Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 02:23 PM

904 posts, read 2,864,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
1,700.00 A month for two kids. I know hard working people that would like to earn that. Mind if I ask why it's that high?
He made 2.4 million dollars, yes million in one year. (2006) This past year (2007)he made over 600K. Believe me, the 1700 a month is low. He has no other children and doesn't pay for anything for our kids outside the child support. Not a pair of shoes, not a college education, nothing. I had to fight for the 1700. a month. I know it is high for most people but not for him. Oh and don't forget the fact that he has paid nothing in 7 months. Now he will not even pay to fly his kids to see him for Christmas. His loss, not mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2008, 09:57 AM

3,872 posts, read 8,686,898 times
My dh pays $300/month plus insurance for his son from a previous marriage. We also send extra money any time we can afford it - like when we sold our house we sent a couple of thousand so hubby's ex could buy a car to get around better (we're all on really good terms w/ each other). But right now we're struggling just to pay for ourselves and our 3 who live w/ us, no extra $. Hopefully that will change next year.

Old 11-29-2008, 11:09 AM

12,973 posts, read 3,215,383 times
So many factor go into determining a non custodial parents child support obligation.....earned income, amount of nights children are with the non custodial parent, who is covering health insurance. My ex and I have shared custody...me 66.6% and him 33.3%. He covers the health insurance. His obligation for 4 children is $600 monthly. Since we have been apart he has purchased many investment properties which generate income he can use as tax right offs and business losses. He makes more money than shows on paper, so I am unable to adjust the children's support amount. Ridiculous. I am the parent who remains flexible with the kids staying more with me, but he doesn't exercise the same courtesy so I can do things. It is very frustrating. He has a very "bitter" opinion of paying child support...but when I hear of men paying over $1000 for one child...I'm the one who feels bitter. I still reside in the same humble doublewide I was in when we split up 8 years ago. He has moved to "many" homes.....in the country so the kids would have a nice yard to play in. Yes...I am envious...I can not uproot as easily and I have remained in my kids school district so they wouldn't have to start over somewhere else. Sorry i went off on a tangent.

Old 11-29-2008, 11:37 AM

2 posts, read 2,539 times
Default support reply

No it is not. When I was getting support for my kids, I was getting $104 per week. Not a month. For just one. And $130 per week for two before my son turned 18. So I think he is getting off luky.
My ex thought he shouldn't pay either. He even tried to get me to agree to sign him off as the father just so he would not have to pay anymore. As much as I would have loved to get him out of my life, he was their father. He had a responsability as their father. And I was not going to hurt those kids like that.
Now that my kids are grown up and moved out, they have nothing to do with him. Their own choice. Your Ex is only digging a hole for himself. And I would go to court and get support raised. And I would have it garnished from his check. that is what I had to do. And that is what alot of others do now to. Some court systems make it a requirement.
My ex told me that had it not been for me doing it that way, that I would never get any money. And since they had their SS#, everytime he quite his job and gets a new one to evade support, they'll find him. The only other thing he can do is get paid CASH.
Good luck

Old 11-29-2008, 12:57 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,185,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VBmom View Post
He made 2.4 million dollars, yes million in one year. (2006) This past year (2007)he made over 600K. Believe me, the 1700 a month is low. He has no other children and doesn't pay for anything for our kids outside the child support. Not a pair of shoes, not a college education, nothing. I had to fight for the 1700. a month. I know it is high for most people but not for him. Oh and don't forget the fact that he has paid nothing in 7 months. Now he will not even pay to fly his kids to see him for Christmas. His loss, not mine.
If he makes that , I understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting