Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 01:05 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,126,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
No, it would not be an "empty threat". I'd do everything possible that I could to make sure my childrens rights are not stomped out.

As for God. He IS in the schools. He is everywhere I am as a Christian and the same goes for my kids. As a Christian God is with us everywhere we go and that includes school. If we chose to live by His commands then He dictates the way we live in and out of school. I'm not a closet Christian and I refuse to be one.
Your childrens rights are not being stomped on. If they say they can't wear a GOD shirt to school and they also don't allow a muslim shirt or buddhist shirt or catholic shirt then it is a PERFECTLY FAIR RULE. The only time it would not be fair is to single out one religion over another.

GOd is with us always, he is just quiet, like in silent prayer so while you pray to jesus they pray to shiva. It is called tolerance.

I personally have never heard of a rule like this at a school to ban clothing with religous items on it.

These people just wanted kids to sign cards to be nice to others. Yes, I agree, they might as well sign a card that just says BE NICE TO OTHERS. But they chose not to. And YOU are sending a VERY UNGODLIKE BEHAVIORS and very UNGODLIKE signals to you children by having them NOT sign it just because it is about gay people.

Jesus loves the little children, all the children of the world, red and yellow black and GAY, they are precious in his SIGHT, JESUS LOVES THE LITTLE CHILDREN OF THE WORLD.

ALL OF THEM.
YOU WANT THEM TO TEACH CHILDREN TO HATE?

BTW You can't bully people into becoming christians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 01:16 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,923,274 times
I don't see why such a fuss. I don't think kindergarden is too young to talk about bullying. And I don't think it's too young for kids to know what "gay" means. People are saying that it's not age-appropriate because kids don't know about sex, but I don't think you have to talk about sex to talk about it either. Kids know what marriage is, they know they have a mommy and a daddy. And if their friend in class has two mommies, then they probably know that too. To say, "don't tease your friend because she has two mommies" does not seem so age-inappropriate to me. The pledge card also reads "3) Actively support safer schools efforts", which I think shows the intent of the lesson. The school says this was part of National Ally Week, which is an annual event, and has this statement: "Students learn the importance of being an ally when fellow students are being bullied or harassed... We apologize for any misunderstandings, however, we support curriculum that teaches the diversity of our society and complies with all state laws." The only reason that this made the news right now is because of the prop 8 vote - because somehow people are connecting this to gay marriage, which I really don't think it is related to.

Also, that was terrible reporting. "Are you taking this, and twisting it, to serve a political agenda?" she asks the spokesman for Yes on Prop 8, as though he's going to say "oh, yes, you caught me!"

Old 11-03-2008, 02:38 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
Nice, you've just Godwined this thread. You know what that means, right? Now, I could run crying to the mods saying you've personally attacked me, but I prefer that your comment stay out in the open.

Having the opinion that this "issue" is really a non-issue doesn't make me a Nazi, though I do like to wear boots...hmmmm...
I prefer to think of it as reductio ad hitlerum.

I can't condone any curriculum, program or activity that undermines parental authority (and yes, if your child comes home spouting gay and lesbian lobby rhetoric, that's undermining parental authority, just like if your child came home touting the advantages of the Aryan race). I don't care how pure the intentions are, if the school, state, government etc. etc. is trying to influence a child's morality and ethics, that's innappropriate and definitely overstepping bounds.

The business of parenting is the domain of the parent.

Old 11-03-2008, 02:44 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,917,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post

I can't condone any curriculum, program or activity that undermines parental authority (and yes, if your child comes home spouting gay and lesbian lobby rhetoric, that's undermining parental authority, just like if your child came home touting the advantages of the Aryan race). I don't care how pure the intentions are, if the school, state, government etc. etc. is trying to influence a child's morality and ethics, that's innappropriate and definitely overstepping bounds.
Now it's "rhetoric" to teach the kids to not be mean to others? Good to know, I'll keep that in mind.

Old 11-03-2008, 03:04 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,126,073 times
Quote:

Then feel free to homeschool your children or send them to private school that agrees with your sensibilities.

But if you have them at PUBLIC school then you have little say as to how to "teach" the class and what information to teach. The constitution has seperation of CHURCH and state but says nothing else about teaching tolerance.

How can anyone complain about learning to be tolerant of those different from you?

Old 11-03-2008, 03:05 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,923,274 times
Quote:

What? What if they are teaching kids not to bully others based on gender or race or height or weight? Is that undermining your authority too? I don't see why teaching kids not to bully others based on sexual orientation is such a terrible thing?

Old 11-03-2008, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Now it's "rhetoric" to teach the kids to not be mean to others? Good to know, I'll keep that in mind.
By signing this card, I, ________, am taking a stand for a safe and harrassment-free school for all students regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity/expression.

As an ally, I pledge to:

1) Not use anti-LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender) language or slurs.

2) Intervene, when I feel I can, in situations where others are using anti-LGBT language or harrassing other students.

3) Actively support safer schools efforts.

_________________ __________
(signature) (date)

I am not reading anything about "teaching kids not to be mean to others" here. This is rhetoric. Teaching kids "not to be mean" is simple, objective and a concept they can easily grasp. The above would be fine to present to young adults of majority age, not kindergarteners.

A five year old can barely write his or her name; this will require a lot of explanation. The kids aren't going to "get" sexual orientation or gender identity, they aren't "sexually oriented" at all yet. I don't want anyone hacking a synopsis of this election to my child, I will do the explaining when he's ready.

Old 11-03-2008, 03:21 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,917,755 times
Quote:
I will do the explaining when he's ready.
Gonna teach him about condoms after he comes home with a pregnant girlfriend too?

If you hate it that much, send him to a school that doesn't teach abhorrent "rhetoric" or home school him. *shrug*

Old 11-03-2008, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
What? What if they are teaching kids not to bully others based on gender or race or height or weight? Is that undermining your authority too? I don't see why teaching kids not to bully others based on sexual orientation is such a terrible thing?
Honest question: Do you really not see the difference between "Do not be a bully" and "By signing this card, I, ________, am taking a stand for a safe and harrassment-free school for all students regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity/expression.

As an ally, I pledge to:

1) Not use anti-LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender) language or slurs.

2) Intervene, when I feel I can, in situations where others are using anti-LGBT language or harrassing other students.

3) Actively support safer schools efforts." ?????

Old 11-03-2008, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Gonna teach him about condoms after he comes home with a pregnant girlfriend too?
Please explain your line of reasoning, because this seems to be beyond ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting