Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 09:55 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,395,209 times

Advertisements

No, I don't make my son stay in bed when he is home "sick" from school. Sometimes he just needs a mental health day, sometimes he feels like getting up even though he has a fever or whatever. I don't care what he does, play video games or watch TV, or sit in the sun outside. I don't always stay in bed when I am home from work. I guess I don't understand the reasoning of making a kid stay in bed just because he is home from school. What's the point of that? I guess I don't get the purpose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 10:05 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,164,348 times
Yep , I always had to stay in bed, rest, no tv, but classical music on the radio for brain food. Could read, play barbies, or do arts & crafts...Gosh my mom was SO mean...........not!

Old 11-19-2008, 06:27 AM

841 posts, read 4,831,002 times
You're not being mean, you're being practical. My mom did the same thing. If I was really sick and had to stay home, the rule was I had to stay in bed all morning. Then my mom brought me lunch in bed (usually chicken soup or hot jell-o in a coffee mug). After a nap she'd finally let me come downstairs to watch TV in the afternoon. By that time I was so bored out of my mind I wished I had gone to school! But her method worked. RARELY did I want to stay home from school. Socializing at school and learning things were much more exciting!

Old 11-19-2008, 06:39 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,107,543 times
My son tried the I don't feel good routine 1 time. After a morning in bed he was begging me to TAKE him to school. No more playing hooky for him.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:55 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,484,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okpondlady View Post
If/When my daughters come up to sick to go to school, it is the general rule in our house that you MUST stay in bed, except for potty and meals. I don't think this is excessive. I can assure you if my daughters decide they are too sick for school, they are sick. There are no errands, meals out, friends over.....Unless you have to go to the doctor. Stay in bed and REST. Sleep. If you are sick, you need sleep. If you don't need sleep...then you can go to school.
Having said that the lady who informed me that I was mean is currently in trouble because HER son has skipped school so many times already this year that the counsellor from the school came to her house. They have suggested she home school him (I Know this is not a good answer) because she can't get him to go to school. He is 8. But.. I don't have THAT problem. Maybe I am mean, but there is alot of things my children don't EVEN TRY...like refusing to go to school.
Nope, not at all.

Pretty much the same thing in my home when I was growing up though we were allowed to watch the Price is Right in the morning.

When my mom thought we were starting to feel better or possibly trying to pull one over on her, she started in with the list of chores & jobs....we'd be back at school the next day

Old 11-19-2008, 07:10 AM

515 posts, read 1,553,713 times
We do the same. Not mean at all. Even on the "mental health days," they are in bed. Furthermore, if they miss school, no evening activities. If they miss on a Friday, no weekend activities, either. I'm such a terrible person...

Old 11-19-2008, 07:29 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,235,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okpondlady View Post
If/When my daughters come up to sick to go to school, it is the general rule in our house that you MUST stay in bed, except for potty and meals. I don't think this is excessive. I can assure you if my daughters decide they are too sick for school, they are sick. There are no errands, meals out, friends over.....Unless you have to go to the doctor. Stay in bed and REST. Sleep. If you are sick, you need sleep. If you don't need sleep...then you can go to school.
Having said that the lady who informed me that I was mean is currently in trouble because HER son has skipped school so many times already this year that the counsellor from the school came to her house. They have suggested she home school him (I Know this is not a good answer) because she can't get him to go to school. He is 8. But.. I don't have THAT problem. Maybe I am mean, but there is alot of things my children don't EVEN TRY...like refusing to go to school.
Sounds reasonable to me. Sick means sick. If a kid is too sick to be in school they need to have their butt in bed or on the couch or something. If they're jumping around acting like an idiot and wanting to go outside they need to be carted off to school.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:36 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,235,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Sometimes he just needs a mental health day.
Does your school policy have a provision for 'mental health' days?

Old 11-19-2008, 07:53 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,487,982 times
I wish alot more parents were as mean as you are!

Old 11-19-2008, 08:01 AM

2,540 posts, read 6,215,142 times
My dd loves school and would fight me to go even when sick. When she has had to stay home due to a fever, I have no problem setting her up all comfy on our couch recliner and letting her sleep there or watch something educational on TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting