Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 11:35 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

Omaha, NE (AHN) - Nebraska authorities have placed a 16-year-old girl and her eight-month old son under state foster care after she sought safe haven at an Omaha hospital but did not qualify.

Teen Mom With Baby Asks For Safe Haven In Nebraska But Disqualified | AHN | October 31, 2008 (http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7012782979 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 07:48 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,067,984 times
Figures.

Old 10-31-2008, 04:05 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,154,207 times
My daughter had a teen pregnancy, so the whole story would have to be known before a judgment could be made. If a girl has a baby at 16, this indicates that at least by 15, the mother already lost control. I also know that teen moms think they are adults since they have given birth. It is a tough situation that each family has to work through. It took us several months before we settled down and began to work things out smoothly.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:55 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,347,484 times
The girl was trying to give herself up under the safe haven law.

The safe haven law is for the PARENT to give the child up.

If this worked then any kid who was pissed at their parents could walk into the ER and give themselves up.

there are other laws to protect children in this girl's situation.

And they are working in Nebraska to change the law so that kids of all ages cannot be abandoned at the hospital.

Old 11-09-2008, 05:09 PM

862 posts, read 1,642,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
If a girl has a baby at 16, this indicates that at least by 15, the mother already lost control.
Because a teenager gets pregnant her mother lost control? I don't understand this statement.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:40 AM

1,841 posts, read 3,172,649 times
I do not see a problem with this, this teens issue is more for CPS.

I feel the Safe Haven Law is being grossly taken advantage of.
The law was to provide a no question approach to cut down on "Child abandonment" aka dumpster babies. The law as I understand it is supposed to be for babies no older than 3 days old this way they can be physically checked out and then safely placed in fostercare..sad.

Old 11-22-2008, 05:39 AM

58 posts, read 307,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
If a girl has a baby at 16, this indicates that at least by 15, the mother already lost control.
Right, because a sexually active 15-year-old is just hopeless and out of control - especially if she's a girl.

Old 11-23-2008, 06:46 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,453,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
The girl was trying to give herself up under the safe haven law.

The safe haven law is for the PARENT to give the child up.

If this worked then any kid who was pissed at their parents could walk into the ER and give themselves up.

there are other laws to protect children in this girl's situation.

And they are working in Nebraska to change the law so that kids of all ages cannot be abandoned at the hospital.

sounds like she was trying to give the baby up. That is what the law is for. Not sure why she couldn't. Once again we don't know the whole story, but it wouldn't suprise me if the teenager was telling the truth.

Old 11-23-2008, 06:48 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,453,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr74 View Post
I do not see a problem with this, this teens issue is more for CPS.

I feel the Safe Haven Law is being grossly taken advantage of.
The law was to provide a no question approach to cut down on "Child abandonment" aka dumpster babies. The law as I understand it is supposed to be for babies no older than 3 days old this way they can be physically checked out and then safely placed in fostercare..sad.

but nebraska law has no age limit. they have taken kids as old as 16. obviously this young girl didn't think she could take care of the baby and felt that mother was hurting the situation. Funny how the sister takes her side and mother states everything was blown out of proportion. Makes you wonder what kind of threats were made.

Old 11-24-2008, 01:37 AM

262 posts, read 1,042,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrfitchett4 View Post
but nebraska law has no age limit.
Nebraska recently has enacted an age limit on that law due to abuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting