U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2008, 07:46 PM

15,918 posts, read 23,680,343 times

Advertisements

I just can't seem to find toys that will engage my eight year old boy in except video games and legos!! When his friend come over to play, the only want to do video games.

I have tried to encourage them to go outside, play ball etc. They do for a bit, and then want to do video games....

Any suggestions for toys/activities would be greatly appreciated!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 10:32 PM

3,191 posts, read 8,584,465 times
maybe some of these will help, or give you ideas to try and duplicate locally...there is a lot of stuff out there that you won't find at wally world or target.........Good luck!!

SmartLab Toys

educational insights: engage minds, inspire play

Highlights.com Search Results

Dinosaur and shark toy models, science toys and kits, dinosaur party supplies, dinosaur fossil replicas.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:57 AM

15,918 posts, read 23,680,343 times
Great stuff! Thanks!

Old 10-28-2008, 07:37 AM

6,764 posts, read 20,558,264 times
You could say that when a friend comes over, there is no tv or videogames for the first hour or so.

I find videogames and tv are addicting (even for me) so you have little to do but limit them.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:25 AM

834 posts, read 4,597,302 times
I agree. I don't allow the tv to be on when my kids have their friends over. They know it's off limits.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:50 AM

3,087 posts, read 6,970,529 times
I have a soon to be 11 yr old daughter and soon to be 6 yr old son and they also love video games, however they spend hours at a time outside so I have no issues with the time they do spend playing on the computer or video games for it all balances out in a healthy way.

I also provide child care for 2 other 11 yr old boys and an 8 yr old girl.

So, with that in mind, while the 'extra' kids are here they have about an hour in the afternoon for video/computer games, then it's outside we go. We've got plenty of stuff to do out there that keeps them entertained and I've found can be a great investment of your money that many people overlook.
They all love to swing and climb, so the set we have is a must for us. They all love to play with sand as well, so a sandbox it is! We've got enough bikes so they can all ride at the same time. Basketball goal has been a wonderful addition as they've gotten older. Then of course there's the jump ropes, pogo stick, hula hoops, sidewalk chalk, bubbles and misc balls always available too.

For indoor time they've got plenty to choose from and some of their favorites are: Legos, Kinex, art activities, foosball, blocks (especially when they add in their webkinz), geo trax, marble works and dress up/kitchen play. yes, even for the boys.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:13 AM

8,308 posts, read 36,208,849 times
Get a set of pugil sticks and lacrosse helmets. Instant fun.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:39 AM

16,306 posts, read 15,204,251 times
i had three boys in 2 years and when their friends came over that was 5 or 6 little boys. Best entertainment for them / us was:

Lego. We'd spend WEEKS on legos, even things like sorting them was fun, just kept adding sets and mixing them together and even at age 17 and 18 we'd all get down on the floor for hours at a time

The "pad room" this was an empty room with nothing in it but some thick foam pads, the boys would roll around in in and wrestle and i never could see the appeal but they would spend hours in there and they could be as loud as they wanted in that room.

Hands on crafts like play dough and clay and when they got older, things like making dream catchers and Fimo.

Send them outside in ANY weather to be loud and run around and burn off steam. I was told "There is no such thing as bad weather just inappropriate clothing" and this was a lifesaver with my boys when everyone got cabin fever. Mud, rain, stomping around, digging in the mud and rain, they absolutely loved it, so what when they come in they take a bath.

"Take apart stuff" this is old junk you buy at garage sales like old radios and toasters and tape recorders and junky small appliances and you give the kids some tools like screwdrivers and pliers and needle nose pliers and let them "take apart" the stuff. Costs only a few bucks, keeps them entertained for hours, and they get competent with REAL tools (not those kid junk tools) and fine motor skills. (The boys LOVED this. At one point they begged me to get an old car so they could take it apart, but we did not have the space for that.)

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 10-28-2008 at 09:47 AM..

Old 10-28-2008, 09:43 AM

1,986 posts, read 3,702,453 times
Tell him he can't play video games except at a very specific time (i.e., 4-5PM) on any given day. Parents can do things like set limits. Kids can do things like finding alternative things to do.

Kids are not using their imaginations like they used to because parents micromanage their time for them. Your child will get used to finding things to do on his own without your help if you give him enough opportunity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting