U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 01:36 PM

144 posts, read 133,060 times

Advertisements

How much is too much. I heard this turns childrens brain
into mush with too much TV and or video games.
What cartoons are suitable and which are not recommended
for 4-5 years?
I have a 2 year old who luckily has no interest in any TV time.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 02:17 PM

1,036 posts, read 2,735,515 times
That is simple. Just don't start it. I think some children's tv is ok. Maybe watch Seseme Street daily. But at 2, more than an hour is too much. Even at 5 I think more than an hour is too much.

Karen

Old 11-17-2008, 02:18 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,532,990 times
I have a 3 year old, and I let her watch a fair amount of cartoons. I usually go for what is on Noggin or Sprout. She likes Disney cartoons (Cinderella, Lady & Tramp, etc.), but they throw around words like "stupid" and "idiot" that get repeated so that has lead to a few "we don't say that" conversations. She (and I) likes DragonTales, Clifford, Backyardigans, Charlie and Lola, Dora, and Blues Clues.

Old 11-17-2008, 03:01 PM

13,517 posts, read 30,054,576 times
I don't have as much of an issue with the programming, in general, as I do the amount of advertising. Currently, with our 2 y/o, we allow up to an hour of Seasame Street a day. It has no advertising (besides the organic food commercial and the 'Beaches' resorts ad), so I don't worry much about it. To tell the truth, she usually is demonstrating her recently perfected enunciation of 'outside' about halfway through. We are collecting up the DVDs for various children's shows/movies, and although we know that it is inevitable that she will be watching popular cartoons at some place at some time, we are putting it off as longs as possible.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:35 PM

282 posts, read 1,092,716 times
Some children's educational programming is very good. But, just like anything else, these programs are okay in moderation. Some computer games/video games are actually quite good for kids in terms of eye/hand coordination, problem solving and learning, but again....all in moderation. The parent needs to know what it is all about and engage the child about what he/she is watching and playing. Being an involved and informed parent is the most important part.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:41 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,044,972 times
We pretty much stick to PBS and the other stations that don't have commercials for our 3 yo. Well, at least not until the end of the show and we turn the TV off before the adverts are shown. The shows she watches are WordWorld, Blue's Clues, The Backyardigans, Dora, Diego, Max & Ruby, and Barney (sigh, yes). She gets an hour a day and an extra half-hour if I haven't help getting the kids into bed. Then, she gets a show while I put the baby to sleep. On her school days, she doesn't get any TV. We haven't shown her too many movies. Thus far she's seen "Cars" and a Penguin movie.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:07 AM

650 posts, read 2,012,098 times
Everything in moderation, I suppose. We didn't even have cable in our home until recently when our analog TV started to become obsolete (we lost 4 channels outof 6).

PBS offers some good quality programs for all ages and that is still mostly what I allow my kids to watch. My 4 year old son watches Arthur and Curious George every morning and occasionally something else throughout the day. He still really enjoys Baby Einstein DVDs and the Leap Frog learning movies, which are very educational.

As long as TV time is not interferring with free play time for a preschooler, and the shows are age appropriate, I don't see the harm.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:54 AM

144 posts, read 133,060 times
Thank you for everyones take on this topic.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:17 AM

4,469 posts, read 6,531,618 times
Coming in late: I had one kid who hated Sesame Street. I did, however, use tapes of Mr. Rogers for what we referred to as "The Arsenic Hour", that half-hour before dinner when everyone was frazzed and we could all benefit from some semi-=mindless quiet time. The man was like Baby Valium, and I loved him more than my luggage.
Overall, we avoided Nickelodeon like the plague (too many toy tie-ins) and limited Disney to one or two shows. PBS kids may not be as flashy or full of adult-level wisecracks, but-- aside from Elmo and that godawful Weezie from Dragon Tales-- they're not terribly shrill and annoying. Or at least they wreren't, my experience with PBS kids' shows has been pretty limited the last eight or ten years.

Old 12-20-2010, 06:52 AM

852 posts, read 1,215,669 times
The American Pediatrics Association says no more than 2 hours per day for older children and no t.v. at all for children under the age of two. During the week, my girls (7 and 11) usually don't watch any t.v., but sometimes they'll watch a little. On Saturday mornings, they may watch a couple of hours of cartoons or sometimes we watch a dvd on Friday or Saturday evening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or