Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 08:11 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,717,167 times

Advertisements

My daughter has decided that she wants to go to the same restaurant where my wife and I had our first date. So that's where we're headed for dinner. She's also chosen the Holidazzle parade. It's a parade through a portion of downtown Minneapolis and all the floats are Christmas themed and with Christmas lights.

We've lived in Minnesota for 5 years and still haven't gone to the Holidazzle! Can't wait! We'll probably have to stop off somewhere sweet for dessert and to warm our feet after the parade.

Last edited by Hoosier; 11-29-2008 at 08:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2008, 08:14 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,038,861 times
I get it now. You mean you are taking your daughter out.

Old 11-29-2008, 08:38 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,717,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movie Lover View Post
I get it now. You mean you are taking your daughter out.
Yeah, it's a date, just like if I were to take my wife out. I do this because first, I want my daughter to feel special and loved. Second, I do it because I want her to know how a boy should treat her while out on a date. And lastly, I want her to have good memories of growing up knowing that she was loved by her daddy.

On her birthdays I give her one pink rose for every year. I started this tradition on her first birthday. In a few months she'll be 10 and she is more excited about getting ten pink roses from daddy than anything else on her birthday. Granted you know she's excited about the cake, party etc. But, wow, as a dad to hear that she loves the pink roses means the world to me.

Old 11-29-2008, 09:40 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,038,861 times
You are a positive role model for all to see.

I don't usually cry, but this is touching. (I'm a 26 yo Brit male with a violent temper at most times)!

Old 12-01-2008, 08:52 AM

2,905 posts, read 7,347,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
Bowling is a great idea! We did miniature golf on our last date night. That one is always a winner. I even offered to go roller skating with her! Not sure that's a safe idea on my end...as I'll more than likely end up on my rear end!
bowling is great and my son and I have a special night, a lot of times we go rollerskating.
i also love the pottery idea, my son loves that.

Since she is a girl, maybe something girly, like one of those bead shops where they teach you how to make a bracelet.

or so she doesn't end up to fru-fru girly girly, is there a place with a rock climbing wall or something that physical she can try? You could find some kind of class to take with her, like CPR or an art class or whatever.

Maybe you can sometimes do a Saturday so you can have a picnic or take a hike, or do pedal boats, go fishing or any number of daytime activities.

How about an arcade? Or a museum? There is always the movies.

Though, I think the best kind of place is somewhere you can talk. This is one of the best things you can do with your children, is have an open line of communication with them. These dates may become so important to her as she gets older. I envision her wanting to tell you something all week, but saving it up for date night when you are together in private.

Do keep up the tradition!

And I love the roses, so fancy for a girl!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Take her to a soup kitchen and help serve and or clean up. You can have nice time together and also show her the fulfillment that comes from helping others
This is a great idea and perfect for her age group. You could also do an old age home, the pediatrics ward of a hospital, etc...

Old 01-01-2011, 05:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,755 times
I realize this is an old thread but wanted to share some ideas that might help any dads who find this. I feel like an expert. My dad and I did 'father-daughter dates' regularly (at least once a month but usually weekly) for as long as I can remember until I moved out of state to college.

One of my favs was when we took ballroom dance lessons together when I was about twelve. After a few of the weekly lessons he was really good at it too. We have danced beautifully together at many family events ever since, including at my wedding. We also took Indian cooking, scuba, photography, tai chi, and pottery lessons together. Lessons of any kind are a great way to try out new things while sharing quality time.

Another date that leaps to memory was my fifteenth birthday visit to our local botanical gardens. My dad set up a surprise scavenger hunt ahead of time. It involved the scientific names of plants. The object was to find one of my presents (a prepaid phone card- a huge deal to me at that point in the days before cell phones and unlimited calling.) It was really clever and fun and must have taken him a lot of time and effort to pull off.

Great easy (not to mention cheap) dates were art gallery shows. I found it all terribly exciting and grown up- getting dressed up to see art, meeting the artists and other terribly interesting people, overhearing conversations while sipping soda water out of a wine glass! We always had plenty to talk about afterwards too and some of that involved the art even.

Don't forget nature hikes, parks, the aquarium, the zoo, the library, museums, fishing, the community swimming pool or beach, - dates don't have to be extravagant to be mutually super fun, educational, and memorable years later. Sometimes sharing a soggy hot dog in the rain at a local junior high ball game is just as good if not better than trying the lobster at a famous chef's restaurant.

My dad would ask me to plan upcoming dates sometimes, which took the heat for being endlessly inventive off of him. He'd tell me our budget and our time frame and set a deadline for hearing my idea. We went over the specifics together before the date so that he had time to work out any bugs in the details. He was always a good sport and generally up for doing just about anything I suggested- once. I got him to a charity fashion show date and a salon date compete with father-daughter facials- ah the memories!

Giving your daughter your precious time and undivided attention especially when she knows you are busy, busy, busy is proof-positive of your love and respect for her. It builds her self-esteem and creates memories that last a lifetime and probably will get handed down to the next generation as well.

I for one did look for all my dad's great qualities in every single prospective date. I had obscenely high standards. Better still, I ended up marrying yet another true prince among men. My dad calls him the son he never had until now.

My own daughter, just turned two in November, already goes on dates with both her dad and her grand-dad. Now I've discovered the other side of the coin! On date nights, I get to enjoy some blessed alonetime- like I'm sure my mom and every other mom needs, as much as all fathers and daughters need their time together

Last edited by GBesa; 01-01-2011 at 05:40 PM..

Old 01-01-2011, 10:47 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
When my step daughter was that age, she loved going to major league baseball games---knew all the players and collected baseball cards. We even took road trips to some games in other cities. Just the two of us.

Check out pro sports events, like hockey or basketball this time of year.

Old 01-02-2011, 05:17 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,346,115 times
Our local rec center has a "Daddy/daughter date night" a couple of times a year. It is a dance, with a snack buffet and games (it's geared for up to junior high age). My daughters enjoyed them, and so did DH.

Old 05-21-2011, 01:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,550 times
my dad doesn't spend a lot of time with me anymore. He used to coach my intramural bball when i was little, but doesn't make any effort anymore. My sister had to sign him up before he'd go. His thought is, if i wanna "daddy-daughter" date, i have to come up with it. I'd really like to do sumthin special for Father's Day....but I have NO money....i am almost 21 and have too many bills....IDEAS PLEASE???

Old 05-21-2011, 04:06 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Why not just invite him to breakfast? That can be done inexpensively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting