Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 01:46 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,444,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
I already posted that.
Yeah, but, yeah, but, yeah, but, yeah, but, I posted it first and this was my thread and I started it and, yeah, but, yeah, but....

Old 11-01-2008, 03:29 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,065,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girlsand2boys View Post
Good point! In this judgemental society, I can't really believe that anyone nursing an older child would freely advertise it!
Why, would they be ashamed of it?

Old 11-01-2008, 04:33 PM

650 posts, read 2,179,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
Why, would they be ashamed of it?
It isn't a matter of being ashamed so much as not wanting to deal with comments and criticisms from ignorant people who should be minding their own business anyway.

Old 11-01-2008, 04:54 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,370,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Did anyone bother to watch this video?

It shows a VERY old child breastfeeding and CLEARLY demonstrates the problems it can lead to in later life. Anyone who thinks it's OKAY to breastfeed an older child needs to watch this video!

YouTube - Bitty
FUNNY, Gross!!

Old 11-01-2008, 07:00 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,788,644 times
Any woman that would keep an 8-year-old child breastfeeding is sick in the head.
Quote:
I think that all mothers should nurse for at least the one year period that is recommended by the AAP, though.
I think that all mothers should *have the choice* to feed their baby in whichever way they think is best.

Old 11-01-2008, 07:08 PM

124 posts, read 279,897 times
Quote:
It isn't a matter of being ashamed so much as not wanting to deal with comments and criticisms from ignorant people who should be minding their own business anyway.
I am not an ignorant person and if I saw someone nursing a 7 year old child I would think there was something wrong with that mother. I breastfed both of my girls. The 7 year old until 1 and the three year old until 2. It was a wonderful experience. I love my girls, I love being with them. However, at some point a mother needs to separate herself from that child and allow the child to grow as a person. I know that my girls need to grow into strong individuals, even at 7 and 3. IMO, if a mother continues to nurse a 5/6/7 year old, she is trying to keep that child in a "baby state".

Old 11-01-2008, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainerwoman View Post
I am not an ignorant person and if I saw someone nursing a 7 year old child I would think there was something wrong with that mother. I breastfed both of my girls. The 7 year old until 1 and the three year old until 2. It was a wonderful experience. I love my girls, I love being with them. However, at some point a mother needs to separate herself from that child and allow the child to grow as a person. I know that my girls need to grow into strong individuals, even at 7 and 3. IMO, if a mother continues to nurse a 5/6/7 year old, she is trying to keep that child in a "baby state".
Well, the point of the post you quoted was that you probably WOULDN"T see a woman nursing her 7 year old because it is probably something they did in the privacy of their own home. Someone asked why be ashamed of it and I pointed out that it is ignorant and unsoliciated comments that make people not broadcast it to the world. Thank you for making my point.

There is NO proof that extended breastfeeding, for however long, interfers with a child "growing into a strong individual". The girls in the video that sparked this whole debate did not appear to be socially stunted to me.

As for a mother trying to "keep their child in a baby state", the only thing I can respond to that ridiculousness with is this: You can't FORCE a child to breastfeed. It is not the mother forcing an unpleasant act upon a child, the child is willing doing something that provides comfort to them. I guess you should stop letting them sleep with stuffed animals, sleep with a nightlight and stop giving them hugs when they reach a certain age too! They will outgrow breastfeeding when they are good and ready, the same way they outgrow all of those other childish things.

Old 11-01-2008, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
Any woman that would keep an 8-year-old child breastfeeding is sick in the head.

I think that all mothers should *have the choice* to feed their baby in whichever way they think is best.
I guess that depends on your definition of "best", now doesn't it?

And how do you "keep" an 8 year old breastfeeding? It is not like the mother is forcing her to continue nursing to achieve her own agenda.

I love how people feel free to say that a woman breastfeeding her child for however long she likes is "sick in the head", but the minute someone points out that formula is just the crap that is left over from overprocessing dairy products and mixing them with the cheapest, unhealthiest oils available, all hell breaks loose.

Old 11-01-2008, 07:47 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,181,445 times
This is a very interesting piece on the natural age of weaning in mammals. The natural age of weaning is dependent on multiple factors such as the age that the child gets their first permanent molars, length of gestation, size of adults (larger mammals such as humans wean when their children quadruple their birth weight or reach 1/3 of their adult weight). Based on these studies the minimum predicted age for a natural age of weaning in humans is 2.5 years and a maximum of 7 years.

Based on this research, any woman who is still nursing her 7 year old child is within the range of normal.
A Natural Age of Weaning

Children will all assert their independence on their own timetable if we allow them to do so. Extended breastfeeding is not going to hinder that.

Extended Breastfeeding (http://www.aceks.com/mikboy/extbfg.htm - broken link)
Quote:
Extended Breastfeeding Fosters Independence
"The independent child is the one who has been held close when that was what he needed."
Norma Jane Bumgarner Mothering Your Nursing Toddler, p. 38.
Independence should not be defined according to when a child weans from the breast, sleeps alone or leaves diapers behind. An independent child is one who has her dependency needs fulfilled, then separates gradually on her own terms to become a child who feels right and confident in the world. As one noted pediatrician points out:
"Contrary to the popular belief that extended attachment hinders independence, we notice that babies who are not prematurely rushed through any attachment stage and weaned before their time actually become more independent."
William Sears, M.D., and Martha Sears, R.N. The Discipline Book, p. 55.
kellymom.com :: Extended Breastfeeding Fact Sheet
Quote:
According to Sally Kneidel in "Nursing Beyond One Year" (New Beginnings, Vol. 6 No. 4, July-August 1990, pp. 99-103.):

"Research reports on the psychological aspects of nursing are scarce. One study that dealt specifically with babies nursed longer than a year showed a significant link between the duration of nursing and mothers' and teachers' ratings of social adjustment in six- to eight-year-old children (Ferguson et al, 1987). In the words of the researchers, 'There are statistically significant tendencies for conduct disorder scores to decline with increasing duration of breastfeeding.'"
According to Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq. in "Extended Breastfeeding and the Law":
"Breastfeeding is a warm and loving way to meet the needs of toddlers and young children. It not only perks them up and energizes them; it also soothes the frustrations, bumps and bruises, and daily stresses of early childhood. In addition, nursing past infancy helps little ones make a gradual transition to childhood."
Baldwin continues: "Meeting a child's dependency needs is the key to helping that child achieve independence. And children outgrow these needs according to their own unique timetable." Children who achieve independence at their own pace are more secure in that independence then children forced into independence prematurely.
As 2girlsand2boys correctly stated in a pp, you can not force a child to breastfeed. A mother who is still nursing her child past the point that society deems as acceptable does so because she believes that it is the best thing for her child and is willing to wait until her child outgrows the need rather then push them into weaning before they are ready.

Old 11-01-2008, 07:53 PM

124 posts, read 279,897 times
Quote:
Well, the point of the post you quoted was that you probably WOULDN"T see a woman nursing her 7 year old because it is probably something they did in the privacy of their own home. Someone asked why be ashamed of it and I pointed out that it is ignorant and unsoliciated comments that make people not broadcast it to the world. Thank you for making my point.

There is NO proof that extended breastfeeding, for however long, interfers with a child "growing into a strong individual". The girls in the video that sparked this whole debate did not appear to be socially stunted to me.

As for a mother trying to "keep their child in a baby state", the only thing I can respond to that ridiculousness with is this: You can't FORCE a child to breastfeed. It is not the mother forcing an unpleasant act upon a child, the child is willing doing something that provides comfort to them. I guess you should stop letting them sleep with stuffed animals, sleep with a nightlight and stop giving them hugs when they reach a certain age too! They will outgrow breastfeeding when they are good and ready, the same way they outgrow all of those other childish things.
Encourage and force are completely different. At seven years old that child does not require breastfeeding for anything. Comfort can be given in so many different ways that does not require a child to be kept at an infant emotional level. Any mother who is continueing to breastfeed a 7 year old is doing it for her own emotional needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting