Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2008, 12:57 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,485,876 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Has anyone run across some good children's books/movies about moving?

The kids in mind are two boys in elementary school (grades 3, 4), a pre-school boy and a two year old girl. They will be moving from MN to MA in June.

So far I have ordered a Bernstein's Bear book, and Alexander book, a cd made by kids who have moved and a novel named The Kid in the Red Jacket.

I hope these are good starts. Any favorites out there. Would welcome suggestions.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 03:02 PM

705 posts, read 1,759,401 times
Don't have anything else for you, but would you mind giving more info about the cd made for kids? Google and Amazon don't come up with anything. Thanks!

Old 10-26-2008, 07:33 PM

528 posts, read 1,462,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by localinsight View Post
Hi,

Has anyone run across some good children's books/movies about moving?
I'm a HUGE fan of Amazon.com because they show user book reviews. The reviews, by the way, are usually well done and I always read the reviews before purchasing a book. I also like paperbackswap.com where you list your books and others list their books and you swap books, only paying the shipping to send the book to the other user. The user gives you credit for getting the book and then you can request a book from another user. Great system! Anyway, on Amazon I just did a peek through the children's books and found a few that looked interesting (we're moving as well):
I love Amazon too because they usually offer free shipping on orders over $25 and also offer the same thing by Amazon users who sell the books used.

Good luck to you!

Old 10-27-2008, 06:39 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,485,876 times
Default books on moving for kids

Thanks for those responses.

I ordered books from Amazon.com - Have never had a problem w/it. It does make shopping so much easier w/their reviews. Postage and Handling added onto used books still costs less than going into a bookstore and many "used" books, CD's, etc. are actually new.

Have never had trouble w/any vendors. It's actually a good reminder that there are still many honest people out there!

Here's what I ordered:

First, the CD - "Kidvidz - Let's Get A Move On!". By Joan Lunden, it is supposed to be moving stories told by kids who have moved. The reviews are good and I thought seeing other kids tell their stories would really help alleviate anxiety.

Now, the books -

The Berenstain Bears' Moving Day
Alexander, Who's Not (Do you Hear Me? I Mean It) Going To Move
I'm Not Moving, Mama by Nancy White Carlstrom

And, Finally, a novel for the older boys (grades 3-6):
The Kid in the Red Jacket by Barbara Park

All of these books, plus S&H, cost a total of 40.00 (plus cents).

Check out the website Dallasnews.com and search moving tips/stories for the article I used as a jumping off point. They have other suggestions on books which may be better for kids depending on age/gender.

I'm looking forward to watching the DVD myself! Reviews of the novel include adults who can't stop turning the pages. The main character is a 6th grade boy who discovers that a first grade girl in his new town needs a friend, too.

Old 10-27-2008, 01:33 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,915,475 times
You have covered my basics! That CD sounds neat--could you give us a review when you get it? I am especially interested if it would be geared toward a six year old.

I always give a going away party every time we move. The last one was pizza and a movie at a neighbor's house. Before that, it was just a special cake at daycare. Don't know what it will be this time... I also go into my son's classroom/daycare and talk to the kids about where we are moving and show them photos of the area. That way, his friends and classmates can get excited for him, too. It is also a great way to introduce geography to my son's class. Okay, I know you were looking for book titles, but since you already have the one's I do, I thought I would but this tidbit in, too.

Oh, perhaps some books about MA? Again, to help get them excited about the move. There is so much there to get excited about, too--the history, the ocean, nearby mountains, Boston....

Old 10-28-2008, 12:14 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,066,657 times
Boy, let's get those kids REALLY stressed about moving 8 months before it happens.

My suggestion: Wait until about 3 weeks before, tell them they're moving, and to where, take them to the library to check out books about Ma., and when it's time, move.

All those books and concern only create unnecessary stress for kids WAY before the move even takes place. Let them think it's an adventure instead of something traumatic. It's all in how it's presented. Kids take their cues from the adults around them.

IMO Prepping 8 months ahead is a BIG mistake. The kids will have ulcers by March.

Old 10-28-2008, 12:40 PM

705 posts, read 1,759,401 times
stormy - are you kidding? You don't think the boxes and the sign in the yard would be a clue that something is happening before 3 weeks out??? My kids would freak and would be all over me with questions, and would know there is a huge secret that no one is talking about. That would be healthy? IMO that is the road to an ulcer! Nothing wrong with planning and gearing up for a big change, as long as it is handled in a calm manner.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:57 PM

528 posts, read 1,462,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88txaggie View Post
stormy - are you kidding? You don't think the boxes and the sign in the yard would be a clue that something is happening before 3 weeks out??? My kids would freak and would be all over me with questions, and would know there is a huge secret that no one is talking about. That would be healthy? IMO that is the road to an ulcer! Nothing wrong with planning and gearing up for a big change, as long as it is handled in a calm manner.
I completely agree! Even animals know when a family is planning a move and get anxious!!! To include my children and prep them early (in a loving and calm way) is a form of honesty and openness in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting