Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 04:50 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,127,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
So, here's my question to you all...do I call the mother again? Do I call the headmaster again? Do I call my friend again? I do not want to seem like a drama queen by calling but I would also hate for anything to happen to this young man....do you think this will trigger a crazy outburst against my son, his friend and our family?
I think you should call his mother.
If it were my child I would want the same courtesy extended to me.

The boy is basically crying out for help, if you ignore it and something happens you and your son will never forgive yourselves.

I think he has these outburts because he wants someone to help him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 05:08 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,251,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
I think you should call his mother.
If it were my child I would want the same courtesy extended to me.

The boy is basically crying out for help, if you ignore it and something happens you and your son will never forgive yourselves.

I think he has these outburts because he wants someone to help him.
I agree..I put a call into her just a moment ago...

This has been a crazy week between this and my grandmother...

Old 11-21-2008, 05:42 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,184,600 times
Mrstewert,

I think you are doing the right thing in terms of calling all parties involved but I might take it a bit further and notify my local law enforcement agency.

I hope your son and the young lady are safe and fine but I would put out an alert to the authorities as well.

This istuation is to be taken very serious as you are doing but as you have heard before, it's these same disturbed kids that make the headline news with those awful acts that they engage themselves in. I think you can read between the lines as it relates to what I am sayng.

I don't want to sound negitive but this kid could self destruct at any moment and I sure as heck would not want your son in the middle of it.

At the shelter, when a guy comes in with some sort of mental disorder and appears unstable, my first line of work is 1) to ensure the other clients are safe. (You've done this)

Next....

2) I ensure that the unstable person is not in any danger to himself, if they are, I am to call law enforcement. ( The kid sounds like he's a serious danger to himself and possibly others)

You have done step 1.

I think step 2 needs to be seriously considered. Even though the disturbed kid is 15 y/o, you have to protect yourself and your family.

Ron

Old 11-21-2008, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Mrstewert,

I think you are doing the right thing in terms of calling all parties involved but I might take it a bit further and notify my local law enforcement agency.

I hope your son and the young lady are safe and fine but I would put out an alert to the authorities as well.

This istuation is to be taken very serious as you are doing but as you have heard before, it's these same disturbed kids that make the headline news with those awful acts that they engage themselves in. I think you can read between the lines as it relates to what I am sayng.

I don't want to sound negitive but this kid could self destruct at any moment and I sure as heck would not want your son in the middle of it.

At the shelter, when a guy comes in with some sort of mental disorder and appears unstable, my first line of work is 1) to ensure the other clients are safe. (You've done this)

Next....

2) I ensure that the unstable person is not in any danger to himself, if they are, I am to call law enforcement. ( The kid sounds like he's a serious danger to himself and possibly others)

You have done step 1.

I think step 2 needs to be seriously considered. Even though the disturbed kid is 15 y/o, you have to protect yourself and your family.

Ron
That is great advice...thank you

Old 11-21-2008, 06:16 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,183,768 times
ditto everythign posted thus far, especially Ron...better safe than sorry. If toes get stepped, just say excuse me.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:49 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
Stay out of it. The child may be being abused, neglected, and manipulated. We don't know what goes on behind closed doors. The child is not a stalker. That is just a ludicrous term for this. The child is probably very needy and has sensitivity to rejection and separation anxiety. Probably needs a lot of attention and validation like some kids need.

You need to be really cautious and try and stay out of it. Protect your son. It is a good thing to talk over the phone and work things out like friends should do,but from what I comprehend the child is probably being abused or neglected. If the mental health professionals were so great then he wouldn't be acting so bizarre.

Like I've said before mental health professionals are a lot of times very incompetent and dismiss common sense.

I believe eventually this will blow over and all will be well.

School shootings are rare, killings are rare, stalking is rare, and I just think people are getting way too paranoid and this is just a storm that will calm itself.

The child might need to be removed from his parents. They might be bad influences too.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:59 PM

850 posts, read 3,158,814 times
Yesterday sort of hit me like a brick in the forehead...this kid went berzerk on my son because my son was talking to his female friend that the other kid likes "romantically" ,if there is such a thing at 15!

To begin, I absolutely assure you there is such a thing at that age, and it is usually stronger then than at any other time in their young lives.

The rest - by all means, keep in touch with the headmaster, the girl's mother, whomever you need to in order to make sure this does not escalate. I am not so sure about his parents, as it sounds as though their relating your conversation put him over the edge and caused him consequences - so it may be better to leave that path alone. I would hate to think he would blame your child and follow through on something.

I might try to convince the headmaster to suggest some sort of 'rehab' stay to the parents. Technically, if a child - or grown person threatens suicide,or hurting someone else, they are to be admitted to the hospital no questions asked. As and EMT, if I had a patient who told me she was going to kill herself, I would have to assume she had diminished mental capacity and take her, willing or not. to the hospital for eval.Threats on another person invovle the police, regardless of age.

If a person tells a doctor they are thinking of suicide, the doc is obligated to admit them.

This kid needs help, and 24 hour supervision. Check the laws in your state regarding the above info and present it to the headmaster. It is ultimately his responsibility if it's on school grounds.

In the meantime, I would do everything you can to keep your child away from him. No reason to take a chance. If he shows up on your doorstep, call the police and his mother.

I know this sounds a little overboard, but this kid means business and is seeking attention - ignoring it will make it worse.

I feel sorry for the child - you just cannot help but wonder what makes these young kids turn this way. My opinion is the media and the garbage they are exposed to 24/7 - but I am sure many disagree. However, it is certainly SOMETHING at the root, and it needs to be dealt with.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:03 PM

I need to add another piece to the story...he had restraining orders against him last year for "stalking" a girl at his former school...since I originally posted this story, he has called 8 times!

Old 11-21-2008, 09:07 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
I disagree. Do not call the police unless he has a weapon or is making serious scary threats.

If he shows up. Don't open the door. End of story.

People have mental breakdowns for various other reasons than the media. It is probably neglect or some kind of abuse or poor counseling or misdiagnosis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmieyky View Post
Yesterday sort of hit me like a brick in the forehead...this kid went berzerk on my son because my son was talking to his female friend that the other kid likes "romantically" ,if there is such a thing at 15!

To begin, I absolutely assure you there is such a thing at that age, and it is usually stronger then than at any other time in their young lives.

The rest - by all means, keep in touch with the headmaster, the girl's mother, whomever you need to in order to make sure this does not escalate. I am not so sure about his parents, as it sounds as though their relating your conversation put him over the edge and caused him consequences - so it may be better to leave that path alone. I would hate to think he would blame your child and follow through on something.

I might try to convince the headmaster to suggest some sort of 'rehab' stay to the parents. Technically, if a child - or grown person threatens suicide,or hurting someone else, they are to be admitted to the hospital no questions asked. As and EMT, if I had a patient who told me she was going to kill herself, I would have to assume she had diminished mental capacity and take her, willing or not. to the hospital for eval.Threats on another person invovle the police, regardless of age.

If a person tells a doctor they are thinking of suicide, the doc is obligated to admit them.

This kid needs help, and 24 hour supervision. Check the laws in your state regarding the above info and present it to the headmaster. It is ultimately his responsibility if it's on school grounds.

In the meantime, I would do everything you can to keep your child away from him. No reason to take a chance. If he shows up on your doorstep, call the police and his mother.

I know this sounds a little overboard, but this kid means business and is seeking attention - ignoring it will make it worse.

I feel sorry for the child - you just cannot help but wonder what makes these young kids turn this way. My opinion is the media and the garbage they are exposed to 24/7 - but I am sure many disagree. However, it is certainly SOMETHING at the root, and it needs to be dealt with.

Old 11-22-2008, 07:25 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
I need to add another piece to the story...he had restraining orders against him last year for "stalking" a girl at his former school...since I originally posted this story, he has called 8 times!
I would continue to call his Mother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting