Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 10:04 AM

285 posts, read 616,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
There were loaded, and accessible guns in my parents house when both me and my brother were this age. We are both still alive because my dad started us early. I had a respect for, and knew how to properly handle a firearm before I could spell my own name.
Hurray for your parents! Oddly enough, neither my siblings or I or any of my kids (all grown, out of house w/ kids of their own) ever shot anybody. And my grandkids haven't either. Yet we had guns around too. And used them. It had something to do w/ outdated ideas of disipline, respect, and unacceptable behaviors actually having consequences. My parents (and my husband & I, kids in their turn) believing that being a parent was of more importance than being a kid's best friend/buddy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2008, 06:59 PM

820 posts, read 1,202,731 times
Well put.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
Injuries that happen to children can happen for a variety of reasons, as we've already covered on this thread. It doesn't matter if they happen because they were injured with a tool, a conveyance of some sort, or a recreational item. The fact of the matter is that children are injured quite often because of the negligence of a child. All the talk about what guns were designed for simply illustrates the need to treat them with the utmost respect, and to know how to handle them if something goes wrong. This is why I strongly advocate gun safety training for children and adults alike.
Child safety is very important.
Much too important to be exploited as pawn to further the gun prohibition cause. A deservedly lost cause.
Hurt is hurt , dead is dead , regardless of the inanimate object involved.

Last edited by gbear48; 11-14-2008 at 07:08 PM.. Reason: Delete 'used' add exploited. Reason --clarity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting