Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 08:47 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,402,853 times

Advertisements

"I am taking a stand for a safe and harassment-free school for all students, regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity/expression," read the pledges. "As an ally, I pledge to not use anti-LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender) language or slurs."

Breitbart.tv » Parents Upset Over Pro-Gay Pledge Cards Given to Kindergartners
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 08:53 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,227,964 times
Did they have Ace & Gary cartoon characters on the cards to make it more entertaining for the younger kids?

Old 11-03-2008, 08:57 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,897,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
"I am taking a stand for a safe and harassment-free school for all students, regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity/expression," read the pledges. "As an ally, I pledge to not use anti-LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender) language or slurs."

Breitbart.tv » Parents Upset Over Pro-Gay Pledge Cards Given to Kindergartners

Oh, waaah boo hoo! Someone is teaching our kids not to be little bigots! The horror! Oh, the humanity!

Really folks. Isn't there something better to complain about than this? How about the fact that our kids aren't even learning to READ? Hey, actually that's a good point. Our kids can't read, so this card can't have "harmed" them in any way.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:07 AM

8,307 posts, read 38,668,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
Oh, waaah boo hoo! Someone is teaching our kids not to be little bigots! The horror! Oh, the humanity!

Really folks. Isn't there something better to complain about than this? How about the fact that our kids aren't even learning to READ? Hey, actually that's a good point. Our kids can't read, so this card can't have "harmed" them in any way.
You would have made an excellent Nazi. The problem the parents are having is probably less to do with whether or not they agree with a pledge not to use anti-gay slurs and more to do with how much this resembles INDOCTRINATION. The school-board, the state and the nation have no right to inject politics into non-political beings (which is exactly what kindergarteners are) and parents have every right to try to influence their children's politics and world-view. I would perceive this as a grossly invasive and offensive measure.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:18 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,476,710 times
Sorry this pledge card would have come back to the school in itty bitty pieces.

I would never let my child sign something like this.

#1 they are too young to understand what this is all about
#2 The words people deem "offensive" change every day with whomever decides to take something the wrong way.

Don't raise my kid for me.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:26 AM

589 posts, read 1,629,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
(Said to SuSuSushi) You would have made an excellent Nazi. The problem the parents are having is probably less to do with whether or not they agree with a pledge not to use anti-gay slurs and more to do with how much this resembles INDOCTRINATION. The school-board, the state and the nation have no right to inject politics into non-political beings (which is exactly what kindergarteners are) and parents have every right to try to influence their children's politics and world-view. I would perceive this as a grossly invasive and offensive measure.
Wow.

And I agree with NOT giving these things to ANY child in school. Can you imagine my child's surprise when she wore a beloved shirt from a VBS (Vacation Bible School) and was told by another student that she can't wear something that says anything about God? She's in 3rd grade. But it would be ok to hand out this other stuff? Oh yeah... I'll go for that.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:52 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,688,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sum1Else View Post
Wow.

And I agree with NOT giving these things to ANY child in school. Can you imagine my child's surprise when she wore a beloved shirt from a VBS (Vacation Bible School) and was told by another student that she can't wear something that says anything about God? She's in 3rd grade. But it would be ok to hand out this other stuff? Oh yeah... I'll go for that.
Sad thing is the schools are trying to do this yet they won't do anything to stop the bullying of an average, normal kid. Like your childs classmate telling her she can't wear it because someone might be offended by it. Too bad. If they are offended then they don't need to read the shirt. It's not like it was promoting violence, drugs or alcohol.

BTW, my kids wear their VBS and church camp t-shirts to school and my oldest wears her FCA (Fellowship of Chirstian Athletes) tee to school. No one better say they can't either.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:16 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,227,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Sad thing is the schools are trying to do this yet they won't do anything to stop the bullying of an average, normal kid...
OT but at my kids' new school here in Kansas there is a big anti-bullying policy. They give the kids t-shirts and have worksheets with question/answer about bullying. And they dedicated a day of school for education about bullying. So some schools get it right. I wonder how long it will be before someone comes along and says we are warping their minds with this anti-bullying nonsense.

The basis of educating about bullying is to teach kids that it isn't good to pick on someone who is different and to stand up for other kids who may be the victims. Being different could mean anything from being nerdy, poor, gay, minority, etc. So my question here is: Why are they directing this at gays? Kindergartners don't even know what it means! Why don't they start with teaching them not to pick on each other over things kindergartners DO understand?

Old 11-03-2008, 12:58 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,479,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali's Grandma View Post
Sorry this pledge card would have come back to the school in itty bitty pieces.

I would never let my child sign something like this.

#1 they are too young to understand what this is all about
#2 The words people deem "offensive" change every day with whomever decides to take something the wrong way.

Don't raise my kid for me.
Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:10 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,897,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
You would have made an excellent Nazi. The problem the parents are having is probably less to do with whether or not they agree with a pledge not to use anti-gay slurs and more to do with how much this resembles INDOCTRINATION. The school-board, the state and the nation have no right to inject politics into non-political beings (which is exactly what kindergarteners are) and parents have every right to try to influence their children's politics and world-view. I would perceive this as a grossly invasive and offensive measure.
Nice, you've just Godwined this thread. You know what that means, right? Now, I could run crying to the mods saying you've personally attacked me, but I prefer that your comment stay out in the open.

Having the opinion that this "issue" is really a non-issue doesn't make me a Nazi, though I do like to wear boots...hmmmm...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting