Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 04:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,188 times

Advertisements

Why dont u take her to a mini golf course ( putt putt) and then suprise her and take her to her favorite restaraunt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 02:47 AM

7 posts, read 7,127 times
That is so sweet! It's important for parents to date their kids at least twice a month or if you can why not every weekend so they would feel that you are interested to know the things they want to share with you. I guess you should date your daughter in a place where she can enjoy. When my father is alive he used to bring us in parks and do some picnic. But I guess the best thing to do is ask your daughter. Enjoy!

Old 02-19-2012, 03:02 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,239,527 times
If she's 8, why not real golfing instead of just putt putt?
I remember as a kid that restaurants weren't as special as DOING things. Learning new things. Feeling like adults took us seriously enough to try to share a skill with us and do that thing with us.
I loved that my dad taught me to shoot pool. Or that both my parents taught me tennis and golf. And then played with me (I am sure THAT was not interesting at first for them).
Or took me to drive (go carts, of course!). But made it a real driving lesson, too.
Or took me to fish or showed me how to steer a boat.

Of course, this is child-dependent. If your child loves to dress up (my little brother loved to wear his suit and then chase girls), take them somewhere fancy to show off their manners - then teach 'em all about which fork to use, how to put on your napkin, etc). If they love animals, take them somewhere they can learn about them and maybe even hold and pet them. Etc, etc, etc.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:38 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,633,944 times
The term "daddy-daughter date night" creeps me out. Parents do not date their children.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:47 AM

2,716 posts, read 5,349,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
The term "daddy-daughter date night" creeps me out. Parents do not date their children.
I'm glad you said that because it creeped me out too.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:49 PM

2,449 posts, read 3,199,780 times
Quote:
Does the term "play date" creep you out as well? It isn't as though parents are trying to hook their kids up.

A date doesn't have to be romantic.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:21 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,633,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
Does the term "play date" creep you out as well? It isn't as though parents are trying to hook their kids up.

A date doesn't have to be romantic.
Well, that's true. Good point. The phrasing just made me think of the unhealthy dependent relationships that some people have with their kids. I realize that not all families are like this.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:26 PM

973 posts, read 2,138,473 times
My Mom had bowling on Tuesday nights, & golf on Friday nights, or vice versa, I forget which. lol My Dad took my sis & I to McD's those nights, & brought us home a candy bar. We loved it! Looked forward to it! I need to do this more w/ my kids individually, as maybe hubby too. Usually we like to go all together. But, one one one would be beneficial, I'd think. =)

Old 02-23-2012, 05:53 AM

7 posts, read 7,127 times
Quote:
Well, that's true. Good point. The phrasing just made me think of the unhealthy dependent relationships that some people have with their kids. I realize that not all families are like this.
I got you point here.. yeah that might not be the good phrase for it. It could be better than play date. Why not "bonding day" for father and daughter? What do you think?

Old 02-23-2012, 07:58 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,385,627 times
"Date Night" kinda creeps me out to - although I'm all for Dads spending one on one time with their daughters. I think "date" creeps me out becuase (in my mind ) I associate it with purity rings and purity dances...

I'm not sure I agree with dating your daughter as a way to show her how to act or what to expect on a date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting