Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 07:38 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,212,654 times

Advertisements

Your daughter is 18, a legal adult, time to make her take on some responsibility. Turn her into a tenant (technically she already is). Write up a rental agreement that has the house rules in it including her responsibilities to the house and penalties for damaged or missing items. You may even want to charge her a nominal fee for rent, food, and utilities. If you don't, make sure you put down that rent = $0.00 or something like an exchange. This way her responsibilities and punishments are codified and she'll have more reason to control her "friends" as it is in writing that she will be held responsible. She will also learn a valuable life lesson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 01:15 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,453,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
Sorry, but I totally agree with your husband. You are just going to have to suck it up until she leaves the house or ship her off to grandma's for the weekend. For me, it is exactly your job as a parent to "live [your] lives around this."

so at 18, she shouldn't be a responsible adult??? that is crazy. you shouldn't have to supervise an 18 year old. Lock up the valuable and go on the trip. if the place gets trashed, kick her out. seems simple to me. People need to quit babying their children.

Old 11-22-2008, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrfitchett4 View Post
so at 18, she shouldn't be a responsible adult??? that is crazy. you shouldn't have to supervise an 18 year old. Lock up the valuable and go on the trip. if the place gets trashed, kick her out. seems simple to me. People need to quit babying their children.

or, tell her to find somewhere else to stay for the weekend, change the locks and leave.

Old 11-22-2008, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacf1 View Post
There are just way too many things that can happen with an 18 year old left home alone for the weekend. I would wait a few years, unless you have somebody stay there too, or you follow colddiamond's great advice for her to find someplace else to stay (that will also be adult-chaperoned with an adult you trust) plus taking away the key til you get back. I'm 50 now, but my parents never ever ever left me home alone for even a night until I was 21 and it's a darn good thing they didn't!

this is just sad, very sad. This girl is an adult!!! Why does she need supervision??? They did their job, though obviously, something went wrong, and now they should be able to get away once in a while. Why were you still living at home at 21? were you that immature???

Old 11-22-2008, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
That may be years!
why would it be years? she is 18.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting