Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 09:03 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times

Advertisements

Just wondering how any of you have, or would, or should relate to a pre-pubescent boy who begins to exhibit cross-dressing. A little boy who likes to dress up in mommy's clothes, or has an unusual attration to tactile stimulation from women's clothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 09:18 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,442,839 times
If he were my child, I would immediately be concerned he was trangender. I would watch him carefully to see what gender he was emotionally and psychologically. If he insisted he was a girl, without a doubt, I would treat him as a girl and let him dress as a girl and get him started on estrogens before puberty so he did not morph into a man. I'd then help him get a sex change operation at age 18 or so.

For those who are upset by what I'm saying, please take a moment to watch this excellent 20/20 program on transgender children with Barbara Walters:

Part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Utpam0IGYac

Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8F9C...eature=related

Part 3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W17z...eature=related

Part 4:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSkQl...eature=related

Part 5:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib_yE...eature=related

Last edited by Woof Woof Woof!; 11-23-2008 at 09:28 PM..

Old 11-24-2008, 01:31 AM

262 posts, read 1,042,516 times
I would take the child to see a psychologist and get their professional opinion.

Old 11-24-2008, 05:29 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Woof, I believe the number of transgenered children is extremely tiny compared to the number who carry a latent or overt tendency toward crossdressing. Furthermore, there is a wide body of opinion that cross-dressing males are no more likely to be homosexual than the general population. Thirdly, from what I have read, this tendency never goes away and more harm can be done by efforts to put shame or guilt on it.

The reason I raised this is because everything I have read or hard from professionals suggests that there is a huge mythology built up around this behavior. I have even heard statistics from the women's clothing industry that about 10% or more of all women's intimate wear is sold to and/or worm by men.

Last edited by jtur88; 11-24-2008 at 05:48 AM..

Old 11-24-2008, 05:48 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,979,824 times
How old is the boy? My son liked to wear my "fancy" shoes when he was 3 or 4, and sometimes he wore girly scrunchies in his hair when it was long enough. At nearly 8, he was horrified the other day when I grabbed a pair of $1 black stretch gloves as an extra pair of gloves for him out of the girls section at walmart. I pointed out that they were exactly the same as the ones that they sold in the boys section, only they did not come with a hat and cost $4, but he kept insisting that he could not possibly wear something from the girl section. I bought them anyway and figure that if he loses his gloves, he will probably choose warmth over such vanity, LOL.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. Young children copy what they see each day, and if your son is spending most of his time with mommy, it's natural that he'll want to copy her. It's really not a reason to launch a psychological evaluation or anything like that.

If we're talking about a 8, 9, 10 year old, though, then maybe there is a deeper issue... or maybe he just isn't "socialized" to follow the crowd in matters of fashion.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Woof, I believe the number of transgenered children is extremely tiny compared to the number who carry a latent or overt tendency toward crossdressing. Furthermore, there is a wide body of opinion that cross-dressing males are no more likely to be homosexual than the general population. Thirdly, from what I have read, this tendency never goes away and more harm can be done by efforts to put shame or guilt on it.

The reason I raised this is because everything I have read or hard from professionals suggests that there is a huge mythology built up around this behavior. I have even heard statistics from the women's clothing industry that about 10% or more of all women's intimate wear is sold to and/or worm by men.
Well, maybe he'll become the next big fashion designer. Who knows? I guess we could go to Salvation Army and pick him out some nice skirts.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:12 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
Many boys like to play dress-up, it means nothing.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:50 AM

I think what the OP is saying is that lots of men like to play dress up. Even from childhood they love the feel and touch of women's clothing. They dream of wearing something silky with lace on it.

You have to admit, it is so much more interesting being a woman. We get to live in this wonderful world of nice clothing and girly stuff. Some men want that, too. Thus, as wives, some of us find our husbands wearing our clothes when we are not around. This behavior can start as early as childhood.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:52 AM

2,868 posts, read 9,550,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar5822 View Post
I would take the child to see a psychologist and get their professional opinion.

This is what my initial step would be. I would certainly respect my child's feelings and would want to know how to handle this delicate situation. I am all for letting kids be who they want to be but I certainly would not be pumping hormones into his little body until we were for sure that is what he wants.

Old 11-25-2008, 12:28 AM

262 posts, read 1,042,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
I think what the OP is saying is that lots of men like to play dress up. Even from childhood they love the feel and touch of women's clothing. They dream of wearing something silky with lace on it.

You have to admit, it is so much more interesting being a woman. We get to live in this wonderful world of nice clothing and girly stuff. Some men want that, too. Thus, as wives, some of us find our husbands wearing our clothes when we are not around. This behavior can start as early as childhood.
I dunno about all this, they do make mens clothing with silk, which is about as nice as it gets. Silk pj's and sometimes boxers are the ****, but I won't be trying on my girlfriends teddy anytime soon. Oh and silk bedding is awesome except for the pillows flying off the bed lol. I think there is something else going on there, especially in todays world where it's ok for men to wear stuff that would be considered girly in the past. It's one thing for boys under 5 or 6, but older than that I'd look into what's causing the behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting