Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 01:14 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,111,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
"I am taking a stand for a safe and harassment-free school for all students, regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity/expression," read the pledges. "As an ally, I pledge to not use anti-LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender) language or slurs."

Breitbart.tv » Parents Upset Over Pro-Gay Pledge Cards Given to Kindergartners
Why are they upset? They want their children to call people nasty names? That makes no sense, we teach out children NOT to call others bad names (stupid, jerk), you should WANT your children to sign a pledge to not be mean to others.

Bad parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sum1Else View Post
Wow.

Can you imagine my child's surprise when she wore a beloved shirt from a VBS (Vacation Bible School) and was told by another student that she can't wear something that says anything about God?

That sounds fair to me as long as it applies to everyone's church. IT has to be across the board to be fair.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
No one better say they can't either.
Or what? You gonna shoot em up? Or maybe just put in a bad word with God?
That empty threat does nothing for anyone.

I am religious but I don't think God belongs in school. If you want to wear a religous t-shirt i see nothing wrong with that. Kids wear their muslim scarves and crosses so why not?

Old 11-03-2008, 01:25 PM

13 posts, read 38,260 times
There is a thread about this in the education forum as well. Kids should be taught not to name-call, period. Why bring up someone's sexuality at all? They don't want the kids making racial slurs either, I assume, but htey don't need a "pledge card" to bring it to their attention....

Old 11-03-2008, 01:29 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,898,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcernedMommy View Post
There is a thread about this in the education forum as well. Kids should be taught not to name-call, period. Why bring up someone's sexuality at all? They don't want the kids making racial slurs either, I assume, but htey don't need a "pledge card" to bring it to their attention....
True. They don't need abstinence pledges or purity rings either.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:39 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,695,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
Why are they upset? They want their children to call people nasty names? That makes no sense, we teach out children NOT to call others bad names (stupid, jerk), you should WANT your children to sign a pledge to not be mean to others.

Bad parents.
The difference between what your saying and this "Pro-Gay Pledge Card" is that it singles out anyone who is gay. Like another poster said, many kindergartners might not understand the concept of one being gay. Why not just say, "we will be nice to everyone" and that "calling names" or "bullying" ANYONE because they are "different" or for any reason is not accepted and will not be allowed.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
Or what? You gonna shoot em up? Or maybe just put in a bad word with God?
That empty threat does nothing for anyone.

I am religious but I don't think God belongs in school. If you want to wear a religous t-shirt i see nothing wrong with that. Kids wear their muslim scarves and crosses so why not?
No, it would not be an "empty threat". I'd do everything possible that I could to make sure my childrens rights are not stomped out.

As for God. He IS in the schools. He is everywhere I am as a Christian and the same goes for my kids. As a Christian God is with us everywhere we go and that includes school. If we chose to live by His commands then He dictates the way we live in and out of school. I'm not a closet Christian and I refuse to be one. I don't need to stand on the roof top and thump my chest nor walk around w/ a 500 lb Bible but the way I live will be living proof that I am a believer. The same goes for my kids. They don't need to run around telling everyone they are going to Hell if they don't believe or wear religious tee's all the time. But their daily walk will be a testament to their beliefs and faith even when they are in school. My kids are not going to check their Christianity in at the door when they enter the school building.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:47 PM

Quote:
My kids are not going to check their Christianity in at the door when they enter the school building.
Fair enough, but then you'd better not complain when the atheist kid, the wiccan kid, the Muslim kid, the Buddhist kid, et cetera all do their "thing" too.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
Fair enough, but then you'd better not complain when the atheist kid, the wiccan kid, the Muslim kid, the Buddhist kid, et cetera all do their "thing" too.
Well, around here those other "beliefs" get a MUCH better reception than Christians get. Many school districts around here actually put in prayer rooms and spots for Muslims to pray and they are allowed to get up and leave a room at any time w/o asking. Christians are not even allowed to so much say "Jesus" without getting thrown out of school (one elem kid got thrown out for handing out candy canes because they were determined to be a symbol of Christianity). The kids are allowed to wear whatever head coverings their faith dictates them to but others are not even allowed to wear a fleece jacket without a hood and most schools have banned "hoodies".

OH, and another school actually had a class DURING school for kids to attend to learn about Islam. They were allowed to hand out all kinds of lit and instructed the kids to be tolerant of them. Try handing out a Bible OUTSIDE of a school before or after and I'm pretty sure you'd get thrown off of campus. Funny how that "tolerance" thing is a "one way street".

Old 11-03-2008, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Well, around here those other "beliefs" get a MUCH better reception than Christians get. Many school districts around here actually put in prayer rooms and spots for Muslims to pray and they are allowed to get up and leave a room at any time w/o asking. Christians are not even allowed to so much say "Jesus" without getting thrown out of school (one elem kid got thrown out for handing out candy canes because they were determined to be a symbol of Christianity). The kids are allowed to wear whatever head coverings their faith dictates them to but others are not even allowed to wear a fleece jacket without a hood and most schools have banned "hoodies".

OH, and another school actually had a class DURING school for kids to attend to learn about Islam. They were allowed to hand out all kinds of lit and instructed the kids to be tolerant of them. Try handing out a Bible OUTSIDE of a school before or after and I'm pretty sure you'd get thrown off of campus. Funny how that "tolerance" thing is a "one way street".
Guess what? It's all about what the faith requires. Muslims are REQUIRED by their faith to pray five times a day, Christians are not -- you can mentally send off a prayer to your god and call it good. Muslims have a certain required prayer rituals and clothing that they MUST wear in order to follow their faith. Christians do not. Handing out literature explaining a Muslim's religion and requesting tolerance is not the same as handing someone a bible and trying to convert them.

Christians are not being persecuted or discriminated against simply because Muslims (et cetera) are allowed to wear their accoutrements of religion to school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting