Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 01:09 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,510,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post

I was on the steering committee for my MOPS group. We paid an amount so astronomically low I was absolutely stunned our workers kept coming back. I would not work in the nursery for 2.5 hrs for $15, but the adult leaders did and the teen helpers made $10.
As am I.

Our MOPPETS get $2/child per meeting. Our meetings are 2 hours. The teenagers do it for their volunteer hours for high school requirements, etc. The MOPPETS in our group are amazing. Most are empty-nesters or moms with kids in the school who make a few extra bucks that week. What amazes us is how many will NOT take EXTRA $$ (some give more money or cover down for the moms who don't have the $$) and some of the MOPPETS never even take the $$!!!

Our toddler room can get up to 18-20 toddlers, so I am amazed with the patience & care our MOPPETS have. We did put together gift bags at our last meeting though..still, I couldn't do what they do...but we couldn't have our MOPS group without them, so it's just very appreciative.

It takes me more than a few minutes to get my son to leave the playroom as he has to say goodbye & hug the MOPPETS workers and of course touch every last toy on his way out the door I feel very safe leaving him with the volunteers. One of them even lives on my street which makes it better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 01:13 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
Babysitters dont need to be cpr certified? So let's stare at the unconcious child until the medics get there!
Most parents aren't CPR certified.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:19 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,066,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Few parents are CPR certified. YET THE KIDS LIVE!!! Go figure. I have a 33 year old daughter and a 15 year old daughter and NEITHER have ever been unconscious. Must be I did a good job.

I babysat for close to 100 kids in my teen years and NONE of them were ever unconscious. I'M BATTING 1000 !!!

Old 06-02-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Most parents aren't so super duper fantastic as some posters...no wait, see, those posters probably don't even really have children...something has to explain it....

It's actually very easy & many times free to get CPR certified. A lot of times the classes are offered on Sat mornings & about 2-3 hours. My husband's employer requires yearly recertification based on their health care/wellness philosophy & offer it during the work day for the employees.

The rules for our sitters are very simple: CPR certified, no chatting on the cell phone, & no friends over. Our sitters are all from the same family of EIGHT girls & we love 'em. They are part of our extended family now.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Most parents aren't so super duper fantastic as some posters...no wait, see, those posters probably don't even really have children...something has to explain it....

It's actually very easy & many times free to get CPR certified. A lot of times the classes are offered on Sat mornings & about 2-3 hours.

The rules for our sitters are CPR certified, no chatting on the cell phone, & no friends over. Our sitters are all from the same family of EIGHT girls & we love 'em. They are part of our extended family now.
CPR certification here is about $50.00. Ain't cheap in these parts.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
Ours is at the YMCA for $18 or the rec center for $20.

$50! That's a little steep.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
My son is CPR and First Aid Certified.

It didn't cost anything through the boy scouts.

Guess what? I'm not certified in anything.

Nevermind that I actually know first aid and CPR anyway....

It's not rocket science.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Ours is at the YMCA for $18 or the rec center for $20.

$50! That's a little steep.
The local rec department offers it about once a year ($50.00), and the fire department offers it about once a year ($50.00).

Old 06-02-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
My son is CPR and First Aid Certified.

It didn't cost anything through the boy scouts.

Guess what? I'm not certified in anything.

(Nevermind that I actually know first aid and CPR anyway.)

It's not rocket science.
So you don't need to be special to know that stuff? I mean, REAL special?

I know you're special, but... you know what I mean..

Old 06-02-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Few parents are CPR certified. YET THE KIDS LIVE!!! Go figure. I have a 33 year old daughter and a 15 year old daughter and NEITHER have ever been unconscious. Must be I did a good job.

I babysat for close to 100 kids in my teen years and NONE of them were ever unconscious. I'M BATTING 1000 !!!
I haven't killed anyone yet either!

Must be luck, huh?

I just think it's a little ridiculous for people to assume that CPR certification means anything--especially when it comes to teens. I tried to hire a teenager once when my son was 2-ish. She was CPR certified. I had her come over for a day while I was at home--so I could see how she was with my son while I got housework and errands done. I went to the store for 15 minutes, and came back to the horror that she had put my son in his crib with a balloon. He was all tangled up in the ribbon and screaming. He could have died. THAT'S why I never hired a teenager to watch my children. CPR certification is no guarantee that someone has basic common sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting