Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2012, 07:39 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
It's non specific because there is no upper limit to the duration of breastfeeding. Mothers are advised to nurse as long as long as mutually desired. There is no upper limit because breastfeeding is not harmful to older nurslings or their mothers. There is evidence that it is beneficial.
all I was saying is WHO isn't cut and dry about the 2 year mark.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:40 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
why would you breast feed past the age of 2 years old? Why would you want to?
Why not pump and give the older child, say 2 years older breast milk?
Why WOULDN'T you? You assume a an obvious disadvantage or harm from doing so that many of us just can't see.

Buy a pump when nature gave you a delivery method that works? That makes no sense.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:45 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Per the World Health Organization

"Exclusive breastfeeding is recommended up to 6 months of age, with continued breastfeeding along with appropriate complementary foods up to two years of age or beyond."

On what do you base that claim?
I don't need a quote to back my feelings on the subject...
honestly, I don't care if your indifferent, or not, if you hate me or like me, if you do it or not, and stated in my first post, that it's your business...
however, I did also reinterate my feelings on the subject, and no medical journal or quote by any organization is going to help make me feel differently.

Look if you did so, that's fine...I still like you, and I don't care if you did or didn't do it...
However, it's creepy to me...
and that is my perogitive...
to keep on fighting about it is not going to get us anywhere...I base my claim on what MY doctor told me and my daughter in law's pediatrician...
plus others that I've spoken to on the subject. There is no right or wrong on this subject, it IS a matter of opinion, and I did state, that I might be wrong...did you see that part? However, my feelings still stand...unless you can convince me otherwise...which honestly I'm open for discussion...
but I don't know that I could agree..and that's ok, I'm not saying your wrong, I'm saying it is how it makes me feel....and that I can't change.
I don't understand why people can't understand, it is my perspective, doesn't way your right and I'm wrong or visa versa, it is how we were raised to believe and our own ideas adopted....
today in this world if you don't agree with someone, they take it so personal????????????? Why??????? Do you understand where I'm going with this? Did you understand, what you do is your business?
I'm sorry, but at this point in my life, I think it's creepy...and I could go, literally, ewwwwwww, and I'm sorry I feel that way, but I do. And so does maybe oh, 75% of the rest of America...maybe we're stuffy and old fashioned, but that is what I feel when I see it. It to me is disgusting.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:45 AM

35 posts, read 46,958 times
I'm shocked at the hostility I've been reading here and other places. If a woman wants and is able to keep her breasts on tap for years and years then that's her choice. I can't see any harm in it. Plenty of messed up kids out there who were bottle fed.

My cutoff was 1 year. I would have preferred 2 years but couldn't do it (preemie that was in the hospital alot). When the kid starts walking the kid has got to go.

Moderation and balance in all things. The woman on the cover exudes a smugness... MILITANT!!! I tell you. If she's still married, then the hubs is definitely (ok, probably) getting it on the side.

Last edited by indomitablyShe; 05-11-2012 at 07:55 AM..

Old 05-11-2012, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indomitablyShe View Post
I really don't understand what all the fuss is about. If a woman wants and is able to keep her breasts on tap for years and years then that's her choice. Everyone seems to be focused on the relationship between mother and child. I can't see any harm in it. Plenty of messed up kids out there who were bottle fed. It's all about moderation and balance.

The woman on the cover exudes a smugness... MILITANT!!! I tell you. If she's still married, then the hubs is definitely (ok, probably) getting it on the side.

whew....what a breath of fresh air you are....
THANK YOU!!!!!!!

Old 05-11-2012, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Why WOULDN'T you? You assume a an obvious disadvantage or harm from doing so that many of us just can't see.

Buy a pump when nature gave you a delivery method that works? That makes no sense.

somebodynew...why do you? What are the advantages of breast feeding a child to 4, 5, 6, 7 or more? why do you do it?

someone stated that by doing so is beneficial to the mother and the child...what are the benefits of doing so? If it's a matter of nutricinal needs, then why not pump...?

Old 05-11-2012, 08:09 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
I think it's icky too. As for proof that my opinion is correct, here's some:

I think cockroaches are icky. Prove to me that I am wrong to have a physical reaction to seeing cockroaches crawling in someone's kitchen cupboards.

I think seeing people snogging in public is icky. Just because it's natural for people to want to snog each other, doesn't mean they should display it prominently for everyone else to see. That's not to say my opinion should determine what's right or what's wrong..

But that's just, like, my opinion, man.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:10 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
This discussion is getting really silly. Now we are making assumptions about people's sex lives based on a photograph of a mom breastfeeding? Talking about liking or not liking someone based on their position to support a mom making parenting choices for herself?

The mommy wars are so negative and destructive, and largely perpetuated by mommies who should be supportive and less critical of other mommies. It's sad.

Whether or not I would breastfeed a 6/7/8 year-old is irrelevant to the discussion because I absolutely think it is up to each individual parent to make that decision for themselves in their given situation.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:14 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Yeah, I completely agree with this sentiment. Stunts like this do way more harm than good in relation to the public's perception of breastfeeding.
There was a heated debate on the radio this morning about the article. Time got exactly what they wanted, a great big fuss about nothing.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:15 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
There was a heated debate on the radio this morning about the article. Time got exactly what they wanted, a great big fuss about nothing.
the cover mom and son were on the Today Show today. I saw the preview, but not the story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting