Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 11:56 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,923,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodi View Post
What I have done is tell my daughter that hitting hurts and that I don't like it when she hits. If she does it again I will walk away.

I don't believe that hitting her back will teach her anything other then it is OK to hit.

It is a phase and it will end.
Ditto here with my 2.5 year old girl.

I also tell her I want her to use gentle touches, and she will give me a hug.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 06:25 PM

809 posts, read 2,883,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movie Lover View Post
Then she will remember the smacks when she gets older and call child services to press charges on her parents.

NOT TRUE!

Gimme a break people. Kids getting spanked is SUCH a ridiculous issue! I remember VERY vividly getting spanked for misbehaving. I NEVER viewed it as abuse! NEVER. whenever I misbehaved when I was little I got swatted on the butt by my mom and dad and it WORKED. I stopped the behavior VERY fast so that I wouldn't have to get that smack on the butt!

If I was REALLY bad (like I hit my sister or did something I KNEW was wrong but did it anyway) my dad would lay me across his lap and give me a FEW swats, not just one. I usually cried like I was being murdered but I was more crying because my dad was upset with me, I wasn't really crying from it hurting so much. It NEVER hurt to the point that I would consider it abuse. It hurt to the point that I KNEW I was in trouble and I would NEVER repeat the behavior I had done to result in getting spanked!

Old 12-05-2008, 06:33 PM

809 posts, read 2,883,759 times
spanking does NOT teach that it's ok to hit...... it teaches the child that if THEY don't like it, then others won't like being hit EITHER. SO they SHOULDN'T hit since THEY don't like it.

Same goes for a LOT of other things that the child could be doing wrong. When a child won't share, you take away whatever they are playing with and pretend that you're not giving it back, ask them if they like it when you don't share with them.... and when they say no, then you let them know they should share with people since they don't like it when you won't share with them.......

it's the same principle. it's just in human nature that if you as a human don't like something you shouldn't do it to other humans........ the whole eye for an eye thing like another poster said

Old 12-05-2008, 08:21 PM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times
VRE, this may be a little off subject, but the talk of her hitting got me remembering my younger years! I just remember bits and pieces but my mother still loves to bring it up around others all the time! lol
When I was about 2 or 3 I had to wear special shoes which included steel toes. For some reason I started kicking people...didn't matter who! Spankings didn't work. Then, one day when our pastor came to visit and I bruised his shin big time, my dad dragged me to the bathroom, locked the door and started kicking both my legs. He said I looked like the guy in the old westerns where they shot around his feet to make him dance. After a few minutes of that he let me sit there and cry. My parents said it took me a long time before I would even kick a ball! I know today, he would be in jail for that, but it sure worked wonders on me then!
I am NOT saying that's what you need to do! I was just telling what happened to me when I was doing something like that in the late 50s/early 60s.

Old 12-06-2008, 12:25 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,180,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruFiend View Post
spanking does NOT teach that it's ok to hit...... it teaches the child that if THEY don't like it, then others won't like being hit EITHER. SO they SHOULDN'T hit since THEY don't like it.

Same goes for a LOT of other things that the child could be doing wrong. When a child won't share, you take away whatever they are playing with and pretend that you're not giving it back, ask them if they like it when you don't share with them.... and when they say no, then you let them know they should share with people since they don't like it when you won't share with them.......

it's the same principle. it's just in human nature that if you as a human don't like something you shouldn't do it to other humans........ the whole eye for an eye thing like another poster said

Do you have kids? Sounds like you're working very hard on #2 in your knowledge test. Good luck and keep up the hard work!!! //www.city-data.com/forum/paren...ving-baby.html

Old 12-07-2008, 09:55 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
Normal behavior for a 2 year old. Developmental stage they go through. If you over react, it's worse. Try not giving too much attention to it. Ignore, divert and repeat.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:11 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,325,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
Normal behavior for a 2 year old. Developmental stage they go through. If you over react, it's worse. Try not giving too much attention to it. Ignore, divert and repeat.

thanks for all your help on this thread.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:41 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodi View Post
Do you have kids? Sounds like you're working very hard on #2 in your knowledge test. Good luck and keep up the hard work!!! //www.city-data.com/forum/paren...ving-baby.html
I have 4 kids and think SubaruFiend nailed the answer right on target. Small children can't reason like an adult, so trying to reason with them about the moral and ethical issues on things is fruitless. An occasional quick swat on the diapers doesn't hurt either physically or emotionally, and they get the feedback needed right then for their actions. Notice I said OCCASIONAL here. If they get it every time they breath wrong or do something slightly against the household rules, then it is excessive and will not work. If it is unexpected and "jars" their little frame of reference, then it will have meaning to it.

BTW, all 4 of my boys are well adjusted and do great in any social situation you may want to place them into. They are well behaved and very happy kids in their day to day lives.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:46 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,263,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
I have a 2.5 year old daughter. When she gets mad, she will use her right hand and hit my leg, or hit my wife's leg, or hit the wall when she gets mad. I'm not sure how to stop this and tried many methods. I have made her do a 5 minute time-out in the corner, for a few months and it's not working. I have said NO very loudly, and NO in a normal tone, but it's not stopping. My daughter also kicked me and kicked her baby cousin.

I forgot to mention, this hitting thing only happen mostly in the present of 2 or more people. When my daughter is together with me, and wife is not around, this behavior does not happen.

I am out of ideas. I am not sure what to do.... maybe you could all help me?

Thanks
I usually catch my son's fist in mid swing, spin him around, and drag him to time out where we have a discussion about why it's bad to hit.

Old 12-09-2008, 01:36 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Our daughter went through this phase. We would tell her "we don't hit in this family" and put her in time-out. Of course you can only say that if you're a non-spanking household. Needless to say, she outgrew the phase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting