller rink in your area you should check it out - it is a lot of fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting